News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

Re: A memorable, quirky week in England & Wales - now featuring Painswick
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 09:17:38 PM »
Thanks for posting that thread Bill.  I don't think I had seen it before. 

Kevin,
According to google maps, it's a mere 163 miles from LHR to Kington.  So if you can average 40 miles per hour, it's doable in four hours. I wish we had more time to look around on the way.

James Boon

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 08:46:12 AM »
John,

Great stuff! I love the Painswick pictures, especially that arrow. Do you remember which hole that was on?

Regarding the 5th, I'd love to stand on the ridge and watch several groups play there approach shots, as from my experience it seems that the puncbowl effect of the green gathers the ball in from just about anywhere.

Thanks for the link to my old thread on Painswick, which also acted as a useful reminder to finish off updating the picture links. These should be sorted now, so feel free to go back for further browsing everyone!

And I have to ask, I don't suppose you remember where that Squirrel crossing sign was do you? I can add it to the Otters Crossing sign I saw on the way to Askernish!

I hope you have some pics of Burnham & Berrow, though part of me is dreading what you might have photographed out there...  ;D

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

John Mayhugh

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 09:44:03 AM »
James,
The arrow at Painswick pointed the way to the 6th tee.

I spotted the squirrel sign around Edge somewhere on our way to Haresfield & the M5.

Will post Burnham & Berrow pics tonight or tomorrow.

John Mayhugh

After successfully avoiding crossing squirrels, we hustled down the M5 to a delightful course located between Burnham-on-Sea & Berrow.  After trips around Kington & Painswick, I had to adjust to a bit more conventional style of course.  Burnham & Berrow is anything but boring, with holes through the dunes, marsh, blind shots, and a truly memorable finish.  

I suggest checking out Sean Arble’s IMO piece for more detail on the course.
http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/burnham-berrow-golf-club

Directional assistance for the approach to the excellent third hole.  Avoid bunkers off the tee, & your approach may be blind.

After a couple of rounds playing on hills, finally a view of the sea!

First two courses were bunkerless, this one wasn’t.  The course doesn’t rely on bunkers as much as many links do, but still several of the deep variety.  My ineptitude from the sand on this trip made me long for Kington.

A favorite sight on British seaside courses.  

I wonder how many life preservers at Celtic Manor?

The strange grass hazards on the 8th.

The tenth requires a blind tee shot over a dune that is much taller than it appears in this photo.

Be sure to ring the bell.

On the 11th hole, you get to start looking forward to the iconic church tower.

Stunning.

Golfers aren’t the only people using the course.

The public path to the beach makes a nice sandy hazard.  Grounding my club didn’t help.

The day ended beautifully.  I would have loved to go back out, but beer, dinner, & Porthcawl beckoned.

I saw a similar admonition at some of the other clubs I visited.  

I wish this photo had come out better.  I really liked the last line on the sign:  “If you are in any doubt about what you are wearing, then it is probably unacceptable!”

Burnham & Berrow was hugely fun.  I loved the variety of holes and the fact that almost all seemed to play with a side wind.   James Boon & Sean Arble have chosen well.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 10:18:26 PM by John Mayhugh »

Eric Smith

Looks like loads of fun John, thanks for the tour. One regret for sure not going down there to play with you guys. It'll be on the docket next year I have no doubt. [IF James or Sean will have me, of course!]

Jason Topp

B&B was the big surprise for me on the trip.  I did not know much about it but thought it sat on terrific ground and provided a high quality straightforward test (at least compared to other venues on the trip).  James Boon was a terrific host and after Painswick and Kington it was nice to not worry about cow pies for an afternoon.

Incidentally James explained that the long grass in the eighth fairway exists due to an environmentally sensitive flower growing in those locations.

James Boon

John,

More excellent pictures! I'm guessing it wasn't your group that spotted the snake on the 12th fairway then otherwise we would have been seeing him as well?  ;)

It was a pleasure to be able to show you guys around Burnham, and if any of you make your way that way again (or for the first time Eric) be sure to let me know!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Pearce

James,

I think you will recall that we managed to work out that the reason only one group saw the snake was because it was in the middle of the fairway.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Warren

Great update John. That is a fantastic photo of the church tower and 12th green from short right.

Bill_McBride

James,

I think you will recall that we managed to work out that the reason only one group saw the snake was because it was in the middle of the fairway.

By the time I saw the snake (in the last group), he was over by the fairway bunker on the left side, so I got a look at him walking by.  Big guy!

B&B was terrific, more variety than any other mostly links course I've played.  Great set of Colt par 3s, if those are indeed Colt.  I also like Fowler holes a lot and think he worked there extensively pre-Colt.

The marsh side holes were a bit out of place but added greatly to the variety of the course.  Thanks to James for making the arrangements, a very good day!

Garland Bayley

Now we know where D. Kidd got his "eyebrows" and "mohawks" idea.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Whitaker

Again, great stuff, John!!!

I love the photo from inside the pillbox... who else would have thought to go in there!!!!

Your picture of the "Squirrel Crossing" sign made me think of this:

Keep up the good work!

Mike

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

John Mayhugh

Jason & Garland,
I failed to mention the flowers in the grassy area.  Partly because I didn't actually see any.  This seems to be one of those things that the course just has to deal with.

James & Mark,
We did not see the snake, but my three ball did at least visit that fairway. 

Scott,
I longed for a better camera.  The course looked amazing late in the round.

Michael,
If I had known about the snake, I wouldn't have gone in the pillbox!! 
Funny squirrel pic there.

Eric Smith

I saw similar hazards at Tenby as well.

Sean_A

I saw similar hazards at Tenby as well.

I hate those rough patches - they look silly and I have never noticed any sort of special flower growing in that soup.  Perhaps they only flower once a lifetime!  At the very least they could alter the shape of the patches so they aren't so round.  Or better yet, widen the fairway out to the water right, but leave these "flower" areas connected to the rough which cuts in from the water.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kevin Pallier

John,

More excellent pictures! I'm guessing it wasn't your group that spotted the snake on the 12th fairway then otherwise we would have been seeing him as well?  ;)

They have snakes in England ?  ;D

John

Am glad you enjoyed B&B - it's a fun and enjoyable layout. BTW - have you been to Rye to see it's concrete bunker ?

John Mayhugh

Am glad you enjoyed B&B - it's a fun and enjoyable layout. BTW - have you been to Rye to see it's concrete bunker ?

Yep, but I didn't go inside.

Pete Lavallee

Jihn,

Thanks again for the unique perspective on B&B. My wife and I stopped there to arrange a game early the next mormning on our last trip to England. Is there a course that reveals less than B&B from the clubhouse; one green and one tee is all you can see! We did stop for a pint and there were some fine golf books see within the friendly confines of the cozy clubhouse. Sadly we didn't have the opportunity to play early so had to be on our way; looks like we missed a fine links experience.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

John Mayhugh

After Burnham & Berrow, we headed up to Royal Porthcawl.  After visiting the P&K parking lot, we finally managed to find the Porthcawl clubhouse and dormie house in the dark.  The bar staff was kind enough to stay open for a while to accommodate us.  The bar was about as comfortable as one could ask for.

The sommelier going describing a wine.  Oh, never mind - that's Ward.  Seated from left are Hiseman, Arble, Gawith, & Topp.  The photos are of past club captains.

A small starter hut (I think) near the back tee on the first.  From that tee, you play directly over the 18th green.

The course is bordered by the sea on one side and farmland on the other. 

OB left on the short par 5 8th is right beside the greensite.

The bunker that effectively ended my match against Tony Muldoon.  I forget how many it took me to get out.

The red flags are striking.

A path to one of the back tees.

And a fairway.

Heather on steroids.  This stuff looked brutal, but fortunately it was pretty much out of play (not for me).

The 18th greensite.

In the dining room, there is this sculpture to commemorate those Porthcawl members that died in The Great War.  A plate was subsequently added with the names of those that died in WWII.

Porthcawl was lacking in quirk, but plenty strong in quality.

Jason Topp

I was hoping you would get back to this.  Too bad you did not have the camera at that pub in Painswick with the giant dog the guys headed to candlepin bowling, the Australian couple and the bartender wise to the ways of the world who informed us that we had toured all of the pubs in Painswick (one).

It was good to warm up with that crown before meeting Ward and Lorne.

John Mayhugh

Re: A memorable, quirky week in England & Wales - now featuring Clyne
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2010, 12:28:49 PM »
Hard to believe it’s been so long since I posted photos from Porthcawl.  The next course on my trip was Clyne, another pasture-type course located on a hill overlooking Swansea and the Gower Peninsula.  Unfortunately, my photos don’t do a very good job showing the great views available.

Clyne was designed by Colt, but it’s not easily identifiable as such.  The course uses the land effectively, but not much in the way of fairway bunkering.  It’s probably worth a complete profile if I can make time to do so, but for now just a few images that give a feel for the course.

No shortage of first tee information.

Pretty good viewing from up there.

The ground offers plenty of variety.

A collection of onlookers.  Note the one scratching his back on the bench.

Sheep weren’t the only residents.

This hole cleverly employed an “aiming sheep” to help one select the right line from the tee.  It’s necessary to play across a not-very-busy road on either the tee shot or approach.

Apparently the fences don’t keep the ponies off the greens.

Plenty of room off most of the tees, with enough gorse & bracken to keep things interesting.

A nice use of the slightly built up green with short grass to help misplayed shots run off.  So simple, yet effectively used here & at Kington.

One place you really don’t want to have your tee shot end up.

Fortunately, local rule 4a helped me out.  

« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 01:09:46 PM by John Mayhugh »

Sean_A

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2010, 04:53:02 AM »
Tucky

Nice pix.  I still haven't played Clyne due to its proximity to Pennard, but it looks to be Kington light.  Same general sort of land (looks a bit less interesting), but a lot less daring with the green sites.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

John Mayhugh

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2010, 08:01:36 AM »
Sean,
Clyne did remind me of Kington somewhat, with less interesting land. You're right about the green sites.

It's a good course, but played in the same day as Pennard it's hard to compete.

James Boon

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2010, 08:48:21 AM »
John,

Thanks for continuing the tour! The funny thing about Clyne is the main thing that I remember is Wardo's trousers!

I thought it was a very enjoyable course, with some great views, but as you say, playing Pennard the same day probably doesn't help us remember it well! I didn't think it felt very much like a lot of other Colt courses I've played though, perhaps a little rough around the edges. Not in terms of condition of the course as with the grazing animals that would be a touch unfair, but more in it not seeming as polished as some of his other designs?

Cheers,

James

John Mayhugh

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2010, 01:06:10 PM »
While the views at Clyne were wonderful, they did little to prepare me for Pennard.  Located about 200 feet above the sea, views are spectacular & the course is one of the wildest I’ve seen.  For those that haven’t seen the course, Sean Arble’s IMO article is well worth reviewing.
http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/pennard-golf-club

The description of “links in the sky” is a good one.

Not sure how much usage this guy gets nowadays.  Pennard seems like the kind of place where it would work just fine.

One thing to note about Pennard – golfers share the property with……

Cows

A team of runners (in the red shirts)

Dog walkers & hikers

And even horseback riders.

Somehow everyone seems to coexist just fine, though there was a group of hugely inconsiderate walkers out there during one of our rounds.  What made things worst about them was they spent time dining in the clubhouse, so they should have known better.

We were blessed with plenty of wind to keep things interesting.  The mesh flags are a great idea.

I’m just not sure how a flagstick like this one survives.

Joe’s hat didn’t fare so well.

Fortunately we never had to use one of these.

The views were stunning.

The ruined castle by the 7th fairway occupied an incredible piece of land.

Part of a church wall on the left side of the 7th.

This looked like a perfect spot to add a par 3 course.

One of my favorite spots was standing on the 16th tee.

Though the view from the far back tee on 17 looking out at the sea was even better.

One thing I didn’t expect to see in Wales – a palm tree!

As great as the views were, I’ll remember Pennard just as much for the rumpled fairways and bold greens.

And of course the cows.  Here these members of the grounds crew were working on a new bunker.

While this one just had a grouchy look.  How come?

Oh.  That explains it.

The soul of golf lives at Pennard. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back