News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Dawson

Golf at The Villages
« on: August 20, 2010, 03:25:03 PM »
A friend of mine is taking a group to his home at THE VILLAGES to play golf next month. Can you recommend which courses to play.
Thanks,
JD

PCCraig

Re: Golf at The Villages
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 03:38:35 PM »
A friend of mine is taking a group to his home at THE VILLAGES to play golf next month. Can you recommend which courses to play.
Thanks,
JD

Queue the jingle.... :D
H.P.S.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 03:53:16 PM »
World Woods, Black Diamond Ranch, etc....  I haven't heard that the golf courses at The Villages are architecturally much to speak of...

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 04:10:15 PM »
Thanks,
JD

This probably says all that needs to be said about the golf culture at The Villages...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG5CaYSnRBM
 ;D

Mr. Dawson--

Out of curiosity, has your friend read the book Leisureville, by Andrew Blechman?  I didn't read it but my parents did and they related some quite interesting anecdotal findings by the author about The Villages.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jim Dawson

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 04:50:28 PM »
I was afraid that the replies would not be flattering. He just bought a house there, so that is where we play.
Thanks,
JD

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 07:45:42 PM »
The thing I love about The Villages is that they invented a fake history that dates back decades.  Reminds me of Logan's Run or something.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 08:07:41 PM »
There are 9 "Championship" courses at The Villages. I haven't played any of them but from my perusal of them, I think Havana looks like a winner:

http://golfthevillages.com/championship-golf/

Also, I would give the Nancy Lopez and Palmer Legend courses a try.

Please post your reviews.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 08:10:41 PM »
Steve clearly doesn't think much of the LPGA, which thought enough of Tierra Del Sol to play its Samsung championship on it.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 08:18:53 PM »
Ron

It was a one and done event there in 1998 and an obvious homage to Nancy Lopez. It may be worth a play too.

I think we  should have a winter GCA event at The Villages and play all the courses and rank them.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 10:32:13 PM »
Thanks,
JD

This probably says all that needs to be said about the golf culture at The Villages...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG5CaYSnRBM
 ;D

that video is the week's sign that the apocalypse is soon upon us! ::) :P
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 10:34:40 PM »
I was afraid that the replies would not be flattering. He just bought a house there, so that is where we play.
Thanks,
JD

Jim,

Just dont post pics, you'll really get flamed! ;D
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Sev K-H Keil

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 10:41:04 PM »
I usually spend Thanksgiving in the area, visiting family --- Black Diamond and World Woods are the obvious must-plays; if you fly into Tampa, OM is an option. However, Sugarloaf Mountain is just over 30 minutes from the Villages. We played there last year and it's an interesting, fun Coore/Crenshaw layout, unfortunately, course conditions were terrible --- the surrounding community never really took off (or might have gone bankrupt)... if it's still open, I'd would definitely play it again --- also, you'll enjoy phenomenal views (in Florida!) as the course is at the highest elevation in the area. Some website say green fees are sub $50 now...

Trey Stiles

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 11:26:35 PM »
Thanks,
JD

;D

I just told the wife that if I ever decide the precision golf cart drill team is for me , please shoot me.

John Moore II

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 11:42:23 PM »
Thanks,
JD

;D

I just told the wife that if I ever decide the precision golf cart drill team is for me , please shoot me.

As someone who has been on a real drill team, thats just terrible. (no it doesn't offend me) Just turrible. Who thinks of stuff like that?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 12:55:59 AM »
We have a load of local retired foggies I play regularly with here on the frozen tundra buying up condos down there and spending half a year there now.  I don't think I"m quite ready for that sort of atmosphere yet.   ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

John_Conley

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 09:58:30 AM »
If you are looking to play at pretty good golf courses there are several in the immediate area.  Harbor Hills is enjoyable.  If you draw a 45 minute ring there are truly an almost unlimited number of choices.

If you are playing strictly on site at the Villages, tell me about it.  I really don't know anyone that's ever played any of their courses, and I've lived here 18 years.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back