News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

Copake CC (Devereux Emmet, 1921)--Copake Lake, NY
« on: August 16, 2010, 11:43:45 PM »
I had the great pleasure of playing one of the truest "hidden gem" golf courses I have ever seen--Copake Country Club in Copake Lake, New York (about 90 minutes WNW of my hometown of Avon, CT).  The golf course dates to 1921, originally designed by Devereux Emmet.  According to the gentleman in the pro shop, the golf course was "going to seed" as recently as 15 years ago, but a new owner took it over and has put a good deal of money into the place.  From the looks of it the bunkers have all been renovated pretty recently, and the greens have been expanded/restored back towards their original shapes.

The golf course is about 6,200 yards from the tips, par 72.  Three of the four par 5s are a bit under 500 yards--I reached one of them with a 5-wood and a PW--you'll see why below.  These are the holes to make hay on, in addition to three par 4s of 281-288 yards, all of which are reachable and excellent.

The opening hole at Copake is a wonderful introduction.  Holes 1-3 and 10-13 parallel each other, but only 1 and 10 are similar.  And that's okay, because they are both delightful holes.  #1 is about 360 yards from the back tee, straightaway.  It's that charming type of hole where you can see far more from the tee than from the landing area.  It is one of only two holes on the course with bona fide fairway bunkers (the other being the 10th), which is just fine, due to the great terrain the course occupies.  That angled fairway bunker is perfectly placed--a big hitter can consider driving over it, or lay up short with an iron or fairway wood.  You will notice that the fairway runs straight into the sand--perfect.  The little eyebrow ridge-type structure that juts out into the fairway can be found in a couple other places on the golf course.  It seems like a throwback feature; I like it.  The green is open in front, allowing a run-up shot (conditions at Copake were about as ideal, firmness-wise, as on any course I have played in the US), as are many at CCC.

#2 is the only par 4 on the course longer than 400 yards.  It's 435 from the long tees, but plays downhill.  The approach is basically blind.  There are two spectacle bunkers about 20 yards short of the green.  The ground beyond them slopes away hard, meaning that a shot that just carries them will tumble down onto the green, which is one of many that slopes from front to back.  I can't recall another golf course I've played where more greens slope front-to-back.

#3 is about 390 yards but plays a lot shorter, since the tee shot is way downhill.  The green is possibly the most treacherous on the course: not very big, but a lot of left-to-right pitch.  Nasty greenside bunker to the right.  There's also a Lester Georgian "dragon's tooth" hat could ensnare an overly caution approach to the left.

#4 is a C-shaped par 5 of only about 470 yards.  But you can cut off a bunch of yardage by challenging the trees down the right.  I hit 5-wood, PW.  The green is steeply pitched from back to front and left to right, and it's elevated above the fairway such that it is possible to leave a ball short and have it roll back by 40 yards or more.  They're building a new back tee, but the hole will forever be extremely reachable by the longer hitter.  And that's okay.

Even though there is only one par 4 over 400 yards, Copake is as close to a complete examination of one's golf game as a 6,200 yard golf course can be.  Holes like the 228 yard 5th are part of the reason why that is the case.  It is probably the toughest par on the course with an undulating, rather domed green.  Great, tough hole on the heels of a rather easy one.

The 6th is the first of three very drivable par 4s at CCC.  It's 281 yards, with two greenside bunkers that could not be placed any better.  Like many holes at Copake, this one requires a game plan--you can't just wail away as I did, or you'll make a stupid bogey, as I did.

Number 7 is the third of four consecutive holes under 300 yards, a bunkerless 288 yard par 4.  The tee shot is blind, and should be played just left of that wee gnarled tree in the foreground (my best friend and high school golf teammate Adam is running up to get a better look, as is his father in the cart).  The green is built up a bit in typical Golden Age fashion, and s sufficiently undulating to cause headaches.  I was pin-high with a 3-wood, but I walked away with a par.  Awesome, maddening.  It's one of the best viewpoints on the course, looking out over Copake Lake as you wonder how you threw away a birdie on such an innocuous-looking hole...

The 8th is a 151 yard par three where you can only see the top of the flagstick from the tee.  Like the 5th, the green is gently domed.  To boot, it runs gently from front to back.  If you like some quirk with your golf course, you should love Copake.

The longest hole on the course follows the shortest.  The 9th is 524 yards and wanders off gently left and downhill.  With a helping wind, I hit driver-7 iron.  The green is sufficiently lumpy, though, and defends itself nicely.

After a longish walk that allows you to mentally beat yourself up for all the missed opportunities on the front nine, the 348 yard 10th is a welcome bit of familiarity.  Playing dead parallel and to the right of #1, it's just different enough so that it seems like a variation on a theme, rather than a close copy.  Again, high-low-high with two fairway bunkers left and a great greensite.  

The 11th is a bunkerless, 347 yard par four that curls lazily left to right.  The green is open in front and slightly elevated (complete with false-front), making the approach (a wedge or short-iron, in all likelihood) tricky.  Few courses offer more wedge approaches and fewer resultant short birdie putts than Copake.  This is a testament to Emmet's excellent greensites.  Many golf courses relent once you are near the putting surface; that's where the real fun begins at Copake.

Number 12 is a drop-shot par 3 of about 160 yards.  Anther pair of spectacles greets the player and once again, a shot that lands up to 20 yards short can find the putting surface comfortably.  In fact, this is perhaps the preferred shot type, as any ball that lands right and/or long will likely careen over hard, broken ground into the woods.  My friend's father putted from about 25 yards short of the green.  Did I mention the tough greens at Copake?

The 13th might be my favorite hole, mostly because it is the most unassuming hole (ground features-wise) on the course and comes at the perfect time in the round for a palate-cleansing.  It is bunkerless, 285 yards, and dramatically downhill.  The green and greensite are really quite flat, which only adds to the temptation to challenge the green off the tee.  But of course, the closer you get to the green, the more those woods and a stream at woods' edge creeps to the promised land.  Brilliant hole, IMO.

The first picture of the 14th hole (365 yard par 4) does very little to help the uninitiated understand how uphill the hole is.  It somehow reminds me of a few holes I've seen on Sean Arble's photo tours of interior Britain's courses.  The green is pitched A TON from back to front, so much so that the grass on it was a little longer than on the others.  Only one bunker guards the hole.

The 15th is a downhill, 472 yard par 5.  Again, it was driver-short iron for me, but the green is small and runs away, requiring a near-perfect shot to hold it in two.  If you are familiar with the pitched 7th fairway at the Cascades, this one is similar, but in the opposite direction.  Lovely hole, and a birdie chance.  I wish I had gotten pictures of the wonderful greensite, but the mystery should incentivize your own visits to the course!  ;D

16 is an uphill par 4 of 383 yards.  Even though the fairway is oriented similarly to that of number 14, the holes are different, I assure you.  There is a false right edge to this green that will shed a wedge shot hit with too much spin.

The penultimate hole is a 188 yard par 3 whose green is slightly hidden from view from the tee.  There are bunkers left and right, and the green is open in front.  The green is banked a good bit from left to right, such that a ball that traverses the high left side of the green can and should curl down to a right-middle or right-rear pin.

The closing hole is a 485 yard par 4.5 (5 on the card), playing downhill and concluding with another steeply pitched green.  That green is kind of far from the clubhouse, but the walk back affords some opportunities for last admirations of the scenery of the area.  Many players are surely tempted to clamber up the first tee box and start the journey again.

If you can't already tell, I have a huge crush on Copake CC.  It's short by modern standards, but I think I could play it every day and not get tired of it.  Since it resides in a town where people spend their summers, it has to be intriguing to repeat-customers.  To boot, it has to be one of the very best public courses in the country, value-wise.  See here: http://www.copakecountryclub.com/rates.html

If at all possible, play this golf course.  You'd be nuts to miss out and you'd be even more nuts not to thoroughly enjoy it after playing it.  That's my opinion anyway.  :)

Cheers.

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Peter Galea

Re: Copake CC (Devereux Emmet, 1921)--Copake Lake, NY
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 11:59:30 PM »
I've been touting this course for years. Excellent, challenging, fun and scenic.
Always in great shape.
Check this search.
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?action=search2
"chief sherpa"

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 12:02:07 AM »
I believe that Mark Fine and Scott Witter from this forum were doing some restorative work at Copake.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tom Dunne

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 12:21:27 AM »
Well done, Tim. I spend a weekend or two every summer in Lakeville, CT and have always been curious if there was much interesting golf in the vicinity. (Other than the Hotchkiss nine, of course.) Thanks for putting this one on my radar.

Is the course relatively walkable? I see one person in your photos with the bag on his back...

Ben Voelker

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 12:55:29 AM »
Tim,

Interesting photos, thanks so much for posting them.

What is the carry over the little patch of rough jutting into the fairway on 1?  It's an interesting feature, certainly one that I have not seen used in photos of other courses, especially when it looks to be only a few yards wide and does not extend the entire width of the fairway.  I like that it provides a reward for both the longer hitter and the more accurate shorter hitter, who could punch it through the gap on the left.

Ben

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 08:10:14 AM »
Tom--

Yes, I would say that the course is eminently walkable.  There are some decent ups and downs and a couple lengthy green-to tee walks, but these didn't really take away from the experience.  My friend and I walked while his father took a cart.

Ben--

That little eyebrow ridge thing isn't more than 125 yards off the first tee, so I would say it functions more as a visual obstacle than a physical one.  For me, it breaks up the view of the fairway and makes it more interesting.  Without it, that part of the fairway might look a little monolithic.  I could be way off though; I hope Mr. Witter and/or Mr. Fine will be able to chime in if they are still posting on GCA.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Billsteele

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 11:23:22 AM »
Tim-Thanks for a great look at this relatively unknown course. I believe that Scott Wood has played this course a number of times. Maybe he can chime in with some thoughts about it. My question involved the greens. You mentioned some of the greens' characteristics in your post. Is there much internal movement? It also appears that some of the greens have slight run-offs and/or false fronts. Am I seeing that accurately or not?

Cristian

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 05:09:31 PM »
Great Pictorial of a course that looks very enjoyable to play, I especially like the really assymmetric bunkering around most of the greens.
3 questions however:

1. What's that in the tenth and first FW? Looks like a narrow band of perpendicular rough. Doesn't look natural to me.

2. Is that ball in the middle of the picture of hole 15 your drive? Wow. Popeye arms or really F&F fairway?  ;)

3. Where exactly is the course located relative to metropolitan areas? (ie hours driving)

Thanks again for posting these pics!

Edit: Although carts are visible in the pictures I do not see (tarmac) cart paths, correct?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 05:14:33 PM by Cristian Willaert »

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 11:34:52 PM »
Bill Steele--

There is good internal movement in the greens, which are on the smaller side, size-wise.  And you are seeing the false edges correctly.  As I said, Copake has a fantastic set of greensites, putting surfaces included especially.

Cristian Willaert--

1. Have a look at the second picture in the tour, a close up of that little eyebrow ridge.  As far as I can tell, it's a visual bit of intrigue and perhaps troublesome for the shorter hitters, but not really in play for most.  Perhaps Mr. Witter and Mr. Fine will chime in about it.

2. It indeed was my ball on 15.  The hole was playing downwind, as well as downhill, such that I was able to hit a 8 iron into a 472 yard hole.  That is not normally the case for me, as I am not the longest hitter.  I'll occasionally get the belly into a tee ball, though.

3. It was about 90 minutes from Avon, CT, where I live.  That puts it about 1 3/4 hrs from Hartford, I suppose.  A little under 3 hours from NYC.  A little over 3 hours from Boston.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Phil McDade

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 11:18:04 AM »
Tim:

Great photo tour; really nice-looking course.

One question, if you know -- is this a relatively untouched (un-restored ;)) Emmet? I've always had the impression that untouched Emmet courses are hard to find, although I admit my knowledge if that is not deep. His work seems to be quite subtle, which sometimes leads later owners/designers to want to tinker with it and make some features bolder. This one seems to have maintained that subtle feel to it. Esp. like all those front-to-back greens.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 02:22:22 PM »
Tim,
Great photo tour!  Scott Witter and I did a Master Plan for Copake CC several years ago and have been working away at implementing it with Mark Anderson (the Super) and the owners ever since.  I am obviously bias but it is a very cool "throw-back" kind of golf course that is fun to play and well worth the visit.  There is much work to be done (I'll be back up there again in a few weeks) but MUCH progress has been made from where it was a few years ago.   

There is an article in either the current issue of The Met Golfer or the issue after that on Copake CC and Emmet.  I think you will enjoy it.
Mark

Andy Hughes

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 04:56:39 PM »
Thanks Tim. Looks quite fun.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Mike Cirba

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 10:06:40 PM »
Mark,

The course looks terrific and a good deal of fun.

I recall some years back you were looking for any architectural attribution information on the course but suspected Emmett.

Can you share what has been found in that regard?

Thanks!

Mark_Fine

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 07:37:18 PM »
Mike,
Scott and I did a lot of research and much of it is included in our Master Plan including old photos, new paper clippings, etc.  Some great information came from one gentleman's collection of postcards from the 1920's and 30's.  It is really cool and many of the photos helped us with restoration of the golf course.  We even tracked down a caddie who must be 90 years old and caddied there in the 30's.  What a great memory (hope mine is that good when I'm that old).  He caddied for the original owners and gave us some great info.  We should get together one day (come back up to Lehigh) and I will show you a copy of the Master Plan.

By the way, if anyone has an interest in Emmet, the article in the current issue of The Met Golfer is a good one.  They sent me a early copy and I would be happy to email it you those interested.  Just send me a message with your email address.
Mark

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 10:13:28 AM »
Tim
Thank you for sharing all the pictures.
Cool site.

Mark,
What work have you done there?
And what are you recommending?

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 10:52:57 AM »
Mike,
Scott and I (and Mark Anderson the super) have been doing a lot of improvements including restoration/rebuilding of bunkers, green expansion, rebuilding/adding new tees, tree work, changing mowing and grassing lines, modifying green surrounds, restoring native areas, cartpaths (move, rebuild, and/or eliminate), and so on.  We did a true "long range plan" and Mark and the owners are chipping away at it every year depending on financial circumstances.  I am going up there again soon and one of the things we are working on is a new shared bunker complex between #6 and #18.  it will dramaticaly improve both holes and elimate a grove of trees that surround an old abandoned tee.  Most work is restoration but not all. 
Mark

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 11:45:14 AM »
Thanks Mark
Could you share some examples?

Mark_Fine

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 01:03:32 PM »
Mike,
If you look through some of Tim's photos you can see some of the work.  A lot of the bunkers were just pits with no shape or edging.  The greens were mostly circles and now many of them are much more square as we brought them out to their original edges.  The bunkers (e.g. the photo in the Met Golfer article) we did two years ago, the ones on #1 and #10 we did around the same time.  On #10 there were dozens of christmas trees that have been removed and native grasses and fairway expansion have replaced them.  Many trees have come out across the golf course.  If Scott chimes in, he might post some before and after shots as he is the better photographer.

It's been fun and Mark and the owners are great to work with.
Mark

Mark_Fine

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 01:16:41 PM »
By the way, the pond is new between #1 and #10.  That was NOT part of our plan.  Great example of how at the end of the day, he who pays the bills/owns the course often has final say  ;)

Mike Tanner

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 01:47:43 PM »
Thanks for posting so many pix and the commentary. I love the look of that course and wish it wasn't so far from home. How did you find out about this little beauty?
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 04:34:07 PM »
Mark
There are a lot of pictures above - how can I tell what was done?
Is this your teams grassing line suggestion?

Cheers
Mike

Mark_Fine

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 05:23:56 PM »
Mike,
Of all the photos, I think you picked the worst one.  Maybe that was your intent.  What we proposed and did on many of the holes was trying to eliminate all the contour mowing - I hate it.  It looks contrived and clearly (at least in my opinion) all those swiggles and curves do not belong on an old 1920's golf course.  If you look at some of the photos again, you will notice most of the fairways don't look goofy like that one.  Some are mowed right up to if not into the bunkers (I believe fairway bunkers should be in the fairway, not in the rough).  I also don't like rough in front of most bunkers as it keeps balls from running into the hazard which is the hazards intent.  Many of the fairways used to narrow up dramatically as they approached the greens.  We widened many of them as this course was designed as bump and run.  If there is anyone here who played the course three years or so ago and played it now, the differences are very obvious.  Mark must have added an acre of green surface and five or so acres of fairway (hard to show without before and after photos).  There is still much work to be done but given almost all the work is being handled in-house, they have done a great job.  This is not a high end private with a million dollar maintenance budget.  Once again, if Scott has the time maybe he will chime in and post some before and after photos of work that was completed. 
Mark

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 07:16:01 PM »
Mark
I was sure the picture I posted wasn't one that was modified.
Which is why I picked it.

Your statements read vague to me and I wanted to know what you did.

Who said this was a million dollar budget course?

Cheers

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 11:20:58 PM »
Mike Nuzzo beat me to my one main question about the course.  That amoeba-type 14th fairway did strike me as being a little odd-looking.  I hope to see it evolve to look more like the 1st and 10th fairways.

Mike Tanner--

If you were addressing me, I found out about it while playing at Hotchkiss a couple weeks ago.  A gentleman who works as an arborist in that area joined up with me a couple holes into the round and raved about the views and the greens in particular.  Jim Kennedy echoed the recommendation and I made it up there last Saturday on a gorgeous, sunny day (to which the pictures can attest).
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 08:54:49 PM »
I'm planning to play this course on Saturday, July 2nd and welcome anyone who might be available to join me. The super/pro have indicated that the course is available whenever we want to get there (I am flying solo, so the "we" is unestablished). Also, any updates from Mark Fine or Scott Witter on Copake?  I'll do my best to get a shot of that par five green that Tim missed a few years back. I'm hoping to play Mohawk, too, so that I can add two Emmet courses to my photobucket account.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back