News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

photos of a sleeper: Palouse Ridge in WA
« on: August 01, 2010, 08:36:22 PM »
played this very fine John Harbottle course last week, its the Washington State U course...if you are near it go play it, it is really quite good...5 sets of tees ranging from 7308 - 5106

approach to number 2 after a blind tee shot

2 green

uphill par 3 4th

par 3 6th...slope on the right to feed the ball in if you like

and I have to add:  in the yardage book it states that behind the 8th tee is the univsersity's Grizzly Bear Research Facility, which i had to go and try to find, which i did...they have 10 bears there ..the one pictured is John, a 550 lb. male who is the slowest of the bunch...here he is getting some apple after correctly putting his paw up after identifying the correct color on a piece of paper

then the uphill approach to the par 4 8th

downhill par 5 9th ...green tilts back to front

back nine in a bit.....
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 08:40:02 PM by Paul Thomas »
198 played, only 2 to go!!

Garland Bayley

Re: photos of a sleeper: Palouse Ridge in WA
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 08:39:26 PM »
Did you enjoy your cart ride around the course?

Have you tried the even better Wine Valley course in Walla Walla?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 11:51:11 PM »
I hope Sean Arble sees the pics of this course. The slopes and elevation changes of this course remind me of some of the English courses of which he has given us photo tours.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 10:28:06 AM »

I admit I participate here little now, but this must be some inside joke, I assume?  You knew he rode and felt a reason to point it out?

If you're going to poke fun at someone, do it to The Walking Golfer thinking that Tetherow is a 'tough' walk.   ;D

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 10:47:15 AM »
Scott,
Check the 'archives' you'll find a few older threads that will make it all clear.

Paul,
The photo of the second green seems to show a nice brown tinge. Was it and the course playing firm?
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 11:34:06 AM »

I admit I participate here little now, but this must be some inside joke, I assume?  You knew he rode and felt a reason to point it out?

If you're going to poke fun at someone, do it to The Walking Golfer thinking that Tetherow is a 'tough' walk.   ;D

Scott,

Why didn't you look up Palouse Ridge on The Walking Golfer?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 11:37:12 AM »
Paul,

I you are looking for sleepers from Harbottle, check this out.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42383.0/

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 01:07:56 PM »
Jim, the course was playing pretty firm, yes

Garland, I'm not sure what you are driving at...all I know is that the course exceeded my expectations and is WELL worth a visit

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 01:56:09 PM »
Jim, the course was playing pretty firm, yes

Garland, I'm not sure what you are driving at...all I know is that the course exceeded my expectations and is WELL worth a visit

I'm driving at it seems most here think Wine Valley is all around a superior golf course when compared to Palouse Ridge, so if you think Palouse Ridge is WELL worth a visit, then Wine Valley is a MUST visit.

Also, if you don't talk about the walkability of Palouse Ridge, you will disappoint many that take your advice on it being WELL worth a visit.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 01:59:35 PM »
Well, with Jim's reply, I figured it was an inside joke between Paul and Garland.....then Paul replied and I'm lost again.

Garland,

I know about Rob's opinion on the walkability of Tetherow from an exchange I had with him on GCA.com, not from his web site, which I had visited once prior to today.  I went to the site a 2nd time today after your mentioning it and I figured the Palouse write-up would be Rob's again.  Now I've seen your opinion on walking a certain type of course as one who uses a pushcart.  I've played Palouse as well, but I walked-and-carried, and it was the 2nd round of the day (walked and carried the earlier round as well on a moderately hilly course).  I've used a pushcart on a few occasions and have found (IMO) that somewhat-steep-to-steep uphill treks, even on asphalt/cement, are easier carrying (hence the uphill treks on Palouse or any other course I find easier carrying).  Certainly carrying can also mean fewer restrictions in where you can go vs. pushing.

At any rate, I long ago avoided (or mostly so) any type of walkability argument on this site or off, because my threshold is higher than most.  Is Palouse a tough walk?  Sure, but I've walked worse and these days (as to your cart-is-same-price-as-walking argument) I'm just glad I'm allowed to walk.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 02:29:55 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

PThomas

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 02:06:47 PM »
Scott iis correct:  one could walk Palouse..not an easy walk but it could be done

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 02:23:06 PM »
par 3 6th...slope on the right to feed the ball in if you like

I suggested to Jordan Wall that this would be a better hole if you did not take the long cart ride up to the elevated tee, but instead played from a tee next to the 5th green, which could have been used to make it into a world class Redan. Jordan, argued that the view from the 6th tee is spectacular and the hole is bests as is. Thoughts?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 02:25:39 PM »

Either that's a typo, or riding a cart disoriented you. 9 is most definitely uphill.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 02:28:28 PM »
Scott iis correct:  one could walk Palouse..not an easy walk but it could be done

Since you seem to have gotten defensive about riding a cart, it would seem in fact you did.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I would also suggest that commenting on walkability after riding is Flemma Wardian.

PThomas

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 02:31:53 PM »

Either that's a typo, or riding a cart disoriented you. 9 is most definitely uphill.

I meant to say the green tilts from front to back

and so what if i rode a cart Garland? 

Andy Troeger

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 02:38:27 PM »
Garland,
Could we stop (or at least slow down) with the walking bit as it relates to Palouse Ridge? You've made your point in a rather Wardian fashion. I'd be interested in learning more about other aspects of the course at this point, but it becomes difficult when you have to try to control any discussion to steer it back in that direction.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 03:49:10 PM »
I think Garland is taking to vigilante justice, fellas.

The lemmings keep running off the cliff if you don't stop them....or in this case running off the Palouse Ridge.

He is directly challenging your belief that the course is a "sleeper" and "really quite good."

I guess the basic premise is if a course isn't walkable than it isn't "really quite good."

I'm not so sure I entirely agree with said premise, but I will confess to finding the bears a tad bit more interesting than the golf holes depicted here...

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 04:13:10 PM »
I think Garland is taking to vigilante justice, fellas.

The lemmings keep running off the cliff if you don't stop them....or in this case running off the Palouse Ridge.

He is directly challenging your belief that the course is a "sleeper" and "really quite good."

I guess the basic premise is if a course isn't walkable than it isn't "really quite good."

I'm not so sure I entirely agree with said premise, but I will confess to finding the bears a tad bit more interesting than the golf holes depicted here...

???  ???  ???

Don't know how or why you possibly draw any of your conclusions.

I wrote Wine Valley is better. I also indicate that IMO Harbottle has done better. However, when comparing the golf holes as I did in the thread I linked, there are some clear winners at Palouse Ridge (e.g. #2 as Paul highlighted). I also suggested that Paul might find Wine Valley a more compelling recommendation to make if he were to play it.

Don't know why Paul was so hesitant to say he rode a cart. Essentially that is what made the thread more about walking vs. carts than anything. Next week I will be playing Sagebrush, and I will be riding. No problem with that. They say there are difficult green to tee walks there, which is what modern designers take advantage of the cart for. Plus, it will probably be 90+ degrees.

PThomas

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 04:22:57 PM »
i wasnt hesitant to say i rode, you are saying that

i was trying to focus on the quality of the golf holes

PCCraig

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 04:46:44 PM »
i wasnt hesitant to say i rode, you are saying that

i was trying to focus on the quality of the golf holes

Garland:

You're taking a generous course photo spread by Paul, done for no other reason than for the enjoyment of the board, and turning it into a walking/riding BS arguement. Who gives a shit if Paul rode? Who CARES what you think the "walkability" rating of any course is, esp. considering you demoted the same course because you had to push you pull cart around a rope to get to your ball.

Better question: Is taking a pull cart really "walking" the course? Shouldn't you be carrying the bag yoruself? How can you study the GCA when you're worried about ropes that keep you on a cartpath?

Garland: Give it a rest and get over yourself.
H.P.S.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 05:49:38 PM »
I gotta agree with the fellas here, Garland. :-\

You instantly took this thread into the cart vs walking realm.

Take it from someone who regularly practices subversive argumentation and "pop-shotting."

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

PThomas

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 09:55:26 PM »
anyway...for those of you who might be interested in seeing a few more of the holes...

downhill par 5 10th

uphill tee shot on 12..best to be on the left side of the fairway

nice view of 12 green and beyond

short/driveable!!? par 4 15th

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 10:19:54 PM by Paul Thomas »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 10:11:24 PM »
Paul,

The downhill par-5 is the 10th.

It's a great hole, though.  Even though it's long, it can be reached and the green looks like it falls off the earth.  It's a really good hole.

PThomas

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 10:20:17 PM »
Paul,

The downhill par-5 is the 10th.

It's a great hole, though.  Even though it's long, it can be reached and the green looks like it falls off the earth.  It's a really good hole.

thanks Jordan, i made the correction

David_Tepper

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 12:03:04 AM »
Paul -

Thanks for the pics. They remind me a bit of Poppy Ridge in Livermore, CA.

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back