News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Central Ohio--give me your best public venues
« on: July 11, 2010, 10:46:02 PM »
I'll be in central Ohio for four days in August (Pickerington, to be precise) and plan to play three or four times.  My short list includes East (formerly Tartan East), Longaberger and Golf Club of Dublin.  I've already been around Phoenix and Cooks Creek.  Columbians, give me your opinions on how well I've selected or how far off the mark I am.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 08:09:51 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

JLahrman

Re: Central Ohio--give me your best public venues
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 11:51:48 PM »
You could do a lot worse than Champions.

Darby Creek is also good, although it's on the other side of Columbus from Pickerington, would be a bit of a hike.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 11:55:01 PM »
I really enjoy Foxfire. I was not that fond of Tartan East. Have not played Champions, must get there. If you count it, Black Diamond [about 70 miles NE, is well worth the trip. Unique layout.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 11:58:50 PM »
I'll be in central Ohio for four days in August (Pickering, to be precise) and plan to play three or four times.  My short list includes East (formerly Tartan East), Longaberger and Golf Club of Dublin.  I've already been around Phoenix and Cooks Creek.  Columbians, give me your opinions on how well I've selected or how far off the mark I am.

If you like houses and LOTS of them the play the Golf Club of Dublin.

How about Granville GC - D. Ross course or Split Rock GC   Hurdzan course south of Columbus?

Chris

Jason McNamara

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 12:44:30 AM »
See also recent discussion on this thread.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,44933.0/

David Royer

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 08:08:08 AM »
Champions, Foxfire Players, and Granville would all be great choices.  If schedules allow I would be glad to host a fellow GCAer at Brookside G&CC.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 09:55:51 AM »
I think Champions would be an excellent choice for a round. I would skip Tartan East, I thought it was rather mundane. Granville would be a good choice, just ignore the terrible 3 hole stretch where they ruined the golf course.
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Billsteele

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 12:41:14 PM »
Ronald-I will give you my thoughts on some Central Ohio courses but, if at all possible, take David Royer up on his kind offer to play Brookside. It is a terrific golf course with a great routing, interesting greens and a good test. It fits in comfortably just below the more well known private clubs in the Columbus area (The Golf Club, Muirfield Village, Scioto and Double Eagle).

Using Pickerington as a base:

Within 10 miles: The only course in Pickerington itself is TURNBERRY, an Arthur Hills design owned by the City of Columbus. Not that good and a bit overpriced. I have played it many times and nothing stands out here. Much better and right next door in Reynoldsburg is BLACKLICK WOODS, a good public course refined by Jody Kinney a few years ago. Easy to walk and a fun track. In Canal Winchester, there is WESTCHESTER, a Hurdzan/Fry design. The front nine is lined with houses. The more interesting back nine is secluded and sits across the road. The final three holes are very strong. In Etna, there is CUMBERLAND TRAILS, another Hurdzan/Fry course. Very similar to Westchester (front nine with housing, back nine more isolated). The routing is a bit awkward (especially where the property butts up against an elementary school and there is a huge net to prevent wayward drives from bonking the kids on the playground). It may have (condition wise) the best greens among Central Ohio publics. They are fast and true.

Within 15 miles: EAST (formerly Tartan East, formerly Winding Hollow II), an Art Hills design. I give it more love than the posts I have seen here. It is challenging, has good shot values and the conditioning has improved over the past two years (it lay dormant for a while after the private Winding Hollow closed).

Within 20 miles: CHAMPIONS (formerly Winding Hollow I), owned by the City of Columbus. It is a very good Herbert Strong/Robert Trent Jones hybrid. Great routing, very challenging and terrific greensites. Never that crowded during the week. In a less desirable part of Columbus inside the 270 outerbelt...even though it is only a few minutes from the Mecca of Columbus shopping: Easton Town Center.

Within 25 miles: GRANVILLE, originally designed by Donald Ross. My #1 recommenation for public golf in Central Ohio. Four holes have been sacrificed for housing and are out of character with the originals but the Ross that remains is very good. Great terrain, interesting small greens and fairly easy to walk. RAYMOND MEMORIAL is a Robert Trent Jones design on the West side of Columbus. Not as compelling or interesting as Champions but not bad either. It is a Columbus muni so it can be very busy.

Within 30 miles: FOXFIRE PLAYERS CLUB in Lockbourne has been mentioned by others.  I am not as enamored of it as the previous posts. To me, it is a very demanding golf course that is utterly charmless. It is a hybrid of newer holes combined with existing holes from the original Foxfire course. There are a lot of target aspects to the new holes. Most people remember the stretch from 14-16 (pre-existing holes) but to me they are claustrophobically tight and in need of some serious tree removal. The last two holes are utterly forgettable You may want to play it and decide for yourself.

Within 35 miles: SPLIT ROCK in Orient is a Hurdzan/Fry design. Pleasant golf course, a nice laid back atmosphere but nothing too memorable.

Within 40 miles: LONGABERGER is in Nashport. This Art Hills design tends to polarize opinion on GCA. A decent golf course on terrific terrain. It is pretty reasonable to play it now (I have seen for as low as $50 on the last minute tee time sites like Golfnow.com). This may be the best time to try it and see what you think.

Within 50 miles: EAGLESTICKS is in Zanesville. Hurdzan/Fry did a nice job shoe horning a good golf course into a small site. Some very good holes here.  

If you want some company, IM me. If my schedule works out, I would love to talk Buffalo golf with you.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 12:54:54 PM by Billsteele »

Zack Molnar

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 07:59:31 PM »
The Phoenix, no doubt in my mind, just south of the city by 71. you can see it from the highway.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 08:45:22 PM »
I played the Phoenix this Spring...liked it a lot but don't want to go back for another round, when there are more to be had.

Ron M.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

JLahrman

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 09:06:55 PM »
The Phoenix is certainly not bad considering it is on the site of a former landfill, and for the immediate Columbus area it's a decent course.  The only courses on Bill Steele's list that I've played are Champions and Foxfire, I would recommend both ahead of Phoenix.

I agree with Bill, Brookside is a very nice course if you have an invite.  I will admit that I've played most of that course after sneaking on with my brother many years ago.  A member of the grounds crew caught us and politely asked us to leave...we politely took his suggestion.  And I'm not getting, the guy was seriously polite, he apologized to us for having to ask us to leave!  Ah, the Midwest.  Accepting David's offer would not only be the legal way to do it, but you'd also see all 18 holes...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:09:06 PM by JLahrman »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 10:52:37 PM »
I really like Champions (Winding Hollow), and a couple of newer courses I'd recommend are North Star and Rattlesnake Ridge north of the city. Rattlesnake maybe private or semi-private now, but I think a game could be arranged. RR was designed by Jodie Kinney and she is very talented.

Brian Laurent

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 07:47:14 AM »
All good choices and if you have an opportunity to play Brookside, take advantage...in my opinion, it's much better than all of the public courses.

Another course that we don't really talk much about is Cumberland Trail.  Hurdzan/Fry on the east side.  Well known for their outstanding greens (conditioning).  The course itself is about what you would expect for a modern mid-high end public.

Let me know if you need a fourth!
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back