News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

Recent Ohio Golf Trip...oops I mean family visit
« on: July 03, 2010, 08:49:22 PM »
I've just returned from a golf trip to Ohio visit to see family in Ohio.  While on this wonderful family trip, I had the opportunity to stop in and see a few great golf courses.

The first was The Golf Club.  I won't go on and on about it as I am sure we all know how great it is.  But I will say this, it was as good as it gets.  500 acres, 18 holes, only golf.  WOW!!!  Here is a shot from behind the 553 yard par 5 17th.  A cape hole I suppose you'd call it.

But the real eye opener for me was playing Canterbury.  I knew it was going to be good, but after playing it I think it just might be the most under appreciated golf course I have ever seen.  It is ranked only by Golfweek and even then only 79th on the classic list.  The course is Herbert Strong's with work recently being done by Renaissiance Design/Bruce Hepner (I believe).  The course is on a 146 acre piece of property but yet it has plenty of room as the routing is brilliant.  People talk about 16, 17, and 18...and those are mind-bottling holes.  But it seems like every single hole was excellent.  Here are pictures of 2, 11, and 16.  And frankly, the 585 yard par 5 16th is one of the best holes I've ever seen.

Also, the turf at Canterbury is the best turf I've ever played off of.  It reminded me a bit of NGLA's turf, but seemed just a bit more crisp to strike the ball off of.  I wish I had more knowledge on turf types and could compare and contrast with an educated background...but all I know is that it is a bent/poa mix...as the greens are.  But I do know this, it is a pure joy to play golf on that turf.

I have some questions. 

Are all Strong courses this good?  If so, what are some other must plays of his?

What is he known for?  Routing?  Subtle undulations on greens?  Brutual stretches of holes (like 16-18) and the occasional breather stretches?

I guess what I am looking for in more scoop on Strong.  I was unbelievably impressed with Canterbury and I am seeking to learn more about it and Strong.

PS...does anyone know where my mind-bottling line comes from or do I just look like an idiot?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ronald Montesano

Re: Recent Ohio Golf Trip...oops I mean family visit
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 08:56:06 PM »
1.  Welcome to the northeast (almost...)

2.  Do you mean mind-boggling?  We can put your mind in a bottle after you pass.

3.  Ohio is an amazing state for golf, both public and private.

4.  Congrats on those two plays.  Columbus to Cleveland, huh?  Great part of the state.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 09:11:39 PM »
Ron...

Ohio seems amazing for golf.  Maybe I need to move back.

Mind-bottling, you know when things are so crazy (great), you get your thoughts trapped, like in a bottle.

Anyway, it is from Blades of Glory...a stupid movie that I think is funny. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 09:19:23 PM »
Ahh, now I understand...Well, then, capture the dream!  How's the underground golf scene these days?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 11:03:08 PM »
Mac,

I am jealous, and sorry that I was in Michigan while you were here. I even drove by your old stomping grounds just a few short hours ago: Bowling Green!

Lets coordinate soon!

Rich
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 11:06:56 PM »
Richard...

we've been trying to hook up for payment on that Tiger/Augusta bet for awhile.  As we discussed prior, this would have been perfect...but the timing keeps getting messed up.

I owe you some good golf...I'll pay up when we can get our schedules sync'd.

I look forward to it!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 08:14:42 AM »

Great title.

Anthony

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 08:42:53 AM »
Mac,

Mind boggling it is but mind bottling conveys even more of the same excitement and as the English language is continually evolving you can consider yourself as having added to the lexicon.

Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Mac Plumart

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 09:25:34 AM »

jonathan_becker

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 10:41:25 AM »
Hey Mac,

I haven't been on here for a few days and I missed this thread.

Canterbury is tons of fun to play.  There isn't a ton of land for the course, but the routing is pretty good all things considered.  #12 is probably the worst hole out there.  It looks like they just needed a hole to fill. 

#4 is my favorite hole.  The dogleg left where the ground slopes to the right from the approach shot in.  At least missing it right leaves a reasonable chance for recovery.  Lots of options involved on that hole.

#17 is an awesome par 3 to along with #16 and #18.  Any photos?  It's very old school championship looking.

And yes, if someone can find me better turf than Canterbury, I'd like to see it.  The fringes are better than most places greens.

Any more photos of The Golf Club?  I would love to see more as there aren't many around.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 10:48:03 AM »
Jonathan...

I'll post some more Golf Club pics later tonight.

I put up all the Canterbury ones I took.  2, 11, and 16.  16 was one of the best holes I've ever played.

Fred Yanni

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 04:17:57 PM »
Mac

I just played in the MG at The Golf Club last month - it is quite the total golf experience.  Glad you were able to experience it.  I love the 5-9 stretch on that course.  I also love how the course "feel" changes from more open hole stretches from 2-4 and 13-14 & 17 to more woodland holes stretches.   

Ohio and columbus is particular is loaded with great golf courses. 

Andy Troeger

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 05:02:40 PM »
Mac,
When I played The Golf Club a few years ago they allowed me to take photos on the condition that I not post them online. I would guess that's still their preference. I don't think posting one is a big deal, but I think I'd ask before posting more.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 06:35:07 PM »
Andy...Ok.  No one told me that, but I'll hold off on posting those photos here.

Fred...it was indeed an experience.  My favorite golfing experience.  And I agree the change in "feel" is dramatic and special.  13 was my favorite hole.  Very cool risk/reward.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 09:14:13 PM »
Mac,
They may have changed their minds on that. I had a similar request this year at Peachtree which I think came from someone posting a photo thread which I think was later removed. I did notice that there's an old photo thread in the archives on TGC and also some photos on Ran's profile...so who knows.

Edit:

Ok so I feel hypocritical for saying they don't want photos of the course shown and then linking to the thread of pictures. Its in the archives if anyone really wants to see them...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:30:44 PM by Andy Troeger »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 09:18:59 PM »
Andy...I'll hold off.  The Golf Club and the people I encountered there were first class in every way, shape, and form and I don't want to do anything to disrespect them.  And you are right, Ran has photos up on this site if people want to check it out...and now you've posted that link.  No worries.

EDIT...Andy, your edit is just plain funny!! 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:40:28 PM by Mac Plumart »

Fred Yanni

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 11:46:26 AM »
Mac -

The 13th is a great hole.  I am sure you noticed, but I am always facinated that the pond to the left of the 13th green actually sits above the green.   I am no geologist but apparently the entire course sits on a clay base and the water doesn't seep out of the ponds which allowed Dye to have the pond there.  I love that feature on that hole.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 07:43:33 PM »
Fred...I did notice...kind of weird looking UP at the water. 

Kenny Baer

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 10:50:52 PM »
Mac,
When I played The Golf Club a few years ago they allowed me to take photos on the condition that I not post them online. I would guess that's still their preference. I don't think posting one is a big deal, but I think I'd ask before posting more.

Dork

Doug Ralston

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 02:59:57 PM »
Ohio does indeed have great private courses, but it's over all public venue is pretty slim. Every contiguous state has far better publics, except possibly West Virginia. Indiana exceeds it muchly, and of course Michigan is in a class of it's own. I live in Ohio, but try to golf elsewhere. If you have access, which I think many of you do, Ohio is good. If not it is mediocre.

Sad.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 10:30:22 PM »
Ohio does indeed have great private courses, but it's over all public venue is pretty slim. Every contiguous state has far better publics, except possibly West Virginia. Indiana exceeds it muchly, and of course Michigan is in a class of it's own. I live in Ohio, but try to golf elsewhere. If you have access, which I think many of you do, Ohio is good. If not it is mediocre.

Sad.

Doug

Doug,

Surely, you jest with saying West Virginia has better public golf than Ohio - come on??? ::) ???  The problem with your view of Ohio is you must be using golfweek's best public course list!!! ;D

Chris

Tom MacWood

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 10:47:07 PM »

Sad.

Doug

Which state next door has better public courses?

Doug Ralston

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 11:55:16 PM »
Chris;

I said every state EXCEPT possibly WV.

Tom;

Try Michigan, which has better publics overall than perhaps ANY state in the nation, at least I doubt any other has the depth.  Indiana has far more quality publics than Ohio. I assert that Kentucky is better at the top.

Ohio is very weak on public courses, for a state of it's population. I wish it were otherwise. OTOH, they are overstuffed with great private courses, as has been pointed out on many threads here.

I play public courses, and have played most of the top in OH, IN, KY and many great ones in MI. I try to play out of Ohio. With the cost of driving making a serious dent in my sad budget, I would obviously stay near if I could.

Of course, all this is my own opinion. Take it for what that is worth.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

TEPaul

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 01:42:05 AM »
Mac:

When you were in the state of Ohio, did you perchance get a glimpse of Tom MacWood or his Ivory Tower?

I ask because he is such a regular presence on this website but so few seem to have actually ever seen him. I am beginning to wonder if perhaps he is actually Pat Mucci who uses the name as a ploy or prank simply because Patrick likes to argue----actually belay that---Patrick loves to argue but to know him is to love him.

I know of what I speak, because when I was a little boy I had two personalities. One was called "Good Tom" and the other was called "Bad Tom" and frankly I never took full responsibility for either of them.  ;)

Jason McNamara

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 05:19:11 PM »
Tom Paul, does Tom MacWood asking "Which state next door has better public courses?" truly merit your standard passive-aggressive response?  Is there any chance you could confine your baiting to Mid-Atlantic threads?

Doug, how have you found the PA publics compare with Ohio?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back