News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kirk

Eagle Springs GC, Wolcott, Colorado
« on: July 07, 2010, 06:01:33 PM »
Last month I had the pleasure of playing Eagle Springs Golf Club in Edwards, Colorado, located in the western Vail Valley of the Rocky Mountains.  The course opened in 1995, the final collaboration of course architects Tom Weiskopf and Jay Morrish.  The course inhabits a couple hundred acres of the valley floor, bounded by a hillside on the north and the Eagle River, which was rushing at near flood stage on that day, to the south.  A handsome covered bridge ushers the players into the exclusive club.

The land possesses a few limitations.  The valley floor (elevation about 7100 feet) is quite flat, and the hillside is somewhat abrupt by golf standards.  The architects used the slopes to route a few holes up, down and along the hillside.  Hole #4 moves up the slope, hole #5 is benched into the hillside, and hole #6 drops precipitously back to the valley floor.  On the back nine, the par-4 11th hole creeps up the slope, while both par-4 holes #13 and #15 dogleg right up the slope.  Hole #12 is a long par-3 a few feet above the floor.  Hole #14 is a short par 3 back to the valley, and hole #16 is a very long, slightly uphill par-3, before the course returns to the valley for the two finishing holes along the Eagle River.

A well-maintained, rusty set of railroad tracks traverse the property; they probably belong to the Denver, Rio Grande and Western railroad.  Walking golfers cross the tracks a couple of times.  The course is a reasonable walk; I would have no problem walking and carrying my clubs, while playing the course in 4 or less hours with a cooperative, energetic foursome.  There are a couple of awkward transitions between holes, where the next tee is not clear to the visiting golfer.  This is not a major issue for an exclusive club.  On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is the easiest and 10 is the hardest full-size walking course (but still walkable…think Pumpkin Ridge (Witch Hollow) as a 1 or 2, and Stone Eagle as a 9 or 10) Eagle Springs is about a 5 or 6.

The course is immaculately maintained, firm with hearty thick-bladed grasses used for fairways and rough, and pure stands of bentgrass on the greens and tees (correct me if I’m wrong about the fairways, please).  15 years into its life, the maintenance crew removes Poa annua from the greens by hand each year.  On the day I played, the greens were very smooth and medium fast.  As a set, the greens are very gentle, yielding many medium to long putts where the break is measured in inches versus feet.  Chipping and putting was easy at Eagle Springs, as long as I managed to avoid one of the numerous ridges or “noses” sectioning a number of greens.  I confidently thought I could make short and medium length putts as long as I hit the ball on the chosen line.

In general, the course is predictable, easily decipherable from the tee, and can be played well the first time around.  My best buddy Kelly, typically a zero to plus-2 handicapper, played great and shot 69 on the par-71, 7058 yard layout.  I am in a slump this year (4 handicap), but grumpily willed myself to a 77.

Hole 2, 547 yards:

Hole 2 played into the prevailing westerly wind.  After a generous driving area, the player must decide whether to play left or right of the bisecting creek.  Here is the green, which features one of the noses, a primary defense against routine two putts. 

Hole 3, 483 yards:

A pair of fairway bunkers (not pictured) serves as aiming points for this long, difficult par-4.  The green slopes away to the right from the player, encouraging a bounding long iron approach.

Hole 4, 495 yards:

The fourth hole heads up the hillside, the second par-5 with options for directional strategy.  A small alternate fairway shortens the hole by 30-40 yards; otherwise, the player can play around the crescent-shaped (R-L) fairway.  Here’s the 4th green looking down the primary fairway from the 5th tee.

Hole 5, 369 yards:

The little tree on the left edge of the 5th hole marks the position of a small swale, perhaps 245 yards out, mowed at rough length.  Power players can play over the swale with a driver, but will leave an awkward distance for approach. The flattish green requires a crisp approach to hold the green.

Hole 6, 450 yards:

Rather than the typical practice of using a drop shot par-3 for severe elevation change, this par-4 requires both an accurate drive and accurate approach.  The large right fairway bunker narrows the fairway for long drivers.  The green slopes significantly towards the water; missing right of the green is a tough up and down.  Hard golf hole.

Note the tilted layers of sediment that dominate the western views on the course.  Beautiful geology is abundant here. 

Hole 7, 175 yards:

The first of two consecutive par 3s, together with the par-4 9th hole, they form a fine trio of holes to finish out the front nine.  #7 is a short iron play (medium 8-iron, about 145-150 yard shot for me) to a small green that slopes towards the back left.  This picturesque hole finishes in the easternmost edge of the property

Hole 8, 221 yards:

The player crosses Eagle River and turns back west.  Once again, the green slopes gently left, enabling the player to play a low shot short and right of the green.  The green is very wide, and will yield many long first putts.

Hole 9, 420 yards:

Not pictured, hole 9 requires a rather precise drive, leaving an iron shot to the most severely sloped green on the course, with a fall of perhaps 3-4 feet.  Hitting the proper side of the green is a must here.

Hole 13, 430 yards:

Taken from left of the 13th fairway, the side perspective shows the centered carry bunker dictating an accurate and long drive, followed by a steep approach that plays as much as two clubs uphill.  Note the well-maintained, defunct rail line.

Hole 14, 165 yards:

This photo shows the large and rather undulating green, requiring an accurate short iron.  The snazzy covered bridge adorns the view.

Hole 15, 463 yards:

The gentle course turns tough for a demanding four hole finishing stretch.  Like #13, a level tee shot followed by a steeply uphill approach.  This time, a tree rejects low approaches.  The hillside slope can be used to bounce balls into the gently bowl-shaped green from the right side.

Hole 16, 270 yards:

Hole 16 plays slightly uphill.  The left side is frought with trouble, bunkers and steep slopes.  The green is large and very tricky, with significant internal contouring.  Very tough par 3, and a rare chance to lay back your ears and bust a driver on a par 3.

Once again, note the delightful natural landforms in the background.

Hole 17, 447 yards:

The seventeenth typifies the Weiskopf/Moorish design.  Nothing fancy or deceptive; two good shots required to reach the smooth, flattish putting surface.  The fairway slopes just a hair towards Eagle Creek.  Lovely golf hole.

Hole 18, 635 yards:

The 18th hole is wide and gentle, but requires power.  Two good shots past the barn and along the river, leave a short to mid-iron shot to this narrow target. 

After the round, we were treated to a delicious lunch in a first-class men’s grill.  All of the amenities, from the understated, right-sized clubhouse, to the practice facility and caddie corps, are first rate.  There are no houses on the course.  The long-range views across the valley are spectacular and varied. Eagle Springs is a gentle pleasure, offering ample challenge without excessively punishing the player.

Derek Dirksen

Re: Eagle Springs GC, Wolcott, Colorado
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 06:22:30 PM »
Thanks for the great photos.  Is that a bunker up in the shadows way out of play on #7.  I like the look of hole 6 as well.

jkinney

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 06:23:49 PM »
John - Excellent review with photos that really capture the essence of Eagle Springs. Thanks.

John Kirk

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 07:03:15 PM »
Thanks for the great photos.  Is that a bunker up in the shadows way out of play on #7.  I like the look of hole 6 as well.

Hi Derek,

I don't think so.  I'm not sure what that is.

I'll post a few additional thoughts as we go along.  I'd like to point out that my comments are almost completely by memory of a round played weeks ago, therefore Eagle Springs qualifies as memorable.

Sean Leary

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 07:08:59 PM »
I don't love all those bunkers on 15, but it looks like a REALLY nice place to play golf.

Must have been quite interesting playing that on the same trip to Holyoke, John.

Doug Wright

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 07:25:50 PM »
Thanks for the report on Eagle Springs, John. Great photos too.  I've driven past Eagle Springs 100 times but never had the opportunity to play it. Eagle Springs seems to be quite private and doesn't get the ink that nearby Red Sky gets. Sounds like a lot of Weiskopf/Morrish efforts--very solid/well done/not spectacular--like a contemporary course in La Veta, Colorado that is a hidden gem of mine, Grandote Peaks.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 07:35:47 PM »
John:

I liked Eagle Springs when I played it several years ago but the nature of golf in the greater Wolcott area has considerably improved since it opened. Just down the street is the Norman Course at Red Sky Ranch and just a little ride to the west you have Lakota Canyon Ranch. ES is quite straightforward -- nothing out of the ordinary just a good test from Weiskopf / Moorish.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 09:54:56 PM »
John:

That photo of the 15th hole is one of the most bizarre looking holes I've seen in a while.  And I thought that even before I looked back and noted that it's a 460-yard par-4.

John Kirk

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 07:31:45 AM »
Tom,

Yes, the nest of bunkers left of the green is strange.  If the course were built today, the choice might be a single, large amorphous bunker next to the green.

I had about 190 yards to the hole and had to hit 4-iron into the green.  I hit it solidly, cleared the tree and bounced to just beyond the green.  Made bogey.   

jkinney

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 10:36:45 AM »

Derek - That is a bunker. It's not as far out of play as it seems in the photo, as it's better to be long than short on the tee shot (short being the Eagle River). The green falls away diagonally to the left from the tee, and the landing area is only about 10 yds. wide. The bunker on the hill becomes a good aiming point when the hole is cut back left. The 165 yd. tee shot needs to be hit precisely, for sure.

I'm not  much of a fan of severely downhill holes, but #6 (named "Geronimo") is an exceptionally good hole, IMO. Both the right fairway bunker complex and the left greenside pond attract lots of balls. The view from the tee is marvelous.

jkinney

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 10:45:41 AM »
John:

That photo of the 15th hole is one of the most bizarre looking holes I've seen in a while.  And I thought that even before I looked back and noted that it's a 460-yard par-4.

Tom - The 15th ("Juniper") has the stairstep bunker complex due to the slope of the hill, I suspect. The same type of bunker complex is in place below and to the left of the par five 4th hole. The Juniper tree in the middle of the fairway will only collect thinly hit, low trajectory approach shots. It's a very good golf hole, IMO.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 10:48:17 AM by jkinney »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 06:05:46 PM »
Be curious to know the yardage from the tips to carry the right bunker on #7. I'm guessing it's in the 290 yard- range -- and when you have long hitters with a downhill shot and with thin air it's not that daunting for their ability level. Laying up to the left of the bunker is also a good option.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 06:28:36 PM »
Matt:
Do you mean #6?  It looks like flying that bunker would put you in a little stream or something -- the fairway seems to end.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 08:08:14 PM »
John:

That photo of the 15th hole is one of the most bizarre looking holes I've seen in a while.  And I thought that even before I looked back and noted that it's a 460-yard par-4.

Tom - The 15th ("Juniper") has the stairstep bunker complex due to the slope of the hill, I suspect. The same type of bunker complex is in place below and to the left of the par five 4th hole. The Juniper tree in the middle of the fairway will only collect thinly hit, low trajectory approach shots. It's a very good golf hole, IMO.

I just can't imagine building a hole like that.  You and John and I may be able to carry the tree easily, but there are a lot of golfers who can't, and where do they go?  Into the third bunker wide of the green?  On top of which, mowing fairway all around the tree is almost guaranteed to kill it in the next few years. 

Matt_Ward

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 10:27:37 AM »
Carl:

Yes, thanks for the correction. Downhill tee shots -- can be effective but they should encourage the risky play not force one's hands to take the other available options.

jkinney

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 05:13:23 PM »
Matt - On #6, there is an drainage ditch crossing the fairway past the right fairway bunker that can be carried by long hitters, but the risk & reward don't really match up. The ditch is filled with high grass, and the fairway narrows approaching it. If carried, it takes you from an 8 iron to a wedge. Most long hitters go with 3 wood off the tee. It's amazing how long the tee shot stays in the air - a thing of beauty assuming one has hit it straight; otherwise no fun to watch. Incidentally the only out of bounds at Eagle Springs is the RR right of way. The line has been temporarily abandoned (probably to return someday as a commuter line of sorts). In the first 5 years of the club's existence the freight trains would come rumbling through several times a day - a lot like Carnoustie.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back