News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Goerges

Old article on Yale golf course
« on: June 25, 2010, 09:54:14 AM »
I don't know if this has been posted before, but I thought I would put it up.

Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Dan_Callahan

Re: Old article on Yale golf course
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 04:29:02 PM »
Somewhat relatedly, here's a recent video interview with Scott Ramsey as he prepared the course for the NCAAs:

http://www.nhregister.com/video/media-12796517/yale-golf-course-superintendent-scott-ramsay/

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 01:23:16 AM »
This is a picture that I just saw for the first time this week. I don't think I ever saw the squareness of the back green like this before.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 02:02:46 AM »
The article says #9's green does not include the swale.  Also that it is patterned after the original at the Biarritz Course in France.  (Not N. Berwick.)  

What they say about the greens space confuses me: not a single green under 100 sqare feet, and their total area (sounds like they mean all of them) is 10,000 square feet.  Dropped a zero?  
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 09:40:29 AM by Jim Nugent »

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 08:28:38 AM »
Judging by the stage of the bunker construction, that image of nine must be one of the very first rounds on the course, perhaps even the very first. Possibly the members of the committee playing the course shortly after they began cutting the greens.

George_Bahto

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 10:18:33 AM »
I think this is pre-opening - no bunkering as Colin states

the course was not finished until 1926

Great picture

The verbal description of the 9th hole certainly verifies the "green" was the back portion (at least to me it does)

gb

If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Ian Andrew

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 11:59:03 AM »
So knowing this information - how do you handle Yale if your working with the club?

Ian

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 12:04:42 PM »
Thanks for posting this Charlie.  I have really enjoyed reading it, especially the hole descriptions.  I would love to have seen the original third hole.

Awesome photo of the 9th green.

George_Bahto

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 01:14:01 PM »
So knowing this information - how do you handle Yale if your working with the club?

in what respect Ian?

George
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Donnie Beck

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »

Great picture

The verbal description of the 9th hole certainly verifies the "green" was the back portion (at least to me it does)

gb

I noticed that as well

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 08:29:24 AM »
A comparison of opening days!

Noel Freeman

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 10:57:27 AM »

Great picture

gb

Colin-- Any thoughts on where the hole should be pinned in competitions?? Dr. Childs and I lament everytime we play that it is pinned 90pct of times in the front.  It is a great travesty of this hole that in 100 rounds+ as a member I've played it to the back pin approx. 5 times.. I think the old picture shows the pin should never be in the front, the amount of green space is not enough to hold it unless one hits 6 iron or higher into the wind.. Downwind, it is impossible to hold the green from the back tees..

Scott has done a wonderful job conditioning the course this year but for the life of me, I don't understand why the green is not pinned in the back 80-90pct of the time. Such a great hole wasted.. I was fortunate to play Fishers last week and the Biarritz was pinned back left.. What a joy to experience...

Noel

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 07:57:08 AM »
Noel,
I know what you mean. It seems like it's always on the front half. I'm sure Scott and Peter would love to use the back half of the green more often, but it's probably a pace-of-play issue. I'm just guessing, but it could add five minutes to that hole on what is already a tee where groups back-up.

We definitely use the back half for Sunday's third round of the Macdonald Cup. It's amazing how many of the college players flail it right into the hillside. When that was thicker and covered with moss, balls could bury and get lost. I know Scott is very eager to expand that surface in the back. It's certainly on his punchlist and I do look forward to the day when we make that less "special occasion" and more regular occasion. The beauty is for most people, it will still be a wood and they can hit low, drawing shots that run through the swale.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back