News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

The PGA Tour is rolling through my home state this weekend, which excites me considerably.  My father and I, being semi-journalists, were both able to secure press credentials for the tournament and will probably be there Friday through Sunday (possibly part of tomorrow).  I was just wondering if anyone else from GCA might be in attendance.  If you are considering it, I would definitely recommend you go because TPC at River Highlands is a very, very good golf course and the tournament itself is fantastically run, I find.

For those who have played TPC, what say you on the golf course?  It is my second favorite course in the state--behind Yale and ahead of CC of Waterbury, CC of Farmington, and Hartford GC.  The 15th hole is my favorite drivable par 4 anywhere and I also am a big fan of holes 2, 6, 10, 11, 13, and 16-18.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Bill Brightly

Re: TPC at River Highlands/Travelers Championship--anybody going?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 02:34:21 PM »
I'll be there early on Friday, following a young kid from the Nationwide tour, Luke List.  I'll wear my Pacific Dunes visor. Then I'll be insise the Travelers 360 VIP tent sipping beers watching 15-16-17.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 02:44:34 PM »
Agreed it is a very fun course, although it has some weak spots. I think the back 9 is much better than the front, where 1 and 2 aren't great, 3 is kind of boring, and then the stretch that runs right up to the par 3 over water (8?) is a nondescript blend of flatness.

On the back, 10 is a beast, 11 is a cool and very short par 3, 12 isn't bad, 13 has lots of risk up at the green that makes it a challenging par 5, 14 is a difficult par 4, 15 is great, 16 is incredibly hard, 17 is one of the most ridiculously impossible tee shots I've ever hit and is followed by a tough approach to an insanely tiered green, and 18 is just an ok finishing hole.

I would agree that it's right there near the top of best courses in Connecticut, but that's only because the other stuff sucks it hard. Yale is bar far the best. I initially liked Wintonbury Hills, but got bored with the repetition in the layout. I'm still a fan of Oxford Greens and Shennecossett. Can't stand Fox Hopyard, Gillette Ridge, and Great River.

On the private side, of the courses I've played I would probably put Wampanoag and Hartford above the TPC. I haven't played the Lake of Isles courses yet, and there are some nice ones in the southwest of the state that I haven't seen. All in all, I would take a day off to play at the the TPC ... something I can't say about too many other courses in CT.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 11:27:28 PM »
Bill--

I too will be there early tomorrow; hopefully there won't be too many gents sporting PacDunes visors.  I myself will be wearing a Washington and Lee Golf hat and probably a blue W&L Golf shirt.  I'll also have one of those media lanyards with my ID and name and picture, etc.

Dan--

I would agree that the front nine is inferior to the back at TPC, but I personally quite like the first two holes, especially number two, which I consider a really fine drive-and-pitch short par 4.  Holes 4 and 5 are good half-par-type holes as well, requiring a couple precise long iron shots.  On the back nine, I agree with your points for the most part but would put forth my defense of the tee shot on 17 by saying that from the back tee box, only the lowest-handicap players should be venturing back there and thus, the challenge seems merely very stout, rather than over-the-top.  You're right about 16; it's a doozy.

Cheers.

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »
I have to say, having played the course a number of times, it always blows me away how low the pros are able to go there. I mean, a 62? Really?

Bill Brightly

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 08:37:39 PM »
I walked the course today. It is in absolutely perfect shape, almost TOO good for many purists on the this site:)  This is clearly a course where a good amateur will shoot a high number while a pro hitting it well can really score. The greens have a lot of tiers and the pins were very often cut close to collection areas, so the players had to be really precise with their iron play. The greens run so true. Birdies are to be had. Just an incredible contrast to the conditions we watched at Pebble Beach last weekend!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back