News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

The Dunes Club in Michigan
« on: May 12, 2003, 09:22:11 AM »
The golf hole a day calendar features the 9th from this course, the 9 holer in Michigan.

Anyone know much about the course? Is it really the best 9 holer in the US, as some have maintained? Is it Pine Valley like at all, as the calendar claims?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Joel_Stewart

Re: The Dunes Club in Michigan
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 09:28:50 AM »
It was built by Mike Keiser, years before he did Bandon Dunes.  

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 09:35:14 AM »
I know he owns it, but was he involved in construction. The calendar lists Dick Nugent as the architect.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 09:37:27 AM »
:D

Any pics from the Threetops 9-holer in that bunch?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2003, 09:45:14 AM »
George:

If there is a better 9-hole course in the country, I'd love to see it!! First of all, TDC is a great experience. The entrance is literally an opening in a chain link fence hidden in the trees that is barely big enough to get a vehicle through. You then drive down a dirt path and park in the trees. No driving range, but a net to hit a few balls into next to the first tee. No tee markers anywhere. I think the strength of the course are the par fives and par threes. The par three's have multiple angles that you can play them from. The second par three can probably be played from 110 all the way back to 200 or so, with the angle to approach the green differing by almost 40 degrees in my estimation. The par fives are not heroically long, but one of them may be virtually impossible to hit in two shots. Overall, it does exude a very Pine Valley-like feel due to the sandy scrub nature of the property. And it gets so little play that it makes places like Double Eagle or The Golf Club look like munis!!!!

It is definitely the kind of place I would like to belong to, aside from the fact that it might be tough to get a game. The clubhouse is probably about 1500 square feet, with a kitchen not unlike the one in your house. Just write down what you take.

I have found an aerial on Terraserver in the past. Maybe Scott Burroughs could find it to show everyone. It is defintely a treat to play.

All the best,

Doug Sobieski

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2003, 09:52:08 AM »
Doug,

Funny you should mention it, but I was just in the process of
finding the AOTD thread, as The Dunes Club was AOTD
#288, which was part of 9-Holer Week.

Here's the original thread:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/YaBB.cgi?board=GD1&action=display&num=1043158959

and aerial:

SL_Solow

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2003, 09:59:29 AM »
The descriptions are quite good.  Mike Keiser found the property which sits on true duneland near the Warren Dunes state park.  He enlisted the aid of several people, including our superintendent Paul Voykin, to help in starting the project.  Paul introduced Dick Nugent but it is clear that Mike Keiser had significant influence as per Shivas, the course fits quite well on the property and does not resemble any of the typical Nugent formulas.  Voykin gave further assistance in helping to make sure the plantings were indigenous to the site.  I was fortunate enough to be introduced to the property in a foursome with Mike Keiser and Paul Voykin, hence the local knowledge.  It is a terrific experience.  Along with Lost Dunes and Point O'Woods, there is a lot of golf in a small area of Michigan away from any major population centers and there are interesting contrasts in style among the courses.

Paul Richards

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2003, 05:43:06 PM »
I agree with Shivas above - it's the best 9-hole course in that I have ever seen.  It is wonderful and leaves you wanting more ...

However, that "wanting" is my only criticism of the place.  TDC is so excellent that I want it to be 18 holes!

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

SL_Solow

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2003, 06:01:31 AM »
Paul; there is some very attractive property adjacent to the existing 9 holes.  It is my understanding that the owner has asked a ridiculous price, thus thwarting any effort to expand  to 18 holes.

Paul Richards

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2003, 12:06:17 PM »
Shel:

I have heard that also.  Let's hope someday that Mike Keiser can get ahold of that property and make the Dunes an 18-hole course! ;)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

DF-SDGA

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2003, 12:09:05 PM »
Easily the best 9 holer I have seen, and if it had a comparable back nine it would quickly become a household name.  The merits of the layout are second only to the atmosphere of the place - remote entrance, scarcity of golfers(12-16) on a busy day), lack of tee markers, all walking (not a cart or path in sight), not a home or road to be seen from the course.

I have had the pleasure of playing the course several times and continue to be impressed by the golf course.  When a member brings a group to play, the grounds crew often changes the hole locations between nines to offer a different look at the course the second time around.  As far as finding a game . . . most members live in the Chicago area and bring their own.

Paul Richards

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2003, 04:56:11 PM »
Only negative is the lack of practice facilities, unless they have improved on the net you tee-off into when I visited there a couple of years ago....

ward peyronnin

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2003, 08:10:00 PM »
I played this course for the first time the  week after PV for the first time. Mike Keiser will tell you it is inspiterd by that course and I could see the similarities altho Dunes is a softer look with less elevation change and larger trees framing some of the perspectives. One handsome feature not mentioned are the patches of perrenials such as hosta, coreopsis, lupines, daiseys, and other little small swatches of color that discreetly populate the waste areas on this course( mostly appearing to be  naturalized).

The teeing grounds are mostly all very large and generous which is a good thing on  a nine hole cours. Also the six has a lake on it that , according to my playing companion who builds water features on golf courses, is the most natuaral looking small artificial lake he has seen.

A very memorable experience.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

DF-SDGA

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2003, 06:16:00 AM »
Still no practice facility, and I have to admit that usually detracts from my experience - particularly on a course with a strong par 4 opening hole.  Not in this case however.  I enjoy the course too much.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back