News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Royal Dornoch in mid-May: Words cannot express...
« on: May 28, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
I'm not even going to try to string some meaningful words together about Dornoch. Not when there is this brilliant article already on the site, as well as this.

In short, I've never before visited somewhere - the town as well as the golf club - that hit me so strongly emotionally.

Even now, almost a fortnight since I made that first walk up Golf Rd, I get a strong feeling deep in my chest when I think about that first glimpse of the course, the sight of the beautiful old buildings bathed in golden light each night as the sun slid slowly past the horizon, the views from the 7th tee and 16th green... I could go on. Mercifully, I won't.

I'll let the pictures tell the story.

Dusk on day 1. The light was amazing. Maybe the near-Arctic latitude?

Nice work by GCAer Andrew Biggadike. Three times!

An impressive hunk of silverware.

Approach to the par four 1st.

Par three 2nd.

Par four 3rd, approach.

Par four 4th.

Short par four 5th. My favourite hole on the course.

Legendary par three 6th.

Heaven.

The long par four 7th, didn't grab me as much as the others, but a cool green nontheless.

The split-level par four 8th

Par five 9th. I found this a really tough hole for its length.

I remain convinced there is no way to hit the 10th green.

The 11th is a tough one to reach into the wind, with a msssive green to boot, so two putts are often difficult.

Par five 12th green, which I couldn't get enough of. Mound and bunker work together brilliantly.

The 13th seemed to be the easiest of the one-shotters, with a green that fed to the centre from everywhere.

Foxy... the bastard!

The reachable par four 15th was another favourite. Love the centreline dune and the subtly domed green.

The 16th doesn't get a lot of love, but I really enjoyed it.

The 17th was another hole I could play all day - literally every 15mins from sunrise to sunset - and never get bored.

The 18th - that valley of sadism in front of the green...

« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 01:51:16 PM by Scott Warren »

Phil McDade

Re: Royal Dornoch in mid-May: Words cannot express...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 02:16:09 PM »
Scott:

Great photo thread; showed some details of the course I hadn't seen before, like the area fronting the 18th. Nicely done.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 02:50:10 PM »
A bit of heaven, Dornoch is.  I was hoping no one would post anything about that trip so I wouldn't feel any worse for missing it.

Is that a professional at the bottom of your photo on the 7th?

Matt Bosela

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 02:54:38 PM »
Stunning photos - one day.....

JLahrman

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 03:00:38 PM »
A bit of heaven, Dornoch is.  I was hoping no one would post anything about that trip so I wouldn't feel any worse for missing it.

No joke...these threads tend to make me feel like I'm the only one here who has a job.

Good to see GCA's own Andrew Biggadike on the Carnegie Shield winners' list.

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 03:16:09 PM »
Scott:

Great photo thread; showed some details of the course I hadn't seen before, like the area fronting the 18th. Nicely done.

Thanks mate. I was convinced there was nothing new to show.

No sympathy for a man who'll be eating meatloaf and drinking pints at Bandon within 24 hours! ;D

Stunning photos - one day.....

You won't regret it, worth the time and effort getting there, and the town and the golf are very good value.

No joke...these threads tend to make me feel like I'm the only one here who has a job.

In all seriousness, I work six days a week most weeks, it's just when I am not working I am generally playing golf or travelling somewhere to play golf ;D

Next week I have managed to combine the two: going away to play golf for work!

(I have a very understanding and patient fiancee)

JLahrman

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 03:17:38 PM »
Oh I know people here DO have jobs, just not always apparent given the pictures and talks about trips.

Mike Leveille

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 03:30:13 PM »
Scott:

Enjoyed your photos, and I share the feelings you expressed in the lead-in to your photos.

I had visited Dornoch over the years and finally took the plunge (cheap, though it may be) and joined as an overseas member a few years back.  There is just no other place where I feel so at home and content as in Dornoch.  When I am there I feel like I have no other care in the world, and when I'm not there, well, it is somewhat sad how much time I spend daydreaming about the place.

I try to get over every year for a visit, but was unable to do so in 2009.  I'll be making up for lost time come June 12, when I arrive in Dornoch with family in tow for three weeks.  We are renting a place on Church Street, at the bottom of Golf Road, and I am eagerly awaiting many a walk up the hill for a round of golf or a pint in the clubhouse bar.

If any GCAers will be in town between June 12 and July 2, please shoot me an IM, as I would love to get together for a game.

Mike

Michael Taylor

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 05:06:59 PM »
Nice photos Scott.

Do the 13th and 10th play similar? I had to take a second look to see that they were actually different..

Pup

Brent Hutto

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 05:13:29 PM »
The pictures are misleading. The 10th in the hardest one-shotter at RDGC while the 13th is the easiest in my opinion. The fall-offs around the green are very mild at the 13th while the 10th green is a small, flat-topped plateau whose left and right sides are almost vertical and covered in rough-length grass. But most importantly the 13th green, as Scott mentioned, is very slightly cupped to hold the ball while the 10th is not. Even a bunker shot on the 10th is in danger of running off the left or right.

One day I will make par on #10...or at least bogey! I think I parred #13 on the second try and didn't make worse than bogey all week.

Scott Warren

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 05:36:03 PM »
Michael,

Brent sums it up pretty well.

Have a read of Rich Goodale's articles I linked to in the OP, they will give you an infinitely better answer than I could.

I also think that after a number of massive greens in a row, #10 is comparitively tiny, which gives you a shock standing on the tee.

cheers,
Scott

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 08:29:12 PM »
Yes, congratulations to Andrew. I was fortunate to squeeze in my one victory.  ;D ;D ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 09:39:20 PM »

Good to see GCA's own Andrew Biggadike on the Carnegie Shield winners' list.

I'm taking full credit, having taught him when he was a 13, 14 year old ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 11:50:43 PM »
Everybody who birdied Foxy raise your hand!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Stan Dodd

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 04:18:04 AM »
We have been here 8 weeks now with 4 months to go and I am like a pig in slop.  The town, the golf it is  a slice of heaven. Had best round yet yesterday 76 with a double at the last.  Links golf Rule # 1 don't drive in fairway bunkers.  Mike that was a great birdie!! Kick in on Foxy

Alister Matheson

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 04:42:17 AM »
I  made it up to play two weeks ago and loved every minute of it the whole course was in superb early season condition after a savage winter and very very cold spring !

Having worked on the links for five years and golfing there regularly  growing up i am never too unhappy missing greens there as the recovery shots from around the greens are so varied and interesting it seems to bring out that primitive urge in all off us to use the bump and run !
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 04:43:55 AM by Ally Matheson »
Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

Robin Doodson

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 05:02:51 AM »
I  made it up to play two weeks ago and loved every minute of it the whole course was in superb early season condition after a savage winter and very very cold spring !

Having worked on the links for five years and golfing there regularly  growing up i am never too unhappy missing greens there as the recovery shots from around the greens are so varied and interesting it seems to bring out that primitive urge in all off us to use the bump and run !
what's the chances of us catching up for a game in july butler? As long as you keep your "primitive urges" under control.

robin

James Boon

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 05:28:34 AM »
Scott,

Great photos, and thanks also for the reminder of Rich Goodale’s pieces. I can’t beat either of those, but here are a few additional pics I took…

A trip to 3 St Gilberts Street, just down from Dornoch Cathedral, to see the birthplace of Donald Ross

Brent, 10th toughest par 3 at Dornoch? Did you not play the second?  ;D Here is the drop off at the back of this tricky green.

I can’t recall at the moment who said it, but the hardest shot at Dornoch may well be the second shot to the second hole?

The 3rd and 4th both play over land sloping left to right as can be seen here from just short of the 4th

Here’s a view taken from the 12th fairway of the 4th green, from the right as you play the hole. I liked how the 4th played across the top of the same undulating ridge of dunes that Foxy plays below, further down the course, and this photo shows the drop off to the right that hides behind a dune.

The 7th may seem like a bit like a flat, long and boring par 4, but this false front shows that there is more to it than there first appears.

Quirky detail of the 8th tee

Looking back from the 11th tee to the 10th green, you can see that as well as all the bunkers short, there is also a nasty drop off to the rear.

I must take Scott up on referring to Foxy as a bastard, I’ve always thought of her as a lady…  ;)
“You know you’re a cute little heartbreaker,
Foxy,
You know you’re a sweet little love maker,
Foxy”
I love the larger pimple, er, I mean mound to the front right.  ::)

The 16th tee is right next to the beach

Humps, hollows and bunkers short of the 18th

It was about 15 years since I’d played Dornoch last and though I’d always loved the place, I think I’d forgotten just how good the course is! I will make sure it wont be another 15 years till I go back!!!

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 08:09:18 AM »
James - I agree with you about #2. There are not many par threes that scare good players into routinely laying up! Hershel's caddy said he would NEVER recommend that his player try to hit that green in a competition... too many things that can go wrong. In three plays on this trip I made two 5's trying to hit the green and one par... by laying up and chipping to gimme range. It has to be the toughest par three without water I have ever played. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 08:20:28 AM »
Michael W. -

The strategy of laying up on#2 works great, unless you flub your chip and watch it roll into one of the two front bunkers. :-[.  Then the hardest shot on #2 become your 3rd shot!

DT

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2010, 08:25:55 AM »
We have been here 8 weeks now with 4 months to go and I am like a pig in slop.  The town, the golf it is  a slice of heaven. Had best round yet yesterday 76 with a double at the last.  Links golf Rule # 1 don't drive in fairway bunkers.  Mike that was a great birdie!! Kick in on Foxy

Great shootin' Stan. Those locals are going to be glad to see you go... it will be like getting a pay raise for them the way you are cleaning their clocks!

As for the three on Foxy... I could not believe it when I walked up on the green and saw my ball next to the hole. It was nearly a two... only three or four inches away! David Tepper was on the high ground right of the fairway when he yelled out, "Someone's CLOSE!" Close indeed! One of my biggest thrills in golf!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2010, 08:31:35 AM »
Ah, thanks much Scott. It really is marvellous. And your great pictures made me think how remarkable that something so rustic and natural-looking (aesthetically) can be so sophisticated (playing wise), i.e. sophisticated in the sense of the ease and grace and, well, style, in which the shot tests and decisions are presented: they are not 'obvious', they are not 'subtle' - they just, seemingly, ARE.
Thanks again
Peter  

Scott Warren

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2010, 08:44:35 AM »
Stan is in some form!

I was browsing in the pro shop one morning and Stan walked in and the pro informed him he'd won some money in the Struie medal again but it wasn't much this time, only Ł10 or so...

James: some great pics there, don't mind if I pinch a few of them...

Peter: I agree, it's amazing where the greens have seemingly had a fair bit of dirt moved to push them up or build up the low side, they still tie in so brilliantly to the natural features and movement of the land.

It is a masterclass in tieing in "built" architecture and nature while maximising both challenge and fun, IMO.

Emil Weber

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2010, 03:29:24 PM »
I remain convinced there is no way to hit the 10th green.

There sure is  ;D

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 05:17:21 AM »
Scott

Thanks for bringing back some great memories from an amazing place Scott. I hope to get back there someday.

Have they spelt "Greig Norman's" name properly yet on the plaque near the course ?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 05:21:24 AM by Kevin Pallier »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back