News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

PGA Senior Championship
« on: May 27, 2010, 09:55:22 PM »
Today was the first day of the 71st Senior PGA Championship at Coore and Crenshaw's Colorado Golf Club.

If you want to see what I think is the absolute Ideal Maintenance Meld just check out that tournament. Tee shots, depending on the topography and such, can bounce and run out over 100 yards and the approaches allow for all kinds of run in shots along the ground. The greens are pretty fast and the surfaces are very firm making sticking approach shots virtually impossible.

Add that to a incredible looking golf course the whole thing seems to totally nail "the ideal" in my mind.

By the way, if you watch the tournament take special note of how hard it is for those players to gauge "the weight" correctly of their approach shots with the F&F conditions "through the green" and on the greens not to mention what the contours on the greens can do with their shot's "filter."

Chip Gaskins

Re: PGA Senior Championship
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 09:59:26 PM »
Tom

Have you played Colorado Golf Club?  It really is a neat place.

Chip

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 10:23:23 PM »
Amen guys.  I'm VERY impressed

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 10:27:02 PM »
Chip:

I've never even laid eyes on it until today. But from what I've heard Colorado has gotten itself a couple of really remarkable new golf courses recently.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 10:36:26 PM »
The stenght of Colorado Golf Club is how well the course is routed from the top of a hill down to a nice meadow type strech which is pretty flat but not many level lies, back up to the clubhouse back down again to some more rolling ground and back up to to the clubhouse.

The water hazards on the end of the back nine are a bit too much.

Good job by the PGA of America to take a risk and lock-up Colorado Golf Club as a PGA venue early in its life.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 11:03:02 PM »
I'm headed over tomorrow, with the family. The course is right next door. If you hear of a young red-headed boy causing a ruckus, it's probably one of mine. I'm really looking forward to seeing the place in play, up close and personal. Haven't ever played it.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Jason McNamara

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 12:26:06 AM »
Golf Channel 6pm EDT Friday evening, NBC 3pm Sat/Sun afternoon for those of us in the states.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 05:22:03 AM »
What I loved about watching it on tv yesterday was the challenge and strategy in the short par 4's.  You had guys hitting 65 yard shots into greens struggling to make par if they didn't execute.  I don't know why more places don't realize that short, almost driveable par 4's can be every bit as challenging, especially with the f & f conditions.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 06:01:46 AM »
Ben Crenshaw seems to think the course is a little too soft and the rough a little too high ... http://www.pga.com/seniorpga/2010/news/crenshaw052710.cfm
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 06:02:53 AM »
TEPaul,

It's unfortunate that many, if not most, clubs over the last 50 years opted for the lush, green look and the conditions they promoted.

Hopefully, the trend is toward what you describe.

Perhaps the cost of water will be the catalyst for F&F.

Unfortunately, Mother Nature can have more to say about F & F than the membership

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back