News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Demetriou

Chicago Highlands - Opens May 15
« on: April 28, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
I recently went to the website for this new facility opening in Chicago in a few weeks, and though it has already been discussed (and derided not just a little here due to the expense) here a bit, the course website now has a bunch of photos on Picasa.

http://picasaweb.google.com/BaxGGHC/ChicagoHighlands02#

I have to say, I'm very impressed with the photos. Maybe it is just a deft hand with Photoshop, but the pictures look really impressive. So I called for more information, and I got a call back right away.  (the photos were taken by an amateur, btw) They're having an open house this weekend for prospective members, which doesn't include me as I live downtown and this is just too far of a drive for me, but the developer invited me out to come walk the course. I've never played Chicago Golf, but the developer has, and said he really took a lot of lessons to heart in his years of playing CGC.

He assured me that the course was quite walkable, and that they focused on using 200 acres for the course itself. No houses, etc. I recognize that many of you will scoff at the facility itself, as it seems a bit over the top, but let's focus on the course here for a moment: What are your thoughts? Does anyone look at this and think to themselves, "another Art Hills course"? I've played MANY Hills courses, growing up in Michigan, and playing down in Florida, and to me, this looks NOTHING like a typical Art Hills course.

The par threes in particular look really impressive. at 7500 yards, and 6 sets of tees, they're clearly looking to host some PGA/USGA stops, but from the photos, it looks like a minimalist design to me.  And yes, I realize the irony of that statement...

If the weather cooperates, I'm going to walk the course a bit on Saturday, so hopefully I'll have some updates for those who give a hoot. 

Jim Colton

Re: Chicago Highlands - Opens May 15
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 05:47:15 PM »
Very interesting Mike. I rather play Black Sheep.

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
Jim, why not both?

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 05:54:16 PM »
Thanks for the update Mike. I actually just drove past the property this afternoon from a meeting in Oak Brook.

Let us know what you think after you walk it this weekend.
H.P.S.

Alex Miller

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 05:56:58 PM »
Thanks for the pictures!

I really like the reverse road hole style seventh hole. That's about it....

jonathan_becker

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 07:45:46 PM »
Thanks for the photos Mike

It's weird for me to think there's a golf course on that land now.  When I lived in Chicago, for about a year of my life I drove past that area almost every day.

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 07:59:08 PM »
Mike,

I hope it's great.  But lets face it.  It is Art Hills and there's some pretty decent western burbs competition.  Medinah, Chicago, Black Sheep, Butler and a newly renovated Butterfield for starters....I'm guessing the wait list everywhere other than Chicago Golf (I know they don't have one) ain't what it used to be...Although I would join sight unseen over Rich Harvest.....
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 08:03:26 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

J_ Crisham

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 09:57:55 PM »
I walked the course last Fall during the members meet/greet day with Arthur Hills in attendance. I found it to be a big strong course with nice elevation changes and some interesting green contours. This is  a nice addition to the Western suburban clubs. I will probably be playing here on May 22nd so I will post some pictures.     Jack

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 07:53:10 AM »
I am waiting for Paul Richards to chime in......

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 08:07:13 AM »
Mike,

I hope it's great.  But lets face it.  It is Art Hills and there's some pretty decent western burbs competition.  Medinah, Chicago, Black Sheep, Butler and a newly renovated Butterfield for starters....I'm guessing the wait list everywhere other than Chicago Golf (I know they don't have one) ain't what it used to be...Although I would join sight unseen over Rich Harvest.....

Jud, I understand your point, re competition, but I'm wondering if in a vacuum, is this a serious track?

Art Hills is 80, and he reunited on this design I'm told with his long time construction team headed by his best buddy. Is it possible that the guy is capable of turning out a serious candidate course?  I would like to think so. Coore & Crenshaw and Doak can't be the only modern guys capable of building a  great course these days, right?

Regardless, I've only seen pictures, so I'm reserving the right to change my mind, but I'm saying I think I is possible.

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 08:22:20 AM »
Mike,

Jud, I understand your point, re competition, but I'm wondering if in a vacuum, is this a serious track?

Art Hills is 80, and he reunited on this design I'm told with his long time construction team headed by his best buddy. Is it possible that the guy is capable of turning out a serious candidate course?  I would like to think so. Coore & Crenshaw and Doak can't be the only modern guys capable of building a  great course these days, right?

Regardless, I've only seen pictures, so I'm reserving the right to change my mind, but I'm saying I think I is possible.

I'm not really sure you can compare Chicago Highlands to places like Medinah, Chicago, and Butler as you have to remember the property Hills had to start with there compared to those previously mentioned courses and their great sites. Also, it seems like CH is planning on competing not completely on the quality of the course, but also on amenities...they look to have a fantastic practice area, workout facility, dining, etc...

But to cast it off by saying "I would rather join Chicago Golf" is a little out there as 1) very few people have access to all the above mentioned clubs and 2) Chicago Highlands doesn't seem to be even trying to be a Chicago Golf, Medinah, etc...
H.P.S.

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 08:36:49 AM »
For the purposes of this thread, I'm just thinking about the course.  Joining or not joining is another topic. I'm just thinking about the course.  Looking forward to hearing Jack's feedback after playing it.

Chris Flamion

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 09:48:47 AM »
After seeing 2 sets of pictures of the place I think the quality of the course is going to come down to the conditioning.  If everything is extremely firm and dry the course could be something at the least different.

AS far as the club goes I just don't see it taking off due to how much competition there is.

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 10:44:12 AM »
Mike,

Coore & Crenshaw and Doak can't be the only modern guys capable of building a  great course these days, right?

Well I guess you could throw Mike Devries in the mix if you really want to be generous   ;D   A couple of points:

1.  Would you really consider Art Hills a modern guy at this point?

2.  As I haven't seen the course, my opinion is worth the paper it's printed on.  I have nothing against Art Hills per se, in fact I play regularly at one of his courses, although this is due primarily to the group I play with occasionally than my choice of courses...

3.  I said that I hope it's great.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jud_T

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 10:49:15 AM »
Mike,

I'm not really sure you can compare Chicago Highlands to places like Medinah, Chicago, and Butler as you have to remember the property Hills had to start with there compared to those previously mentioned courses and their great sites. Also, it seems like CH is planning on competing not completely on the quality of the course, but also on amenities...they look to have a fantastic practice area, workout facility, dining, etc...

But to cast it off by saying "I would rather join Chicago Golf" is a little out there as 1) very few people have access to all the above mentioned clubs and 2) Chicago Highlands doesn't seem to be even trying to be a Chicago Golf, Medinah, etc...

Pat,

I didn't cast it off, I said I hope it's great.  I didn't say I'd rather join Chicago Golf, although that's certainly the case, and yes access to that course is not the easiest ticket in town.  However,  access and in fact membership in this economy is I believe somewhat more realistic and probably around the same price point at Butterfield, Butler, Medinah and Black Sheep.  If Chicago Highlands is even mentioned in the same breath as these courses in 10 years time it will indeed be very good...

JR Potts

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 11:18:51 AM »
Jeff Perdew, the Illinois Section 2009 Assistant PGA Professional of the Year, has been hired on as the PGA Professional over there.  He was the first assistant at Medinah over the last 5+ years.  He's a great guy and will be a wonderful addition over there.

Re: the course, I think that the pictures look intriguing.  I look forward to playing it.

I have heard rumors about the downstroke to join - I only hope they're just rumors as it is $35k more than Medinah...but it does have an equity component.

PCCraig

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 11:28:31 AM »
Mike,

Pat,

I didn't cast it off, I said I hope it's great.  I didn't say I'd rather join Chicago Golf, although that's certainly the case, and yes access to that course is not the easiest ticket in town.  However,  access and in fact membership in this economy is I believe somewhat more realistic and probably around the same price point at Butterfield, Butler, Medinah and Black Sheep.  If Chicago Highlands is even mentioned in the same breath as these courses in 10 years time it will indeed be very good...

Sorry Jud, I shouldn't of "replied to all" as my comment was more general in nature as it relates to people's opinion of the course over the last few threads on the place. I hope it's great as well, and to be honest it looks alot better than more Art Hills courses I've seen.  :)

Unfortunatley for Art, he gets a bad rap around here. Sometimes I wonder what people would say about some courses that they usually dismiss knowing the GCA, but if told that it's a Doak, C&C, or Devries course they would suddenly find the "hidden meaning" in the course and it's design.
H.P.S.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 11:37:33 AM »
I spoke with Art on Monday night about another course, and the conversation turned to Chicago Highlands. He's eager to get reaction to it, and excited that he had land with next to no trees (there are a few in one corner) to do with what he wanted to do. Everyone I know who has walked the course (and one who played it last fall) is enthralled by it. I have no idea what the economy holds for it (or us), but as a course, I hope for the sake of the people involved it's a hit.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 11:52:19 AM »
Ryan,
I'm told that they also hired the Asst. Superintendent from Chicago Golf to head up their operation.  Many here probably know this person, though I don't, but let's assume that we can confer status on this gentleman based on the wisdom of CGC hiring him in the first place - I think that gives them at least a good chance of having some excellent conditions, management and mother-nature willing.

Again, I've not seen it, but I am, like Jud and Pat, at least hopeful that it surprises everyone as an excellent course. 

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 08:31:48 AM »
I just received an email from Tom Healy who is developing the course. Tom confirmed the May 15 opening and indicated a plan to open the pool and poolhouse on July 1. I am hoping to meet Tom at CH in July. Maybe we can turn it into a GCA event

Adam Clayman

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 07:30:23 PM »
Came across this from a Sun-Times article by Len Ziehm?

Any one else want to report?

Most notable aspect of Hills, design is the green at the double dogleg par-5
seventh hole. Measuring 18,000-square feet and 76 yards in depth, it,s the
biggest green in Illinois. The ninth hole, a driveable par-4, is the most
interesting of many thought-provoking holes. The uphill tee shot is impacted
by a pot bunker in the center of the fairway that is 10 feet deep and the
green itself is at the highest point on the course. It,s 95 feet above the
club entrance on 31st Street.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim Colton

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 07:40:34 PM »
I found this pic of #9

Adam Clayman

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 10:47:58 PM »

There's a story in the Trib. on this course titled

"Sportscaster has great time at Chicago Highlands: 'This course is so much fun; I have a perma-grin"

Some exerpts

Chicago Highlands is sensational enough to deserve its own story. John Baxter, a Massachusetts native with a business degree from Northwestern's Kellogg School of Management, spared no expense in building what he called the first new family club (nearby Butler is men only) in Chicago's western suburbs since 1928.

Still under construction is a complex of four swimming pools (with a 115-foot water slide), a hockey rink, a spa and an indoor practice facility, where the lessons will be free. (But the initiation is six figures.)

Baxter asked course architect Arthur Hills to build a course with city views, hidden cart paths and wide fairways, so players would not lose golf balls — or their love of the game

Baxter never keeps score but did make a birdie on the par-4 14th, the one in which players aim their tee shots at Willis Tower.

He took far more pleasure, though, in providing hole-by-hole descriptions, such as: "Here's No. 7, a double-dogleg par-5 with the largest green in Illinois."

The ninth is a short par-4 with a protective bunker modeled after a famous one at Pine Valley. The green is the highest point on the course and affords 360-degree views.

"Have you ever seen a setting like this," Baxter asked. "I call it big sky country."
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back