News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

PGA Tour Gets Tough On The Weak
« on: April 04, 2010, 03:42:32 PM »
When Doug Barron, a pro with a numerical weighting of about 900 on World Ranking,  got suspended for a year for high levels of tetosterone in his system, I wonder who ordered the test. It seemed odd that such a nonentity would even appear on the radar.

With Tim Finchem hustling sponsors to give Steve Elkington an invite to their tourneys it would seem as though the Tour's administrators do care about their players... as long as they are winners.

See:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2010/04/02/2010-04-02_he_gets_testy_on_tiger.html?page=2

John Moore II

Re: PGA Tour Gets Tough On The Weak
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 07:01:35 PM »
Yeah, that is pretty stupid that he was tested. And even more stupid that you can be suspended for doing something that was perscribed to you and administered by a reputable medical doctor. Just shows how much of a witch hunt this whole "steriod scandal" has become.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 08:39:07 PM »
John,

Thanks for your comments.

To think that the thread has been opened 140 times and yours is the only response, is somewhat puzzling.

In the past on this site there was much concern about the possibilty that Tiger was on the juice, and here was a guy using a prescription medicine prescribed by a reputable physician and Finchem et. al ., ban him for a year. 

This is something one expects from the NCAA.

Bob

John Moore II

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 09:00:49 PM »
Bob-funny you mention the NCAA as the PGA Tour may well use their list of banned substances as their list. I know the Dept. of Defense uses the NCAA list for uniformed service members. And I honestly question, same as the writer of that article, if this drug policy is being enforced strictly, openly, uniformly and fairly. Since they started testing the biggest name player I can recall getting tested is Davis Love III, and he's not exactly a stud anymore. Makes you think a little bit. (But I do disagree with the writer saying pain meds should be illegal. I honestly think 75% of the Champions Tour would fail if that were the case. I know my dad, who is 75, takes some pretty strong pain meds for his arthritis, have to believe some of those tour golfers are the same)

Ben Sims

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 09:05:10 PM »
John,

Thanks for your comments.

To think that the thread has been opened 140 times and yours is the only response, is somewhat puzzling.

In the past on this site there was much concern about the possibilty that Tiger was on the juice, and here was a guy using a prescription medicine prescribed by a reputable physician and Finchem et. al ., ban him for a year. 

This is something one expects from the NCAA.

Bob

Mr. Huntley,

I too am employed in a position that requires random drug testing.

From the MLB, to cycling, to the PGA tour to the military and et al; the practices of self-policing from within an organization that can only be tarnished by that policing, are quite interesting.  The PGA knows who it's money makers are, and they aren't 900th on the world ranking.

Ben

Jed Rammell

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 09:08:10 PM »
The Doug Barron deal bugs me a little, but the Elkington "letter" reeks of the classic stereotpe of golf; elitist snobbery revolving around who you know. Just a terrible decision by Finchem.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 09:51:52 PM »
Bob,  At the risk of piling on Tim Finchem, what a joke of a  "press conference" he orchestrated for us with the PGA tour's current rainmaker. If the #50 player in the world behaved with the complete lack of integrity that Tiger displayed rest assured Finchem would have thrown him quickly under the bus. At the end of the day it is who you are and what you can bring to the tour financially. Should things get ugly with Tiger's physician, and no , not the one that sutured up the 9 iron scars in November, but rather the one that reportedly juiced up his knee during his "other" rehab , will Finchem act as decisively and drastically as with the tour's little fish?  Fat Chance!                                                            Wish you well,    Jack
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:06:51 PM by Jack Crisham »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 11:35:18 PM »
The Tour is such a strange setup as opposed to other sports organizations.  If Barron were a baseball player, he'd have the weight of the union behind him; but on Tour, there is no union, no appeals process.  And the Tour players are pretty two-faced about that sort of stuff ... as a whole, they don't mind reducing the competiton, even if it's someone who is not a contender [because as a whole, they're more worried about the few dollars between #125 and #126, than they are about who wins]. 

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 07:01:03 AM »
As always it’s just down to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCkOmcIl79s. Or should we call this the evil that is not helping the game of golf only those who participate. Its simply all about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCkOmcIl79s&feature=related, so tell me who are the real intolerant ones, those who care or those who SCREW out the last drop of blood from Golf.

Melvyn

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 12:49:36 AM »
Should Barron's case get to trial and discovery produces some of the test results of the Tour's  bigger names, I think Mr. Barron will be reinstated post haste.

Bob

Pat Burke

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 01:49:57 AM »
Okay, I may be wrong here (it's been known to happen), but this started when Barron failed a drug test?

IF that is how it started, then this is all on Doug.  I quit playing in large part due to constant migraines in the last few years of my career.
I had them my whole life, but it seemed that after my wrist surgery, the frequency ramped up to almost daily.  I walked away after 2 years of trying anything and everything (it seemed) to get rid of them.  There was no drug testing then, and I tried all manners of mediations at the direction of my neurologist.  A couple of years later, I had a student who suffered with migraines managed with propanolol, a banned substance (beta blocker).  I too tried propanolol for 2 months when I was playing, and it had no effect on my migraines, but for this kid it kept them in check.
The Tour sent pretty specific guidelines, including the rules for appealing to the Tour for the use of prescribed medications.  There have been a few players dealing with this process, including S. Micheel, who has a low testosterone disorder.  He has had to jump through ridiculous hoops (IMO) to be able to use the medicine that helped save his career.
If I decided to try to play again, I would very easily know the requirements for submitting all of my medications.  I do not agree with everything they are doing with this, but if what I understand is correct, Doug was taking a medication that was banned, and it is his responsibility to have submitted that to check it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back