News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Sunningdale, Colts changes to Park's course.
« on: March 17, 2010, 06:19:48 PM »

For some contemporary pictures here are visits by

Mark Rowlinson’s
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,14790.0/

Philip Gawith too
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,20825.0/  

(Didn’t Sean give us his take? Can’t find it)

There was a recent excellent comparison between Huntercombe 1901 by Willie Park and Swinley Forrest 1909 by Colt.  The subject of Colts changes to Parks Sunningdale (also 1901) was raised.
Huntercombe thread.
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43551.0/

Here’s Tom Mac Wood on the breakthrough that Sunningdale and Huntercombe represented.

Like most of his fellow architects at that time Park’s success (or lack of success) could easily be predicted. When given good material near the sea he produced good results, when given an ordinary inland site he did nothing of consequence ”that is until 1899. That year he began Sunningdale, and it was a major advancement. It was considered revolutionary for two primary reasons: first its scale was enormous for that time, and secondly the severity of the site, not only topographically but also in the nature of the ground. At that time it was considered unadvisable to make a course over sandy ground overgrown with heather. Sunningdale was the first course to be wholly sown from seed, at a considerable cost I might add.
Soon after being engaged at Sunningdale Willie began Huntercombe, and it was another breakthrough design. Huntercombe was unusual for its use of hazards “ man-made and natural “ strategically placed in central and flanking locations. These two courses were constructed simultaneously, and Willie reportedly made frequent trips back to Musselbourgh seeking inspiration. That was a novel approach as well. Both Sunningdale and Huntercombe opened to positive reviews in 1901, and were tremendous improvements over the dreaded Victorian courses, but one should not get the impression they were polished gems. Golf architecture improved incrementally not overnight
So although Huntercombe was the first to be ready it possibly benefitted from lessons learned in planning Sunningdale first.  The two sites also have remarkably different terrain for sandy inland heaths, 30 miles apart.  The kind of blindness described below was barely an option at the much flatter Huntercombe, where there is subtle part blindness (falling away greens).  If Huntercombe took its inspiration from Musselburgh, then perhaps the blindness and large greens at Sunningdale were channelling The Old Course, with a double green the ‘tell’?

You frequently read comments vaguely referring to changes Colt made at Sunningdale, where he was the first Secretary. After a decade or so his ties to the club lessened but they used him when they needed a second course in 1922 and “the committee” for the most part continued to listen to him.

A few opinions

Dickinson wrote “Many people believe Sunningdale Old Course to be the finest inland golf course in England. I am among that number...” and “Sunningdale has hardly been altered since Willie Park laid it out in 1900.”

Horace Hutchinson “Harry Colt had by that time gone to Sunningdale, and was making improvements on the original plan of Willy Park.”

The American Golfer 1920 (not sure which month!) pg36 ‘Echoes from British Links’.
Quoting a letter from AC Croome in the Morning Post. “Among the many services which Mr Harry Colt rendered to the Sunningdale Club must be reckoned the modifications of several holes by reduction of their more gigantic features. For example, the putting green of the first, sixth, eleventh, twelfth, and fifteenth holes are about half the size of those originally constructed, and the play of them has consequently gained much in interest.”

The American Golfer March 1917  Park and the Past by Henry Leach pg 357.  “He was responsible for the primary design of the latter (Sunningdale), a beautiful course cut out of a wilderness of heather on some high, rolling land in Berkshire.  Mr Colt soon set himself to work on the first designs when they had been applied, and he has carried out vast improvements n the original model, so that Sunningdale as we know it now, the inland course that I still consider as the best and most delightful to play upon in the whole of Britain is not at all what was at first. Still Willie was in at the beginning with Sunningdale; that is a lasting distinction.”

I’ve looked at two main sources

The club Centenary History.  Unfortunately I find this a major disappointment in so many ways but it’s the most authoritative guide we currently have. Comments on changes to each hole listed below.
Darwin started The Golf Courses of The British Isles 1901 with a lengthy review of the course – his comments in italics.  NB it’s worth remembering that Colt was a friend of Darwin and it may explain the unusually outspoken comments below.

It should also be noted that changes to 1 & 18 in 1922 were required to create space for the second course.

Original tee roughly where the 18 Green is now 1922
Shared a large green with 17 until 1907, nearer heather banks than at present.  The ditch that partly still exists ran across the hole in front of the green and had to be carried.  IN 1910 THE PART GUARDING THE GREEN WAS FILLED IN AND THE GREEN MOVED TO its CURRENT POSITION.
1922 bunker added LHS of green
Bank lowered – ditch in front of green removed.
1910 green moved
1928 second small bunker added ON LEFT SLOPE
1955 2 bunkers by green merged.

Tee pushed back several times.
Bunkers on the right of the fairway removed 1960
1928 bunker 150 yards short of green added.
Green slopes front to back and in 1961 the bunker on the left of the green was extended to the right, and more into the green.

Little altered, lengthened.  A bunker left of the green was removed in 1960 and the hollow left with grass and heather.

Darwin described it “There is a  bunker that “pokes and nuzzles with its nose” into the left-hand or top edge of the green, and he who pulls this drive ever so slightly will have a more difficult pitch to play over the bunker into a somewhat slippery and sloping green that runs away from him”

1910 green moved to right from lower ground. The tee was far right and practically a blind shot
Darwin describing the old hole “as short hole on a plateau green some way above the player. The plateau is reasonably small and well guarded...a better hole than it was, maybe, but not quite worthy of Sunningdale yet.”
As 4th green was constructed tee had to be moved to the right
5th green moved to right “at same time” putting pond more in play. Fairway bunkers added and pond enlarged 60’s and 70’s. Sleepers added 1996

Until 1961 two cross bunkers guarded the green.
Darwin “Another wonderfully good two-shot hole is the sixth, where the green lies in an angle of a wood, and we must hole our second shot well up to the left so that the ball shall trickle slowly down the sloping green towards the hole...”
See also Croome above.
Drive was blind over a large bunker now disused in the hill. The second shot was also blind, a dog leg left over another now disused bunker to a green in the hollow.

Alterations discussed in 1908, (green was too wet) but not changed until 1922. New current green decided upon by the committee. It seems for a while the old was kept as an alternative.

Darwin The seventh is a bone of contention, some averring that it is a fine ‘sporting hole’, while others have no names too bad for it...Those who like a blind tee-shot and a blind second will admire it, and those who don’t won’t and there is the whole mater in a very small compass.”

Unspecified criticism from 1906
So when 7 G move hole redesigned 8th was realigned and left hand greenside bunker enlarged and brought more into the green. Since lengthened and in 1970 the greenside bunkering extended.

Darwin n The Golf Courses of the British Isles (1910) wrote “The eight is quite a good short hole now (it used to be bad and blind and stupid)”

Nothing significant until 1981 when a two tier green constructed

Sometime before WW11 fairway bunker moved nearer the green. Later a new back tee added.
Ouimet putting on the 10th in 1917

Originally a large green on fairway level.
1910 the committee decided to make a double plateau with a hollow between.
“Left hand green” abandoned by 1922
1928 a bunker was made in the hollow in the left face of the green.  IN 1992 a controversial change involved removing a heather bank and hollow to the right of the green. This was extended to a ditch.

Original Green was low and to right of existing green dating from 1911 with a mound created in the right face.  A RHS fairway bunker was added in 1921 and later taken out of use.  As second one was added and later moved neared to the fairway.
1921 Bunker added to fairway.

Original hole played at 260 yards blind over a hill. 1907 shortened to 160 yards from top of hill.  Green was larger with a small bunker in centre “Colts Po” When green was later reduced behind bunker, bunker was enlarged.  The grassy hollow on the right of green there from the start but left hand one added 1970
Darwin “Once one of the very worst holes in the world, and is now a thoroughly attractive one.”
 Parks original green was originally mowed as a square?

Today

Little change Two bunkers disused one to left and one to right in the oblique line crossing fairway.  Fairway narrowed over time

(Edit oblique lines of Bunkers are surely a Colt signature?)

Second set of tee added to left of 14 green in 1918. Green originally much larger coming forward

Fairway narrowed over time.

Double green wasn’t large enough. 1907 moved to right of present position.
1922 current green created to allow room for New Course.

“here Mr Colt has worked a great transformation and turned a hole that once possessed no merits whatever into a thoroughly good one, with a most difficult second shot.”

Originally longer. Green between present 18th greens for old and New. Original sloped back to front with cross bunker.  Again moved to allow room for new course in 1922.  Green shrunk during war and Luftwaffe added two bunkers.

After the 1922 changes.

More old pictures
Ouimet again in 1917

This next shot is from some time prior to the mid 1930’s – Can anyone identify this ‘typical green’?

From Tom MacWood's essay, Sunningdale Old:

(Ally/Tom I’m not sure which essay that’s from?)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 05:51:18 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Neil_Crafter

Re: Sunningdale, Colts changes to Park's course.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 06:42:25 PM »
Tony
Very nice. There is another source for you to consider as well, Darwin's golf club handbook on Sunningdale, a copy of which I have recently purchased dated 1924. He does a hole by hole description of the Old and a more general one of the New. With about 8 or so photographs. If I get the chance I'll try and scan the pages and pics and post them here. You'll be interested to know that a number of the photos are credited to Sutton & Sons.
Neil

JNC Lyon

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 06:47:45 PM »
Fascinating account, Tony.  It sounds like the original layout, while a departure from the Victorian style, was still quite primitive.  It makes me wonder how much Huntercombe has evolved since its opening.  The courses were completed in the same year, yet I saw no greens that were anything like the original square 13th at Sunningdale.

I think the hole-by-hole format is the best way to determine the evolution of the golf course.  A year-by-year timeline can get messy.  It is easy to confuse which architects made what changes.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 04:41:25 AM »

I think the hole-by-hole format is the best way to determine the evolution of the golf course.  A year-by-year timeline can get messy.  It is easy to confuse which architects made what changes.

Tony, I might show you some of my Irish accounts when you are over. Nice work on Sunningdale though - I wonder what essay of Tom's I was quoting myself?

JNC, Personally, I've found that the clearest way is to deal with redesign work (i.e. routing changes, green moves etc...) on a year by year basis and then look at renovation work (bunker placement, visibility changes, tee additions etc...) on a hole by hole basis... But each to their own...

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 05:13:48 AM »
Tony's notes seem similar to what many have discussed previously.  The bones of  Park course with significant changes by Colt.  It sounds as though Colt took out any hint of centre-line hazards and greens feeding from fairways at grade level. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tom MacWood

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 01:49:40 PM »
This is a great thread. I count 7 new greens. This is where Colt started to get a reputation for elevated greens; the Park greens he replaced were level with fairway or in depressions. The two most publicized changes were Colt's new par-3s at #4 and #8. The old holes were thought by Darwin (and others) to be a glaring weakness of the original layout - the par-3s in general were thought be weak. I'll see if I can dig up some old photos later on.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 02:15:22 PM by Tom MacWood »

James Boon

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 05:08:32 PM »
Tony,

Thanks for taking the time to put this thread together.

I've often wondered about the relationship of 3 Park courses? People often refer to Sunningdale Old and Huntercombe being built and opened at the same time, but its worth noting that Notts (Hollinwell) also opened about this time, in November 1901. I get the impression all 3 were built with the old guttie ball in mind, and so its interesting to see how Colts work updated the course at Sunningdale and I get the impression that Huntercombe hasn't changed much, but Hollinwell was changed almost instantly.

Park's course at Hollinwell was 5,500 yards long and apparently didn't have many bunkers, and it was only a year after opening that JH Taylor in conjunction with club pro Tom Williamson   made recommendations to add length and bunkers. Darwin talked of Hollinwell having potential but "More bunkers – many more bunkers – at the sides of the course, and perhaps not quite so many in the middle would be no bad prescription for Hollinwell." Tom Williamson went on to make many more changes through his lifetimes service at the club and Frank Pennick and Donald Steel have had input as well.

There is actually very little refrence to Park in the Hollinwell history, and its seems as if he left a course that was light on bunkers, but then I suppose thats not suprising with the other two courses he had on the go at the time? I feel as if there is only a little of Park left at Hollinwell (a few holes fit Darwins early descriptions, and there are a few sneaky centre line bunkers to test us), so its interesting to see that Sunningdale, a course always referred to as a Park course, also had plenty of work done over the years. Tom Macwood's quote "one should not get the impression they were polished gems. Golf architecture improved incrementally not overnight" seems to ring very true.

Thanks again Tony.

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mike Cirba

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:35:57 PM »
Tony,

Thanks for a tremendous post.

I believe that Willie Park Jr. and Harry Colt had more to do with the creation of inland naturalism than virtually anyone with the possible exceptions of Hutchinson and Fowler.

These men were really the direct link to the proper evolution of inland architecture in the States, and had considerable and lasting influence.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 03:44:13 AM »
A couple of quotes on this thread have referred to eradicating centreline bunkers from Park Jr's design at both Hollinwell and Sunningdale... Do you think we are talking genuine stategic centreline bunkering here... or more likely cross bunkering?... If the former, maybe he was truly ahead of his time with regards to some things?...

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 03:55:04 AM »

Neil, It would be great if you can post. He’ll be writing 10 years later and I’d be very surprised if he repeats such strong language for him.

Tom more photo’s would be most welcome as the book has virtually none.

Another thing it lacks is Old Scorecards or any means of determining what the changes meant for the course. Does Colt changing holes top Par threes meant the Par effectively dropped. Elsewhere Darwin wrote that he knew of no course which was so improved by the Haskell Ball. i.e. Park laid out a monster in 1901.

James you’re right Park couldn’t have known that the ball was about to be revolutionised.  He was a busy man in 1901 as he also opened Sundridge Park – anyone played it?  Interesting how Holinwell now has a reputation for toughness.

Sean I’m hoping to play Park’s Stoneham (1908) on Monday.  From your report it seems that by then even Park had reduced the use of centreline hazards, even if he still seems fond of blindness?

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,30823.0/ 

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 04:01:11 AM »

Another thing I’m interested  in is Reputation.  How soon was Sunningdale identified in the larger public mind as THE London Course.  I believe it was much later that the casual Golfer would have desired to play Wentworth above all others.  I can’t see a csse for Huntercombne or Woking ever being more than a niche courses, but Walton Heath with all the professional tournaments its held could also make a strong case from the off.

Although professional Tournaments were held at Sunningdale from the start, e.g. Professional Match play Championship inaugurated here in 1903, the respect for the course seems mainly to have come after Colts changes.

E.G.

Darwin starts his book with Sunningdale and doesn’t give Huntercombe more than a passing reference as more typical of Parks work.

Darwin Golfing By Paths 1946

“Sunningdale was the first inland course to become really famous and it has ever since been unofficially regarded as the premier inland course.”

Horace Hutchinson Fifty Years of Golf 1914
“But of all, that of Sunningdale has always seemed to me just about the best of the inland ones - certainly the best of the earlier made ones.”

Joshua Crane made Sunningdale the first course under the spotlight in an article for Golf Illustrated (year?) although he found several poor holes 3, 9, 11, 14 and “one of the worst golf holes ever perpetrated the 7th.” 

Pennick “Perhaps the most famous inland course in the world...” ;D

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 04:23:30 AM »

Neil, It would be great if you can post. He’ll be writing 10 years later and I’d be very surprised if he repeats such strong language for him.

Tom more photo’s would be most welcome as the book has virtually none.

Another thing it lacks is Old Scorecards or any means of determining what the changes meant for the course. Does Colt changing holes top Par threes meant the Par effectively dropped. Elsewhere Darwin wrote that he knew of no course which was so improved by the Haskell Ball. i.e. Park laid out a monster in 1901.

James you’re right Park couldn’t have known that the ball was about to be revolutionised.  He was a busy man in 1901 as he also opened Sundridge Park – anyone played it?  Interesting how Holinwell now has a reputation for toughness.

Sean I’m hoping to play Park’s Stoneham (1908) on Monday.  From your report it seems that by then even Park had reduced the use of centreline hazards, even if he still seems fond of blindness?

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,30823.0/  

Tony

Yes, Stoneham is much more conventional than Huntercombe, but the terrain allows for exciting conventionality.  Give that course some thoughtful greens and Stoneham is right up there with the big boys of London.  Perhaps Park Jr could see the writing on the wall about centre-line hazards not being terribly fashionable.  I wonder if Park's hazards were lumped together in the backlash against the Victorian style cross hazards.  We see Fowler continue to forge ahead with centre-line hazards well after the creation of Stoneham.  Then again, I don't think Fowler relied on architecture to make ends meet in the same way Park did.  Park was likely still in financial difficulties due to Huntercombe and  probably had to be a bit customer friendly than Fowler.  Its amazing that to this day centre-line hazards are controversial even though when done well they allow for the most options.  

I think Sunny was famous from day one in archie circles, but Colt launched Sunny to world-wide recognition.  

James

I think quite a bit of Park's routing still exists at Notts.  My take is the opening three holes are Williamson and much of the rest is as Park left it.  Though Williamson did reverse the direction of two other holes.  To me Taylor is the guy getting too much credit.

Ciao  
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 04:35:22 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

James Boon

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 05:14:16 AM »
Tony,

Some interesting quotes that give a real sense of Sunningdale's standing in the world. However, and don't worry I'm not knocking you here  ;) , but I am sometimes suspicous of quotes without their context. If a guy is writing about all the courses in the country and he says that course X is the best inland course then that sounds good, however, if they've been asked to comment on just course X and they say its the best inland course, then there is potential for a degree of spin being put on something. What do you think?

Sean,

Regarding whats left of Park at Hollinwell, I get the impression that most of what Taylor did was bunkering, the real changes were made by Williamson, though I suppose there is a good deal of Park's routing remaining. The later work by Pennick and Steel and the recent revisions were also mostly bunkering which has changed a fair bit, but there are still a few bunkers that have an old fashioned feel to them such as the cross bunker short of the 4th, now much narrower than I remember it from first time I played, or the rather penal bunker in front of the 16th green.

I'll post my understanding of a hole by hole shortly, either here, or bumping a Hollinwell thread...

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tom MacWood

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 06:36:00 AM »
The first four pictures of the 17th, 10th, 4th and 3rd come from Sutton's Book of the Links 1912. The last two images of the new 8th come from Aleck Bauer's book on hazards 1913. I find the photo of the 10th most interesting, illustrating how progress came incrementally. The hole has some very old fashion lines.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:37:35 AM by Tom MacWood »

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 01:29:40 AM »
OK Tony, got around to doing the scans. So here goes.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 10:45:31 AM »
Some of those pictures are spectacular. I can see why Colt would have been angry when the club hired Simpson.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 11:48:12 AM »
I wonder if the 8th is the Harry Colt hole that Stephen Kay/Ron Whitten tried to copy a bit at Architects Golf Club.

I agree with Tom MacWood...those pics look amazing.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 12:23:51 PM »
Thanks Tony - great work in putting this together and some fascinating pictures.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 02:16:20 PM »
Some incredible pics there, it's almost impossible to comprehend how barren it was all those years ago!

I am pretty sure that the picture of the 5th hole which is presented during the description of The Old is actually a picture of the 5th on The New?

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 03:26:04 PM »
Tom, that may well be the case. The handbook doesn't distinguish between pics from the Old vs the New course. Have not been to Sunningdale myself so I do not know!

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 03:55:41 PM »
Some incredible pics there, it's almost impossible to comprehend how barren it was all those years ago!

I am pretty sure that the picture of the 5th hole which is presented during the description of The Old is actually a picture of the 5th on The New?

Tom

It has to be The New. 

Ciao

Tom Birkert

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 11:56:22 PM »
Tom, that may well be the case. The handbook doesn't distinguish between pics from the Old vs the New course. Have not been to Sunningdale myself so I do not know!

The 5th on The Old is a famous par 4 with a downhill drive and a pond (I believe the first artificial water hazard in golf) on the approach.

The 5th on The New is a par 3 - very underrated in my opinion - with an elevated tee shot to a green. Whilst the tress have grown around the green I think it's pretty sure that the picture is of that hole.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 12:10:09 AM »
The pictures of the 9th and 10th are also the New - I suspect all the photos are of the New.

James Boon

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 04:51:17 AM »
Tom M,

Thanks for those photos. They show how wide open the course was to start, buit the other thing which jumps out to me is the straight edge to the fairway on 10. I assume this is the edge of the seeding, and over time would become a more natural edge?

Neil,

Thanks for taking the time to post the Darwin booklet scans. Always good to be able to read his desrciptions of courses.

Tom B,

Good to hear from you. Hope you are well? I also thought that the picture in the middle of the old description had to be from the new course as its certainly not from the old.

If all the pitures are from the new then it seems odd as the write up wonderfully covers both courses, and probably more so the old, so not to add photos seems a missed opportunity?

Cheers,

James

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 08:32:16 AM »
Thanks to all for your contributions

It's interesting seeing all those old photos v knowing what's in there now on both courses.

The old courses look barren by comparison.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back