News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Pallier

Cypress Point (CP) is “hallowed” turf in every sense of the word. I can only think of a few golf courses that I have experienced where I suggest it’s almost a religious experience in just being there. Just as Michelangelo is lauded for his masterpiece in the Sistine Chapel surely Mackenzie can get similar dues for his masterpiece at CP ?

Like TOC – Cypress Point has “a soul” and if your senses and emotions aren’t stirred standing on the first tee – you are a hard person to please. Some say the “experience” is as important as the golf itself and I could think of fewer places in the golfing world where I’d rather be right now than back at CP taking in the sights and sounds of the Monterey Peninsula jewel.

If you get an opportunity to visit CP - I suggest you prepare yourself for an education and what better teacher is there in Dr Alister Mackenzie ? The routing is superb: the way the course transitions from parkland, to woodland to duneland to ocean coastline golf is brilliant in itself. Some have suggested that the only blight on the course is the finishing hole but they forget that you have to get back to where you started and what a better place to finish than to overlook this….

I will forever be indebted to the gentlemen who helped me to fulfil a lifelong dream and I think it’s only fair to present an 18 hole exploration of my thoughts on my one and surely only visit to such a Mecca.

Holes:
1st = (P4: 420yds) A drive over a small hedge downhill to a wide fairway with bunkers left that then narrows uphill to a green that similar to the first at NGLA in that it’s design is a study in itself. Is there a better walk than this ?

2nd = (P5: 548yds) is a pretty tough hole across a ridge and the #1 Index. The right hand side is flanked by an OOB fence line and the left protected by a deep gully and bunker. The hole again narrows to a green site that is quite long and has some small internal movement in it.

3rd = (P3: 162yds) is a slight downhill P3 to a well protected green. I enjoyed the other P3’s more so than this hole.

4th = (P4: 384yds) is the hole that transitions you into the woodland area of the property and requires an accurate drive and approach shot. Mackenzie is famous for his army camouflage roots and one couldn’t help but notice as you look from the hole back down the property that the bunkers appear to disappear.

The bunkering is extensive:

Then the bunkers appear to then disappear:

5th = (P5: 493yds) is an uphill dogleg left P5 that requires an accurate drive through a chute of trees with a large bunker protecting the inside of the dogleg. The hole then progressively climbs uphill to a green that is protected by bunkers left and right as well as a central cross bunker.

The bunkers on the approach

Are large but again..

Are well camouflaged

6th = (P5: 518yds) is the second of the famous B2B P’5’s and is downhill with a significant right to left cant in the fairway. The approach shot looks simple enough but hitting off a side/downhill lie is not. The large dune in the background is a sign of the transition to come

7th = (P3: 168yds) is uphill to a small offset green. A large wasteland area of a dune protects the left hand side and three bunkers punish anything short.

8th = (P4: 363yds) is a semi-blind drive across a dune to a fairway that moves sharply uphill and to the right. The green has multiple tiers in it and leaves a quick putt from above the hole.

The drive:

The hole from behind the green:

« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 07:39:56 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Kevin Pallier

Re: Golf in California: USA Final Frontier Trip (Cypress Point)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 11:17:39 PM »
9th = (P4: 292yds) is downhill and tempts you to take driver. The waste bunkers off to the right will add a significant degree of difficulty for the second shot from there whilst there is a similar area left as well. The green is quite at an oblique angle similar to the 10th at another of Mackenzie’s short P4 creations: 10RMW and slopes significantly back to front

The vista from the 9th is wonderful

The drive (note the sand):

The narrow green:

10th = (P5: 480yds) an elevated drive down to a fairway that doglegs to the right aside the 6th hole. The fairway then climbs uphill to a deceptive green that is surrounded by bunkers.

11th = (P4: 437yds) doglegs ever so slightly to the right and is a tight drive with a green set back towards the main central dune.

The drive:

There is less room right than it appears from the tee:

12th = (P4: 404yds) doglegs significantly to the right and has an ever present series of bunkers protecting the elevated green.

13th = (P4: 365yds) is the last of the dune holes with a well protected green and takes one back to the Pacific Ocean

14th = (P4: 388yds) is a sharp dogleg right amongst the cypresses to a narrow skyline green

The drive:

The approach:

15th = (P3: 143yds) the first of the famous P3’s in golf and offers a teasing glimpse of the following “all-world” 16th.

The panorama at the 15th tee

The 15th up close:

16th = (P3: 231yds) words cannot describe the breathtaking beauty of this hole.

Drive:

Lay-up:

Green (note the ball :P )

17th = (P4: 393yds) is a dogleg right along the ocean coastline. A long and tall series of Cypresses split the fairway and they are to be avoided at all costs. The green is tucked back on an outcrop at the corner of the property.

Drive:

Approach:

18th = (P4: 346yds) a myriad of Cypresses protect the drive then one is faced with an uphill approach to a deceptively narrow and very quick green to finish off one’s journey.

Drive:

Approach:

Mackenzie is quoted as saying in 1932:
“I do not expect anyone will ever have the opportunity of constructing  another course like Cypress Point as I do not suppose anywhere in the world is there such a glorious combination of rocky coast, sand dunes pine woods and cypress trees.”

How profound - nearly 80 years on we are still waiting……
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 07:42:44 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Gene Greco

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 11:36:15 PM »
.....and the wait will never end.

Spectacular.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 02:13:08 AM »
Thanks Kevin....
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Alex Miller

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 02:25:37 AM »
(Drooling)

So awesome, new desktop background.  :D

One question, why the heck don't they cut down that centerline tree on 18? Only qualm I have, otherwise it looks like what I imagine heaven looks like.

Emil Weber

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 09:00:06 AM »
Some day, hopefully.

Great pictures Kevin, how on earth were you able to get on all these courses  ???

Ron Csigo

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 10:08:37 AM »
Kevin,

Thank you for sharing these photos with us.  Is there a more breathtaking place to play golf than Cypress Point? 

What did you enjoy most about the course?  MacKenzie's greens and bunkers?  The par-3's?
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 10:38:57 AM »
Wow - breathtaking photos and congratulations on getting to the Holy Grail!

Mike Cirba

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 10:39:55 AM »
Wow...

I had almost forgotten exactly how good all that is.

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 12:45:11 PM »
The feeling of playing at CPC is like no other. As Kevin stated, it is somewhat akin to a religious experience. Never have I cared so little about playing so badly. The sense of peace I had afterwards was incredible. Great pics, Kevin, and thanks for sharing. It was a nice reminder of how lucky I was to exprerience such a place.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Ash Towe

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 01:16:28 PM »
Kevin,

Brilliant photo tour.  Reminded me of my round there a few years ago.   It was my most enjoyable round of golf.  Brilliant day, great company and the caddies enhanced the experience.

Thanks for sharing.

Tim Bert

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 02:10:44 PM »
Kevin

Wonderful photos!  Nothing quite like the place.

Shameless plug for a photo slideshow added for those that want to see a few additional photos per hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auRtefNMzU0

Ron Csigo

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 06:52:40 PM »
Kevin

Wonderful photos!  Nothing quite like the place.

Shameless plug for a photo slideshow added for those that want to see a few additional photos per hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auRtefNMzU0

Thanks for sharing Tim.  Not only a flawless course but it seems you get perfect weather when playing it.   :) 
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 08:59:18 PM »
Great pictures Kevin, how on earth were you able to get on all these courses  ???

Emil

With a great deal of patience, planning and of course generosity by a large number of people.

Kevin,

Thank you for sharing these photos with us.  Is there a more breathtaking place to play golf than Cypress Point?  

What did you enjoy most about the course?  MacKenzie's greens and bunkers?  The par-3's?

More breathtaking ? I certainly haven't seen one.

I enjoyed the transitions into the different terrains. Mackenzie does it superbly.

I also liked the greens - the caddies are a must have when trying to read them  - so true and so quick !!

Kevin,

Brilliant photo tour.  Reminded me of my round there a few years ago.   It was my most enjoyable round of golf.  Brilliant day, great company and the caddies enhanced the experience.

Ash

The company do indeed add to the experience. Bob / Mike / Sean and Steve made it ever so special.  I have never seen wider grins on a collective group of grown men throughout the day  ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 09:00:50 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Rob Miller

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 09:56:06 PM »
Outstanding.  Great photos. 

Anything surprise you about the course?  Favorite holes (outside of 16)?

Thoughts about the 18th?

John Mayhugh

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 10:28:04 PM »
Thanks for sharing the photos and your thoughts, Kevin.

I really like your first pic. That view of the 16th from behind the clubhouse really gets the goosebumps started.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
Nice tour Kevin.
I will always remember my round at CPC playing in a two ball in the first group off. Definitely like a religious experience. Only better.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 11:22:21 PM »
Thank you Kevin.

What was your favorite hole?

What shocked you most about the course?

How did the inland holes compare to what you thought they would be prior to your round?

What was your favorite par-5?

Did you go for 9?

Kevin, thanks for sharing.  Its fun to hear about people's rounds out there.  For such a revered course, I found the atmosphere very warm and friendly.  The pro shop staff, and head pro Mr. Reamer are all great guys and really friendly.  Everything there is perfect.  I'm glad to hear you loved it, then again I might be worrying about you if you hadn't!  Thanks again for sharing!!

Cheers,
Jordan

ps did you get a chance to try the oatmeal raisin cookies in the shack left of 11?

Mike Benham

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 11:23:26 PM »

You forgot to mention that it was windy that day ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 11:42:24 PM »
Anything surprise you about the course?  Favorite holes (outside of 16)?

Thoughts about the 18th?

Rob

Surprises ?
Books dont prepare you for the views. As I said words cant do the 16th any justice at all. Like the Grand Canyon - it needs to be experienced to be believed.

Favourite holes ? 15 &16 are standouts as are 8 & 9. I liked the P5's and the variety therein.

18th ?
It was hard for me to get a visual line on 18. I happened to hit a pretty decent drive (you can see mine and Mike's at the bottom left of the pic) - it left me with a wedge in - that had to go over the tall Cypress on the left which felt a little "overcrowded" IMO. I hit it to about 5 feet - so despite what others think it's a darn good hole  :P Seriously - it's not a long hole and I think it's detractors should take that into consideration before damning it.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 11:50:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing the photos and your thoughts, Kevin.

I really like your first pic. That view of the 16th from behind the clubhouse really gets the goosebumps started.

John

Funny you should say that - it did give me a chill down the spine. I reckon I could spend all day sitting on the CPC balcony overlooking that view....

You forgot to mention that it was windy that day ...

Mike

Indeed it was windy - so much so that many of the flags were wrapped in rubber bands (eg: 13 and 16) given how exposed they were.

Playing at a seaside course for most of my life - I'm used to the wind though - surely you could tell from my ball flight ;)

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 12:34:39 AM »
Thank you Kevin.

What was your favorite hole?

What shocked you most about the course?

How did the inland holes compare to what you thought they would be prior to your round?

What was your favorite par-5?

Did you go for 9?

Kevin, thanks for sharing.  Its fun to hear about people's rounds out there.  For such a revered course, I found the atmosphere very warm and friendly.  The pro shop staff, and head pro Mr. Reamer are all great guys and really friendly.  Everything there is perfect.  I'm glad to hear you loved it, then again I might be worrying about you if you hadn't!  Thanks again for sharing!!

Cheers,
Jordan

ps did you get a chance to try the oatmeal raisin cookies in the shack left of 11?

Jordan

Favourite hole ?

I find it hard to go past # 16 - particulalry after knocking driver onto the back right corner of the green ;D

Shocked me ?
How the fact that 17mile drive literally goes past the front door.

It's hard to comprehend that only 3 holes play along the ocean front. It's amazing when compared to PB when there's 4 through 10 + 18 - that's nearly half it's holes !! Whilst I somewhat like PB - I wonder what Mackenzie could have done to that course.....

Anyway - the inland holes have wonderful topography changes - yes the Ocean holes provides an amazing backdrop but the way Mackenzie has used the white dunes and bunkering I hope my photos show their great visual appeal as well. 6 through 9 is an amazing run of inland holes. He is so good at subtelty it's scary.

Favorite P5 ?
#6 - the drive calls for the draw and the way with which you think it's easy to get home in two but the "hanging lie" makes things exponentially more difficult.

Did you go for 9?
It reminds me so much of #10 RMW to which I never use driver. I use driver most places (and have even done so at #9 at Kingston Heath :P) and had a crack. I play with a draw so pretty much was able to take the right hand side out of play. It's quite narrow and in hindsight I'd probably use an iron instead. The green is so narrow and so quick it's best to some in from the right side.

The staff ?
Agree - are great they make you feel like a member for the day. The pro shop staff were very accommodating.

Of course - it's not like me to pass up an opportunity re: food (as Kevin Reilly will attest to). I grabebd some for the group but for some reason my playing partners didn't want any. I dutifuly obliged in finishing them off for them  ;D

Jordan Wall

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 01:17:21 AM »
Kevin,

Thanks for sharing.

I agree the bunkering and its camo effect are brilliant, as is Mackenzie's ability to produce subtlety.  I don't know if you got a chance to see, but the sixth and eleventh greens are his best uses of subtlety on the course, in my opinion.

Glad to hear about the cookies.  There should never be any leftovers of those guys ;D

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 11:15:16 AM »
What was the condition of the greens?   Did you see any effect of the nemitode?

jonathan_becker

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 12:38:42 PM »
Kevin,

Thanks for the photo tour as well as your other recent tours.  However....this tour, by far, takes the cake as the sexiest!!  ;D  The photo that you took on #9 tee is my favorite of the bunch.

What line did you take off #17 tee and what was your result?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back