News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

The Timeless Charm of Chechessee Creek Club
« on: February 26, 2010, 02:10:22 PM »

Timeless.  To me a fitting description Ran uses in his profile of Chechessee Creek Club here on GCA.  I'm going with that one as well. This place oozes timeless.  

How many places have you played golf where you've used this adjective to describe the golf course?  I'm sure there are many, but for me only four places come to mind that I've been to: Pinehurst (in 1982), Pasatiempo (in 1983), Palmetto GC last fall at the Dixie Cup and last weekend at Chechessee Creek.

I haven't stopped daydreaming about Chechessee Creek since the drive home on Sunday night.  This place is so Cool, and that's cool with a capital C.

Also, I came away from playing the golf course better understanding what it is that Ben Crenshaw is saying when he talks about designing green complexes and his philosophy of 'letting people in'.  The openness of the entrance to the greens was most inviting, but stray a little and you'll pay with an embankment or a bunker now in your way of what looked to be an easy par.

The clubhouse at Chechessee Creek is without a doubt the coolest golf related building I have ever stepped foot in.  I would love to live in that house, or rather copy it and live in it.  I don't have pictures but I'm told many folks feel about the same.

Our hosts couldn't have been more kind in sharing their club with us for a day and I'm happy to say that we'll be returning to do it again sometime soon.  I suppose I was in great shape in the event of any type of dental emergencies out on the golf course as there were three dentists in our group! ;D

One last mention before we head out to the course: the caddies.  The caddies we had were the best caddies I have ever had the pleasure of walking a golf course with.  All three of them were excellent company.  They do a terrific job in the hiring department there at c3.

Let's play golf...

I missed snapping a shot of the 1st tee.  A par 4 with a lot of room to swing away.  372 yds dogleg left where if you're a bomber like our host you can just take it over the trees to end up with a pitch to the green.

Second shot in to the par 4 1st.

Greenside bunker.

Strolling along to the 2nd.

Par 3 2nd. 194 yds.  Long narrow green with countless pin positions.

If this wasn't here you could run your putter all the way up to this green.

Tight lies do make for more fun and creativity.

3 is a cool slight dogleg par 4 with a wetland hazard down the right and bunkers down the left.

Our hosts say that in the summer the grass to right of the green is cut nice and tight where balls misplayed will feed into the little creek.  Awesome!  

4. 408 yds par 4.  I thought of John Mayhugh when I got to this tee as it reminded me of the look of some of the holes in his Swinley Forest thread.  Maybe also because John was supposed to make this trip with us, but work got in the way.  It is a priority for me to bring him along next time.  

One of our hosts and new GCAer with a nice tee shot at 4.

Another of our hosts makes the golf ball hurt.

The shaded bench likely qualifies as an example of the "Give Me Something School" to Anthony.

Bunkering left on 4. Notice that little devil of a bunker just beyond this one.

The right side of 4.

Second shot into the par 5 5th.

Tee shot at 6. 436 yds Par 4.

Cross hazard (looking) left before the dogleg.

Second shot.

Easily one of my favorite holes, the par 3 7th plays along the waters edge with long views of Chechessee Creek.

A look back at the tee. This corner of the property with the forest and the water is really cool.

Another little bunker to spice things up.

A fairly severe false front continues to add flavor to the hole.

From the opposite side.

8. 440 yds. Par 4.  Mac 'Sneaky Long' Plumart takes a rip at it.

Bunker to the right before the fairway begins.

Down the left side of 8.

One of the member cottages tucked back off of the fairway.

9th tee.  At 464 it is the longest par 4.

2nd shot.

I didn't get a picture of the green but it was a fairy long and narrow one with plenty of good pin positions where if you're not close to the hole you'll have some tricky putts.

Back 9 later...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 08:57:17 PM by Eric Smith »

Anthony Gray

Re: The Timeless Charm of Chechessee Creek Club
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 02:20:45 PM »

Nice photos Eric. They told us the miss is always short, which for the average player is not a problem. Awesome isolation with this golfing experience. When wakling into the clbhouse it is so relaxing and peaceful you want to take a nap. The Confidential Guide is a coffee table book. How pure is that? The pro has humerous stories about The CG coming up missing from time to time.

Anthony

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 05:33:19 PM »
Agreed...best clubhouse I have ever been in...great golf get-away feeling.  Wonderful time. 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 05:52:37 PM »

Back nine.

10 is a reachable par 5. 500 yds. Second shot shown.

10 green.  Deep bunkers flank both sides.

11 par 3. 208 yds. Downhill.

The graphic better shows what's going on down there.

This big green easily accepted my high draw in there with the pin cut front left.

A little enclave of member's cabins tucked back along the waterfront.  What fun it must be to have member gatherings and "rough it" ;D for a long weekend back here along the creek.

12. 336 yds. Par 4.  A great little hole.  Carry over the wetlands.  Lion's mouth bunker at the green, with slick and steep dropoffs along the back.

13. 164 yds. Par 3.

14. 404 yds. Par 4.

15. 602 yds. Par 5.  Tons of room on this hole.  I loved being free to unleash the the double double here. (2Wood-2Wood)

camera malfunction on holes 16 & 17

18. 442 yds. Par 4.

...What a place. A day spent at Chechessee Creek is a day well spent indeed.  I hope to return very soon.  Thank you guys!

Alex Miller

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
How was 17? Looks like great fun from the yardage book. Anyone take a rip at it?

Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 06:05:16 PM »
How was 17? Looks like great fun from the yardage book. Anyone take a rip at it?

I did Alex and it was my last full swing of the day as my back was giving me fits. Hit a solid 2 wood pin high that failed to draw back in and rolled down the embankment off to the right of the green.  I think it was playing 245.  ....oops I'm talking about 16.

I did not play 17!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 06:07:52 PM by Eric Smith »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 06:28:13 PM »
No one tried to drive 17, not even big Byron...who hits the ball a mile (I'm guess 300ish maybe 300+ when he wants to).

The green is so severe you only have an area that is 5 yards wide and 10 yards deep to land the ball on and have any shot of holding the green.  Byron hit his approach shot pin high, but missed his 5 yard area and the ball roll completely off the green and left him a tough chip.  I missed the green left and chipped to a few inches, but the ball rolled back and left me a 5 footer for par. 

Shortish par 4, but WICKED green!!  Maybe it is a candidate for the other thread going on here regarding short par 4's.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 06:45:35 PM »
Eric,

Thanks for the spread.  As you know, I love low country golf and CCC looks fabulous.  It's definitely on my list of courses to see.

John_Cullum

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 10:48:07 AM »
That is interesting overseeding on the fairways
Raynor was a hack

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 10:49:35 AM »

What is so interesting about it?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John_Cullum

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 10:52:54 AM »
I have never seen such scant overseeding. I surmise it's done to achieve a certain look
Raynor was a hack

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 10:57:16 AM »
I have seen/heard of a lot of courses reducing the overseeding rate to reduce transition problems in the spring. I don't think its that unusual, at least any more.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 12:24:58 PM »

It wouldnt shock me if Bill Kennedy's rate of seed is just enough to see to definition of the fairway from the tee. Also, the weather in that area made the overseed thinner than what mayhave been wished.
  I alway felt C3 was MUCH more about the ambiance and "coolness" to everything than the course it self. I find the course vastly overrated, but it's true lowcountry feel make most overlook that.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

john_stiles

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 05:24:24 PM »
It has been my good fortune to play Chechessee a few times.

The greens vary in size and shape, from grade level to push up and are the most interesting part of the course.  The various draft sketches for the routing are fun to review in the clubhouse.

The one thing that strikes me at CCC is the use of relatively small features and contours within the greens.  

You might have a small dip or rise but it only affects a limited area.  It takes a few plays to realize this and watch for hole locations.

CCC is blessed by a benevolent and golf savvy owner and a well run clubhouse by the staff.

It is an outpost of fanastic low country golf.

I would agree that  CCC  usually seems to have a low rate of overseed and that has never been a problem for me.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 05:26:11 PM by john_stiles »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 05:36:49 PM »

Nice photos Eric. They told us the miss is always short, which for the average player is not a problem.

Interesting that the advice is to keep misses short, and I assume straight.  That was my observation at Austin Golf Club (also C&C) a few months ago.  Missing sideways brought all kinds of disasters into play since almost every green was sloped and bumped up pretty well.

Chechessee is a beautiful place indeed.  Thanks for the photos, Eric.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 05:59:11 PM »
Anthony N...you are correct the ambiance and coolness of the club was quite something.

Eric Smith

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 09:53:59 PM »
Anthony N...you are correct the ambiance and coolness of the club was quite something.

Mac,

Mr. Nysse is also on record countless times on here stating that Harbour Town is also vastly overrated.  No doubt according to him then our entire weekend was pretty shi**y. ;D (I'm kidding Tony! ;))

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 05:50:31 AM »
Eric

Thanks for the tour.  I think the course looks lovely!  The greens especially look to be quite special.  The more I see of S Carolina golf the more impressed I am.  It seems like one could tour (with connections) for a good few weeks if they want to take in all the hot spots. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 05:53:15 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John_Cullum

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 08:36:19 AM »

It wouldnt shock me if Bill Kennedy's rate of seed is just enough to see to definition of the fairway from the tee.

That would make sense as I see that the tees are not overseeded
Raynor was a hack

Mac Plumart

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 09:34:33 AM »
Eric...

if that was a $hitty weekend, I don't want to have a good one!!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 10:18:57 AM »
Eric...

if that was a $hitty weekend, I don't want to have a good one!!

Mac...What did you say? I'm glad Jayson isn't here to mess things up today.

Anthony

Ben Sims

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 12:58:04 PM »
Anthony,

I hate to even ask the question, but how does the experience compare to our round at Lookout Mountain? 

I am reminded so much of what folks have said about Palmetto when reading about this course.  Low Country southern charm at it's best.  Does it ever feel like C&C are trying to overpower the golfer?  Or is it more of a fun and strategic experience.  I think that's why I gravitate to places like Yeaman's, Lookout, Palmetto, and now apparently, Chechessee. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 01:22:40 PM »
Anthony,

I hate to even ask the question, but how does the experience compare to our round at Lookout Mountain? 

I am reminded so much of what folks have said about Palmetto when reading about this course.  Low Country southern charm at it's best.  Does it ever feel like C&C are trying to overpower the golfer?  Or is it more of a fun and strategic experience.  I think that's why I gravitate to places like Yeaman's, Lookout, Palmetto, and now apparently, Chechessee. 

I think Lookout has more variety. CCC has wonderful isolation and a real nice feel to it. As far as golf it is flat vs hilly. I would think that you would favor LM because of the varirty.

Anthony

Ben Sims

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 01:54:55 PM »
Thanks Anthony.  Good to see you're out and about seeing new courses.  Hope all is well in Cleveland, TN. 

That's one thing that has stuck with me regarding our day at Lookout. Variety.  Even though there were more than 4 or so times we looked at each other and said, "uphill, 150 to the center, blind surface", I still feel like the variety of shots was astounding. 

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 09:27:35 AM »
Thanks for the great pictures and a reminder of how nice a course this is.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back