News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Hodgdon

Re: Inaugural Midwest-GCA.com Event/Cup
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 06:42:52 PM »
I vote for Midwest Mashie as well and I am in in 2011.

I think Lawsonia/Erin Hills and maybe even Wild Horse would be a great combo.

If I see Dana Fry down here at Calusa this year I could ask him to come speak.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Joe Hancock

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 06:58:31 PM »
Count me in. I'll be playing for the Southern Midwest Conference representing the Northeast District. And for any of my opponents, as a show of goodwill and sportsmanship, I always bring 6 golf balls when I play, so there's 5 that you guys can borrow.

Lot's of good options already out there, time to make it happen!

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 07:04:22 PM »
George,
this is an outstanding idea! I would be happy to help you plan it, and would offer up my considerable skills planning the logistics side of golf trips.  Additionally, though some may be bored of the place by the time this event roles around, it goes without saying that I would be happy to host the tournament at Kingsley.  Regardless of where we play however, I'd love to see this event take off, and would be honored to pitch in with time and resources to help you.

Very exciting indeed.  Lost Dunes would indeed be a terrific way to start things off - very generous of you, Tom. Same goes for EH, thanks!

Well done George! See many of you guys in about an hour!

md

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 07:16:22 PM »
George -

I'd be very interested in participating and, to the extent possible, helping you with orgainzing...especially if in Chicago or Northern Michigan.

Will send you a PM on a course possibility in the latter location.

-Andrew

Billsteele

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 07:35:39 PM »
If George pulls it together, I'm there. Angel's Crossing is also only about an hour and a half from either the Warren or Lost Dunes.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 07:45:35 PM »
I would be very interested.  The problem for me is often timing with other family commitments that always come first.  There are a lot of options in Indy as well.  It could be a really good spot as well as Chicago.  I could help someone if they wanted to do it here and probably host an evening at our house. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2010, 07:46:31 PM »

MOM is going to love this.

Keith Buntrock

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 09:02:55 PM »
There's just nothing like playing golf with a group of people that I've only interacted with on the internet. That actually sounds like a lot of the people that end up talking to Chris Hansen on Dateline NBC's To Catch a Predator. ;)

With that said, I'd be in if the site isn't too far from Milwaukee. 

Jim Tang

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 11:07:41 PM »
George -

I would be interested.  Lost Dunes is a fantastic offer.  Thanks Tom.  I live 10 minutes from Black Sheep and loop there in the summers.  27 holes of just pure golf.  Very cool place.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2010, 02:37:19 AM »
George,

Great initiative in getting the ball rolling on this one. I'm already committed to a GCA event for 2010, but would be very interested in the Mid-West Mashie for 2011 and beyond.

TK

George Freeman

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2010, 06:24:03 AM »
Thanks again for all the replies!  This is the type of interest I was hoping to get!

I'll spend more time this weekend organizing all the offers, responding to PMs, etc and hopefully have a good idea of the options for fall 2010 by next week.

Also, it looks like "Midwest Mashie" is the popular choice so far for the name of the event.  Keep the votes and ideas coming!

PS - Great meeting/seeing the Chicago contingent last night at the Erie Cafe.  Thanks again Greg and Jack for throwing it together!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jud_T

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2010, 08:47:19 AM »
Alright, let me throw out an idea as I sit here on the train, having just departed the soon to get raucous I presume Chicagoland GCA event featuring the usual cast of characters, sans the spectacularly reclusive Uncle Ricky. :)

The Downers Grove Muni (the remaining 9 holes from the original Chicago Golf Club). This is such a MUST DO for any real GCA-o-phile...even if it's just to pay homage... Mecca with pins.

Butterfield. New Steve Smyers. This will take some work in terms of appreciative "favor-asks", but it might be doable. Butterfield is close to the Downers Grove Muni.

The Village Links of Glen Ellyn.  Also close.  Never heard of it?  It's the EPICENTER of fast play in Chicago. They literally boot out people (even long term regulars with permanent tee times) who play too slow. Plus, it's a pretty darn good golf course.  Home of Western Open qualifying forever and recently redone.  

Black Sheep. I also think that with an appreciative "favor ask", this might be doable, too.

(BTW, The Honourable Company of Reverse Jans Golfers would be willing to sponsor this event with a case or three of Schlitz...)

Pluses:  all close to MDW and ORD, so flying in and out is easy. Two new courses (Butterfield and Village Links) plus 9 holes from the oldest 18 in America. Plus, Black Sheep, a really great course.

Minuses:    
Butterfield and Black Sheep would take some "favor-asks" from a few guys on this board. I can manage a few, but that's it, and I'd need help after that. It'd take a concerted effort.

Just a thought...

Shiv,

Great finally meeting you last night!  These are all good ideas...Black Sheep is very good, unlike most anything in metro Chicago and Esler deserves more play here. Butterfield would be great post-renovation! Maybe we can get someone to discuss the work as well...(I may be able to help here)...You beat me to Downers Grove! (now I know why you really left early... ;)), I was thinking of putting that up on the 9-hole thread...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tony Weiler

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2010, 11:51:12 AM »
George, great idea.  I'm in ND, so I'm in the geographic area.  Interested, depending of course on where.  Tony

David Royer

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2010, 01:01:08 PM »
As a Dublin, Ohio based newbie, count me in.  Thanks

Jfaspen

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2010, 01:12:53 PM »
Coming from the Novi, MI area.  If the event's in Michigan or anywhere within a reasonable drive, I'd love to come along and meet some midwest GCA members!

Jeff

Chris Flamion

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2010, 01:39:51 PM »
I would plan on attending based on the dates and location.  After last nights dinner I can't wait to play with more of you folks.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2010, 01:41:16 PM »
I'm most likely IN as well.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2010, 02:07:59 PM »
Buda is Sept 17-19. 
Dixie Cup is Oct 22-24. 
Sagebrush is Aug 10-11.

Doing something in the Chicago/Indy area sounds great, but at least some of us are already committed to these other events.  Obviously the more GCA outings there are, the greater the risk of date conflicts. 

If the dates work out, I'll be there.

George Freeman

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2010, 02:16:20 PM »
Buda is Sept 17-19.  
Dixie Cup is Oct 22-24.  
Sagebrush is Aug 10-11.

Doing something in the Chicago/Indy area sounds great, but at least some of us are already committed to these other events.  Obviously the more GCA outings there are, the greater the risk of date conflicts.  

John,

Good point and I'll definitely take that into consideration.  I'm curious as to how many people would plan to do Dixie and the Mashie.

Regradless, a GCA event isn't complete without the Mayhughnator...I hope you can make it!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Richard Choi

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2010, 02:18:38 PM »
Sagebrush is a one time deal scheduled for this year. I don't think you need to worry about that outing for 2011.

George Freeman

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2010, 02:21:05 PM »
Sagebrush is a one time deal scheduled for this year. I don't think you need to worry about that outing for 2011.

Richard,

I think we're going to try for the first event to be this fall.  Sorry for the confusion from my original post.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2010, 02:22:10 PM »
Buda is Sept 17-19. 
Dixie Cup is Oct 22-24. 
Sagebrush is Aug 10-11.

Doing something in the Chicago/Indy area sounds great, but at least some of us are already committed to these other events.  Obviously the more GCA outings there are, the greater the risk of date conflicts. 

Unless I have missed something, Sagebrush is Aug 9-10.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Shane Wright

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2010, 02:41:06 PM »
George -

I would definitely be interested in a 2011 Midwest Mashie.  I'm sure we could get a good one put together in the Twin Cities as well, however, Chicago/Michigan may make the most sense.

There is a pretty strong GCA contingent in the Twin Cities from what I understand and I bet that many would be interested.

Thanks for starting the conversation and I'm happy to help out in any way I can.

Shane

John Mayhugh

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2010, 03:23:15 PM »

Unless I have missed something, Sagebrush is Aug 9-10.

Terribly sorry for the confusion Garland.  I looked at my calendar incorrectly. 

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2010, 06:55:31 PM »
George -

I would definitely be interested in a 2011 Midwest Mashie.  I'm sure we could get a good one put together in the Twin Cities as well, however, Chicago/Michigan may make the most sense.

There is a pretty strong GCA contingent in the Twin Cities from what I understand and I bet that many would be interested.

Thanks for starting the conversation and I'm happy to help out in any way I can.

Shane

As a Twin Cities native I second Shane as I also think it could be a great potential site. My dad just joined Minneapolis Golf Club this past summer and I know Jason is at Oak Ridge, it would take some work I'm sure but if we could get those two courses on board it would be a great Midwest Mashie. Chaska Town Course as a great public and also Legend's in Prior Lake could make a great 3rd course too.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back