News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Freeman

Inaugural Midwest-GCA.com Event/Cup - UPDATE!!!
« on: February 25, 2010, 12:38:29 PM »
I’ve been reading about the amazing times had by all at the various King Putters, Dixie Cups and Buda Cups over the years and could never figure out why a GCA.com event in the Midwest hasn’t materialized (it is the best region of the country after all  ;)).  I am going to attempt to alleviate this problem by organizing a 2011 midwest event.  I would have loved to try to get something on the calendar for 2010, however due to timing constraints, calendars filling up and the like, I am going to shoot for 2011 being the inaugural event (however, if someone wants to take the reins for a 2010 event, be my guest.  I’ll help in any way possible).  

So to start I would like to begin taking suggestions for timing, location, name of the event, etc.

Possibilities

Timing
Any time between May and October I would think would work.  Lots of flexibility here.

Location/Venues
Chicago – Cog Hill #4, Ravisloe and about 1,000 other public options in addition to any private options that arise.  Food and lodging possibilities are endless.

Northwestern Michigan – Many options from a golf standpoint: Belvedere, Arcadia Bluffs, Forest Dunes, Wilderness Valley, High Pointe (fingers crossed) plus a ton more on the public side in addition to any private options that arise.  Traverse City is an excellent home base.

Wisconsin – Lawsonia, Erin Hills, American Club and Blackwolf Run are possibilities

French Lick – Ross & Dye ($$) courses

According to USATourist.com, the Midwest includes Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin, so there are obviously other location options than the few I mentioned above.

Name of event
The Yankee Cup
The Midwest Mashie (somebody offered this up in a thread awhile ago)
The Rust Belt Cup
(Trophy ideas also needed!)

Help in any fashion is welcome/appreciated.  If anyone wants to help with the planning, let me know, otherwise any suggestions about the items above (or anything else) would be great!

My favorite part of this site is getting the opportunity to meet a bunch of really good people who I share a similar passion with.  Events like these only increase those opportunities.  Hopefully we can get an annual tradition started!

Cheers,

George
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:52:44 AM by George Freeman »
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Shawn Arlia

Re: Inaugural Midwest-GCA.com Event/Cup
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 01:04:34 PM »
George, Im in! Thats a great idea. Being a new member that would give me an opportunity to put faces on names of people who post here.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 01:05:18 PM »
I’ve been reading about the amazing times had by all at the various King Putters, Dixie Cups and Buda Cups over the years and could never figure out why a GCA.com event in the Midwest hasn’t materialized (it is the best region of the country after all  ;)).  I am going to attempt to alleviate this problem by organizing a 2011 midwest event.  I would have loved to try to get something on the calendar for 2010, however due to timing constraints, calendars filling up and the like, I am going to shoot for 2011 being the inaugural event (however, if someone wants to take the reins for a 2010 event, be my guest.  I’ll help in any way possible).  

So to start I would like to begin taking suggestions for timing, location, name of the event, etc.

Possibilities

Timing
Any time between May and October I would think would work.  Lots of flexibility here.

Location/Venues
Chicago – Cog Hill #4, Ravisloe and about 1,000 other public options in addition to any private options that arise.  Food and lodging possibilities are endless.

Northwestern Michigan – Many options from a golf standpoint: Belvedere, Arcadia Bluffs, Forest Dunes, Wilderness Valley, High Pointe (fingers crossed) plus a ton more on the public side in addition to any private options that arise.  Traverse City is an excellent home base.

Wisconsin – Lawsonia, Erin Hills, American Club and Blackwolf Run are possibilities

French Lick – Ross & Dye ($$) courses

According to USATourist.com, the Midwest includes Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin, so there are obviously other location options than the few I mentioned above.

Name of event
The Yankee Cup
The Midwest Mashie (somebody offered this up in a thread awhile ago)
The Rust Belt Cup
(Trophy ideas also needed!)

Help in any fashion is welcome/appreciated.  If anyone wants to help with the planning, let me know, otherwise any suggestions about the items above (or anything else) would be great!

My favorite part of this site is getting the opportunity to meet a bunch of really good people who I share a similar passion with.  Events like these only increase those opportunities.  Hopefully we can get an annual tradition started!

Cheers,

George

You won't be sorry for the effort, George.  We started the Dixie Cup in 2004 and had 48 players the first time.  The main reason we had so many was the wonderful deal Cuscowilla gave us.  I would recommend starting off somewhere really convenient and attractively priced to maximize participation.   About 24 seems to work best.   Getting an active committee is also essential so you don't do all the work yourself.

Good luck and hope for big things from the Midwest!

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 01:15:26 PM »
George,

Great Idea...I'm partial to "Midwest Mashie".....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Greg Chambers

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 01:24:32 PM »
How about Ballyneal and Wildhorse as venues?
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 01:26:33 PM »
How about the C.B. Macdonald Cup?
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

jonathan_becker

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 01:57:23 PM »
How about the C.B. Macdonald Cup?

I like it.  :) Considering he was raised in the Chi and the Chi is pretty much the capital of the Midwest. 

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 01:58:16 PM »
Great idea!

Chicago has so many options and is pretty easy to get to from anywhere in the Midwest.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 02:02:17 PM »
High Pointe would be an interesting experience ... pretty rough, though.

Would you guys want to play it at Lost Dunes if I could arrange that?  It's possible I could get them to let a group play two rounds if it was weekday play, or late fall when it gets quiet there.

They aren't even open right now, but I might be able to get a response from them before I head off to Europe in March.  I'm thinking 2010 here.  I've just got to make sure it doesn't conflict with our other big events, one of which is the first weekend of October.

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 02:05:22 PM »
How about the Deep Dish Pizza Pan Invitational???  :)

Nice idea George. Like any other GCA event: if you plan it they will come.

You would need a place that could allow to be taken over on a weekend day, which would actually be pretty tough in Chicago with lottery times galore at many public courses. A way to help in planning with the courses would be to do it in the non-peak season, so either in the spring or fall, with I think October being the better time for more reliable weather and slower tee sheets.

A course like Ravisloe would be a nice spot to play a round or two. You could do something like an optional round on Friday, 36 at Ravisloe on Saturday, then Cog Hill #4 on Sunday morning.

Let me know if you need help planning.
H.P.S.

JC Jones

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 02:05:55 PM »
I could have sworn the Ohio contingent was trying to get a "Midwest Mashie" off the ground this past fall.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

JC Jones

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 02:08:03 PM »

Would you guys want to play it at Lost Dunes if I could arrange that?  It's possible I could get them to let a group play two rounds if it was weekday play, or late fall when it gets quiet there.

They aren't even open right now, but I might be able to get a response from them before I head off to Europe in March.  I'm thinking 2010 here.  I've just got to make sure it doesn't conflict with our other big events, one of which is the first weekend of October.

That would be a huge treat if George and you could work that out.  There are plenty of other options around there that would be great to pair up with.

I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jon Heise

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 02:16:39 PM »
Deep Dish Pizza Pan Invitational

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

I'd be in for sure.  Home game.   ;D
I still like Greywalls better.

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 02:25:06 PM »

Lost Dunes would be awesome, particularly for the guys who haven't seen it.  We could throw in the Warren Course, the Mines, Ravisloe, Cog Hill or maybe even Harrison Hills (?)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:26:39 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

George Freeman

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 02:39:46 PM »
Thanks for all the responses!

Thank you Tom for the offer!  I will PM you in the next couple days to discuss the possibility of a fall outing at Lost Dunes (2010).

Ideas for 2011 still welcome!

Cheers
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 02:42:50 PM »

Lost Dunes would be awesome, particularly for the guys who haven't seen it.  We could throw in the Warren Course, the Mines, Ravisloe, Cog Hill or maybe even Harrison Hills (?)

Nice idea on the Warren Course, and a Lost Dunes outing would be fantastic.

The New Buffalo area is pretty great. And that time of year it's somewhat cleared out of vacationers...only downside to that is that Redamaks is closed!

Mid-October is a nice time to play golf in the area, but weather can either be 80* and humid or 40* and rain.
H.P.S.

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 02:48:45 PM »
Redamak's is open till 10/25! 

PCCraig

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 02:50:17 PM »
Redamak's is open till 10/25!  

Ok, we can now proceed with the New Buffalo area.  ;D  ;)
H.P.S.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 02:55:58 PM »
There's an alternative for this year, for those interested in expanding their definitions of Midwest all the way out here in Nebraska.

The Prairie Club is considering arranging at least one GCA focused outing, late in the summer. Naturally it will include the architects, so depending on schedule's, there could be two separate dates.

The thinking is if there are two different events, one would likely be mid August and one Mid Sept. That should give some flexibility on what works best for everyone on travel dates.

For those who have not yet been to the Sand Hills region, this could be your lucky year.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 02:56:27 PM »
Yes, I can still offer an old mashie as a trophy.  Just let me klnow.  In fact, if there is someone coming from the Chicago area to Buda I can hand over the club there.  To sort of enhance ythe club it is always possible to hang little thin medals off it to commerate the club and possibly winner each year.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

George Freeman

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 03:04:27 PM »
Yes, I can still offer an old mashie as a trophy.  Just let me klnow.  In fact, if there is someone coming from the Chicago area to Buda I can hand over the club there.  To sort of enhance ythe club it is always possible to hang little thin medals off it to commerate the club and possibly winner each year.  

Ciao

Sean,

Thanks for the generous offer!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Ken Fry

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 03:06:38 PM »
George,

Thanks for pushing this idea.  I would definitely be in.  I could help if venues are from New Buffalo to South Bend area.  Let me know.  Lost Dunes would be outstanding.

Ken

Mark Smolens

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 04:23:02 PM »
Several years ago Ken Fry and I played a Shivas Irons Society outing at Lost Dunes and the Dunes Club (pretty nice couple of days of golf -- several of us then drove up to the Lansing area to play Eagle Eye and Hawk Hollow).  The accommodations at Lost Dunes are extremely nice, and probably affordable so long as people wouldn't insist on single rooms.  The four bedroom suites have 2 king sized beds in each room.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 05:06:03 PM »
George,

This sounds like a great idea, and I would love to help you out...Drop me a line!

Midwest Mashie Sounds great as well!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Mike Wagner

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 06:27:53 PM »
George,

If you want to throw Erin Hills in the mix, I can make all the arrangements (16 can stay on site).  2011 should be great timing with the Amateur.

Wags

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back