News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Cirba

who added all the ghastly bunkering to Pebble Beach?
« on: February 12, 2010, 10:48:37 PM »
oh lord...why in the world would anyone have done that?

Yikes.

Mac Plumart

Re: who added all the ghastly bunkering to Pebble Beach?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:50:56 PM »
Obviously, to let the course evolve and keep in step with the times. :)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 10:55:05 PM »
I feel like Rip Van Winkle.

Many here from the west coast rightfully screamed with Fazio's work at Riviera, but have I missed it or have these garish changes to PB gone without comment, much less protest?

They make Tom Fazio look like Dr. Mackenzie.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 11:09:34 PM »
On today's telecast they seemed to give credit to Palmer for the "small changes" to the course...

Mike Cirba

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 11:14:29 PM »
egads, Phil.

I love Arnie and all but horrid is horrid.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 06:36:54 AM by Mike Cirba »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 11:07:08 AM »
Mike, There have been reports and the subsequent incredulity by some.

My suspicions are that these changes were made to ensure Pebble's rotation for the open. At least that's their thinking. In the case of the third hole, it's obvious to anyone, (But RJ Harper and Arnie Palmer) that the added bunkers in the hillside, do NOT make the hole more difficult, which was their desire, but, in reality, easier. Hitting that green from that position in the rough was as hard a shot as one could muster. The added sand bunker has removed the need to be accurate on distance off the tee. Hitting the green from manicured sand adds spin to the ball removing the likely hood of going through the green which brings OB into play.

The 15th hole is an abomination.

The only decent change I can see is the removal of trees along the cove to the right side of the 6th hole.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Cirba

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 11:10:15 AM »
Adam,

Thanks...I kind of recall something along those lines by you, but my memory isn't what it used to be.  ;)

The second bunker on 18 is another doozy.   Sheesh.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 12:21:11 PM »
Mike, I suspect the misconception that more bunkers means more difficult is at the root.

Doesn't the formula for rating slope perpetuate this misnomer? 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Cirba

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 12:22:47 PM »
Mike, I suspect the misconception that more bunkers means more difficult is at the root.

Probably, but as you know, for top-level players, most fairway bunkers are places of refuge and clean, flat lies.

mike_beene

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 10:22:28 PM »
But the poor guys can't lift,clean and place in the bunkers. You were thinking they were using Pebble to play golf,so I understand the confusion.

Bob Harris

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 09:27:46 AM »

No,  I don't have the exact numbers, but if you eliminated every bunker on the course, the rating from the Blue Tees, 73.8, would be still be over 73.0, closer to 73.5.

astavrides

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 12:27:52 PM »
I thought bunkers affected slope much more than rating.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 04:30:23 PM »
Just to make the discussion interesting, I am going to toss this out; I like the re-configuring of the left-side fairway-length bunker at 18.

But yeah, otherwise, it is all a festival of lost-sheep bunkers, all by themselves in long grass, isolated from every single fairway and green.  I was imagining how somebody could play Pebble, hit it into about 16 of the bunkers, and shoot par.

TEPaul

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 04:36:12 PM »
I know how to fix this mess. Just make all the fairways sand surfaces and all the interiors of the bunkers beautiful bent grass turf! As for the rough----ah, aaah, well, give me a week or two; I'll come up with something appropriate.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 04:52:29 PM »
My friend...that is it...that is the breakthrough we've all been looking for in golf course architecture.  Sand fairways and grass bunkers!!!  Who says everythings already been done.  In fact, I think it will re-define the term target golf!!

Nice work!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 05:01:48 PM »
Just to make the discussion interesting, I am going to toss this out; I like the re-configuring of the left-side fairway-length bunker at 18.

But yeah, otherwise, it is all a festival of lost-sheep bunkers, all by themselves in long grass, isolated from every single fairway and green.  I was imagining how somebody could play Pebble, hit it into about 16 of the bunkers, and shoot par.

Chuck, I was unaware of any change to the left side bunker. How was it re-configured?
The issue I see is with the new one past the trees in the right rough.

Brian Freeman

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 05:04:57 PM »
Forget the bunkering, what about the 14th green?  Only thing that hole is missing today is a windmill.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 05:48:14 PM »
I thought bunkers affected slope much more than rating.

You are correct I believe the only bunkers that reallly effect rating are cross bunkers that take driver out of the scratch players hands.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

JohnV

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 05:56:28 PM »
If there are no fairway bunkers on a hole in the landing zones for the scratch player one point is subtracted from the bunker rating for the scratch player. If there are no FW bunkers at all one is subtracted for the bogey player. That presumes that there are greenside bunkers.  If not no bunkers = 0. Only FW bunkers =1.

Also bunkers in general are rated tougher for bogey holders

Adam Clayman

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 06:30:27 PM »
Forget the bunkering, what about the 14th green?  Only thing that hole is missing today is a windmill.

Do you know who designed that green?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back