News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

"I'm trying to make myself less attractive"
« on: February 09, 2010, 11:14:02 AM »

Love this line from Dan In Real LIfe.

Is there a trend for less manicured courses now?

When did the overly manicured look start?

What feels more like golf...the spotless resort course or the rough natural course?

Has the look of your home course changed over the past couple of years?

Discuss....

Anthonty

Garland Bayley

Re: "I'm trying to make myself less attractive"
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:29:08 AM »
And here I thought this was going to be about Anthony's overeating problem.
 :-\
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike_Young

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:44:53 AM »
Where r u going with this?  Making yourself less attractive?  Do you consider bikini waxing a minimalist act or manicuring?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

john_stiles

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 11:57:46 AM »

There is still very much a strong desire to wax and manicure the 'course' IMO.

Due to a drop in golf, tighter course budgets, poor economy and such,  much more is now  'less manicured.'

But the 'manicure' will come back when membership rolls and budgets get a bit larger.

Golf courses could be less manicured for many years to come !   

'More natural' areas at the golf course is my prediction in short term.

While everything at the Polo Lounge will probably be manicured.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 11:57:53 AM »

My home course looks much less narcissistic than it did 3 years ago. In my mind for the better. Maybe budget cuts have added to a more natural course.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 12:01:26 PM »

I visited a couple of resort courses in the Dominican Republic a few months ago. One had native areas that were natural and the course just had a better feel to it than one that was highly visable. Image isn't everything.

ARG

Ron Csigo

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 12:10:16 PM »
Would it also depend on the type of course one is playing?  A resort or tree lined course would look more appealing if it is properly manicured.  Meanwhile, a links course might look more appealing in its natural, "less attractive" state.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 12:14:58 PM »

But has the the look of golf changed?

Anthony

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 12:27:11 PM »
Ron, Good point. There's nothing more oxymoronic than a manicured links course.

Melvyn....?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 01:08:43 PM »
I can confirm that every course in the northeast looks especially unattractive at the present.  I would propose that any de-glamorization is directly tied to funding.  Golf course owners (for the most part), like the paying public, like glamor.  In a private club setting, I would imagine that the charismatic leaders sway the day.  If they say "unglamorous", such it is.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 01:31:19 PM »

Adam

Check out the following site link http://www.warkworthgolfclub.com/Course.html to show how dressed a course should be IMHO

Melvyn

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 01:57:53 PM »
I can confirm that every course in the northeast looks especially unattractive at the present.  I would propose that any de-glamorization is directly tied to funding.  Golf course owners (for the most part), like the paying public, like glamor.  In a private club setting, I would imagine that the charismatic leaders sway the day.  If they say "unglamorous", such it is.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I certainly like a less manicured look. Some of those that want manicured, want what they call fair, by which they mean more predictable. A club champion wants all grass tufts under the trees rounduped so he can have "consistent" (his word) lies. The local hack wants the tuft of grass, because when his ball comes up against it he thinks "cool, let's see what I can do with this."

Sounds to me like "every course in the northeast" is looking better and better to me!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Thomas McQuillan

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 05:34:28 PM »
Making yourself less attractive implies that you were attractive in the first place ;D ;D. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Not that i can confirm this but i think that the over-manicuring of courses kicked off with the showing of the masters on colour TV. those flowers and shades of green entranced green committees everywhere.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 05:38:42 PM »

I suppose it all depends if you want to play Golf or Snooker. If Snooker then I now understand this 5- 6 hours for a round of 18 holes.

Melvyn

Anthony Gray

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 08:14:24 AM »
Making yourself less attractive implies that you were attractive in the first place ;D ;D. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Not that i can confirm this but i think that the over-manicuring of courses kicked off with the showing of the masters on colour TV. those flowers and shades of green entranced green committees everywhere.

Looking foward to more of this. Welcome to the site Thomas.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back