News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Starting Mon, 2/8 - Get to know JC Jones
« on: February 08, 2010, 10:13:34 AM »
Apologies for not getting this up sooner - getting 2 feet of snow will slow anyone down - but JC has graciously agreed to do a thread.

JC is not an industry guy, but he has been putting up some of the best commentary threads in recent months, which have really gotten my attention. His recent thread on Seminole drew much excellent discussion. I'm hoping he plays Shinney, Oakmont, Merion, etc., soon because I really enjoy reading his thoughts, which always go beyond "I hit a wedge into this long par 4"...

In case you missed it, here is the Seminole thread: Seminole

Please welcome JC with some thoughtful questions.

-----

On deck: Philippe Binette

5 most recent:

Mike Clayton

Steve Curry

Troy Alderson

Aidan Bradley

John Vander Borght

Full list:

Full list of GTK participants
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 10:15:11 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Anthony Gray

Re: Starting Mon, 2/8 - Get to know JC Jones
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 10:15:23 AM »

THis site will never be the same.Somebody please wake up Joe Hancock.

Anthony

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 11:02:17 AM »
Standard questions apply:

What brought you to golf?

Golf course architecture?

This site?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JC Jones

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 11:30:24 AM »

THis site will never be the same.Somebody please wake up Joe Hancock.

Anthony

He's a heavy sleeper, try sharing a hotel room with him.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

JC Jones

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 11:43:04 AM »
Standard questions apply:

What brought you to golf?

My older brother, who is 13 years older than me, taught me the game.  You'd never know it though because we play a very different game (this is due entirely to my hard-headedness and unwillingness to follow directions).  When I was 7 he started taking me to the driving range, cut down some clubs for me and really did a great job giving me the fundamentals.  I still remember the time, I was probably around 9 or 10, we were at the driving range and he was trying to tell me to slow my swing down, well it didn't work and I sent my cut down persimmon 3 wood flying into the middle of the range because I swung so hard I couldn't hold on.  Poor guy had to get everyone to stop hitting so he could go get it for me.  From there I began caddying at age 12, slowly worked my way through driving the range picker, cleaning carts, being a bag boy, working in the pro shop, being a starter and my last job in the industry was selling clubs for a local retail shop.

Golf course architecture?

Tom Doak.  My brother married a Traverse City girl so he took me up there several times while he was teaching me the game.  We always played High Pointe.  Even at the age of 12 or 13 I recognized that it was different from the courses I usually played.  For whatever reason, I was curious about how courses got built.  I found The Anatomy at a local bookstore and read the entire thing multiple times.  After that I began playing competitive golf at the high school level and even a few local amateur tourneys while in college and I didn't really get into it much.  I still had the sense of what I liked or disliked but had no curiosity for why.  The reason why I always say Tom Doak is because my second love for architecture came after a trip to Bandon in 2004.  Pac Dunes blew me away and I again was curious.  I kept this curiosity at bay for the next few years as I finished law school and began practicing in Washington but a move back to Michigan and a subsequent round up north at High Pointe brought it all back.  Shortly thereafter I joined this site, played Kingsley Club and Crytal Downs and have been obsessed ever since.

This site?

I can't remember exactly how I found it though it was likely due to a search for Crystal Downs on the internet.  What kept me here is the content, quality of the posts and that it satisfied my curiosity for things like history and why courses are built.  I am thankful as I have met some great people on this site, learned a lot, am continually learning and continually meeting great people.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 11:44:41 AM »
My standard question:  one course, and only one course, for the rest of your life -- what do you pick, and why?

Mike Benham

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 11:46:09 AM »

Tell us about the J and the C ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

JC Jones

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 11:53:22 AM »
My standard question:  one course, and only one course, for the rest of your life -- what do you pick, and why?

Carl, I knew this question was coming :)

I haven't played many "top" courses, I think the list is something like:

Crystal Downs
Kingsley Club
Seminole
Pac Dunes
Bandon Dunes

I've walked the Old Course during the 2000 Open, walked Valderamma during the 1999 Amex event there and I think that is about it.  That being said, it is going to be hard, near impossible for me to ever say anything other than Crystal Downs.

Not only do I love the course and learn something every time I play it, but I learn things just reflecting on it and looking at pictures.  Couple that with the fact that I've been going to northern Michigan in the summer my entire life and there is no place I'd rather be.  I stood on the 9th green this summer and looked out over the front 9 with the view of Crystal Lake and I said to myself, "I've been all over the country, all over western Europe and there is still no better view I've ever seen."  Obviously that is going to be unique to me, but it has to do with where I'm from and where I love to be.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 11:58:16 AM »
I've never been to Crystal Downs, but it certainly sounds special.

What took you to Florida?

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 11:58:29 AM »

Tell us about the J and the C ...

Jason and Carl.  I wanted to use my initials like Urbina does and so most people from the site call me JC.  My mother and my wife call me Jason, my buddies call me Jones or Jonesy.  

JC Jones

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 12:00:16 PM »
I've never been to Crystal Downs, but it certainly sounds special.

What took you to Florida?

Work.  I'm a lawyer turned teacher and I teach at a law school down here.  You never know where the road may take you though :)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 12:13:55 PM »
  Jayson,

Ages of your children?

Has Rich Rodriguez been good for MSU?

Are you glad State is not going to change teir helmets now?

Any oversees golf?

Anthony

jonathan_becker

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 12:25:45 PM »
Hey JC,

Do you have a course overseas that you want to play above all other international courses?  If not, name your top 3 that you want to see.

In your opinion, will Jeff "The Smoker" Smoker ever get back into the NFL?  ;D

Thanks

JC Jones

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 03:15:16 PM »
 Jayson,

Ages of your children?

5, 2, and 1

Has Rich Rodriguez been good for MSU?

Immensley.  I hope he stays for a long time.  What is great is the insecurity UM fans because he is far from a traditional coach at UM.  They feel this weird desire to defend his every move.  He did get a good recruiting class this year though so maybe he'll turn it around.

Are you glad State is not going to change teir helmets now?

It wasn't just a helmet change, it was a logo change.  The goal of the plan, as I understand it is to unify the brand (as the business people say).  What that means is to make sure uniform colors, logos, etc. are the same for everything.  You'd be surprised but there are multiple shades of green being used at MSU.  This is largely due to the fact that, until this year, Nike only sponsored the big sports.  Now that Nike is a top to bottom sponsor, they are going to make sure everything is uniform (pun intended), throughout.  Part of this plan involved a new logo.  So, on one hand I am supportive of an effort to make all the uniforms and colors consistent throughout, but on the other, I'm tired of seeing so many changes.  We've had this version of the Spartan Head since 1979, I think we should keep it.

Any oversees golf?

Anthony

I've played a bunch in the south of Spain, no courses of note, however.

JC Jones

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 03:16:39 PM »
Hey JC,

Do you have a course overseas that you want to play above all other international courses?  If not, name your top 3 that you want to see.

St. Andrews, for obvious reasons. 

In your opinion, will Jeff "The Smoker" Smoker ever get back into the NFL?  ;D

Thanks

No.  Thankfully.

Eric Smith

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 03:48:57 PM »
Jason,

When you went to Bandon, what were your expectations re: the golf courses?  Was it the first time you'd played on that type of turf?  If so, how did your game adapt to the running golf balls?  Did you play Trails?

Was playing Greywalls with Mike Devries cool or what??  Did you goob out at first and stutter as you spoke or were you cool as a cucumber?  Would you mind recounting how you got the D.B.S. moniker from Mike D?

Do you have a sandy soil site near your hometown in Michigan that you think would be great for a golf course?

Why does inexpensive chinese buffet food inspire you to get the most out of your driver? ;D

Why did you let Bill McBride down on the back 9 at Palmetto?

Any good golf trips coming up?

Glad you're the GTK guest this week...

Smitty

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 04:49:32 PM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 10:54:54 AM by Bill_McBride »

JC Jones

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 04:58:53 PM »
Jason,

When you went to Bandon, what were your expectations re: the golf courses?  Was it the first time you'd played on that type of turf?  If so, how did your game adapt to the running golf balls?  Did you play Trails?

My expectation was that it was going to be the greatest place I'd ever played golf.  It exceeded those expectations.  Yes, it was the first I'd played of that turf.  My game adapted by me using the putter from anywhere 80 yards and in.  At the time, only a preview of 10 holes at Trails was open.  I saw a few holes but did not play.

Was playing Greywalls with Mike Devries cool or what??  Did you goob out at first and stutter as you spoke or were you cool as a cucumber?  Would you mind recounting how you got the D.B.S. moniker from Mike D?

Playing Greywalls with Mike was very cool.  He is a total class act, very patient with stupid questions and a fun guy to play golf with (despite the fact that he begs for strokes like no man I've ever seen ;))  

You know me, I'm always cool.

Its pretty simple really.  As you know, I am capable of hitting some of the worst and some of the greatest shots you've ever seen.  On this particular hole, the 5th at Greywalls, I hit a hybrid about 60 yards right into the woods.  We heard it make contact, solidly with 2 trees (Double Barky).  Riding up the hole with Mike, we noticed my ball sitting on some loose rocks next to the cart path about 150 yards out, but still in the trees.  Being the gunslinger that I am, I grabbed my 8 iron, swung with my eyes closed (Mike swears he saw a spark as I made contact with the rocks), the ball shot out, through the trees and landed about 20 feet right of the pin.  I thought it went further right and hit the giant rock wall but Mike never thought so.  From there I left my 20 foot putt about 13 feet short because I have a terrible case of the yips.  Then I proceeded to ram the 13 footer in for a par, net birdie and steal the hole for the good guys.  2 trees and 1 spark = Double Barky Sparky.

Do you have a sandy soil site near your hometown in Michigan that you think would be great for a golf course?

In East Lansing?  Nope, its all muck.

Why does inexpensive chinese buffet food inspire you to get the most out of your driver? ;D

I've played a lot of golf in my life either drunk or hungover, what better for those two situations than cheap chinese.  I guess they call that muscle memory.

Why did you let Bill McBride down on the back 9 at Palmetto?

Same reason he let me down on the front. ;)

Any good golf trips coming up?

I've got a great one in 2 weeks, Carolina with Ed Oden and Harbour Town with with some hack and hopefully, Mayhugh.  Of course I play more golf with Mayhugh than I do anyone else so I don't know if we can call the latter half "good" per se.  Looking forward to meeting Ed to get the lowdown on all the great stuff they've done at Carolina, hopefully the weather turns out.  

Glad you're the GTK guest this week...

Smitty

Me too, although I think George has literally exhausted all options if he is forced to turn to me.

George Pazin

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
...although I think George has literally exhausted all options if he is forced to turn to me.

Not

even

close

:)

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 05:22:31 PM »
Jason-

What's your favorite hole at Seminole?

What course do you have on the schedule in 2010 are you most looking forward to playing?

I couldn't have been happier about shooting 83 in Jones-Hodgdon III but yet I still lost to your 89. Are you really going to ask for 5 a side in J-H IV and say your game only rises to the occasion on world class courses and when you smell pu pu platters?

Do you have any other siblings besides your brother?

Do you think Kobe's odometer and myriad injuries are going to be the reason the Lakers don't repeat this year?

Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Jon Heise

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 05:51:19 PM »
This site?

I can't remember exactly how I found it though it was likely due to a search for Crystal Downs on the internet.

Me too, cool!

What's your favorite hole at Crystal? 
Why is it your #1, since I know you've got a strong courses played resume?
Best round ever?
Can you ever forgive me for liking Greywalls better than Crystal?
I still like Greywalls better.

JC Jones

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 07:22:27 PM »
Jason-

What's your favorite hole at Seminole?

It's hard to pick just one as there were so many that I found to be both strategically interesting and fun.  If I had to pick one, I'd probably say the 15th.  The irony being I hate water on golf courses.

What course do you have on the schedule in 2010 are you most looking forward to playing?

Well, I only have 3 courses "officially" on the schedule (Carolina GC, Harbour Town and Kingsley Club), I have some great possibilities though.  So of those three, I'd have to say Harbour Town, just to see it.  Of the possible options, assuming schedules align, Merion.

I couldn't have been happier about shooting 83 in Jones-Hodgdon III but yet I still lost to your 89. Are you really going to ask for 5 a side in J-H IV and say your game only rises to the occasion on world class courses and when you smell pu pu platters?

I was planning on asking for 6 a side. 

Do you have any other siblings besides your brother?

2 sisters.

Do you think Kobe's odometer and myriad injuries are going to be the reason the Lakers don't repeat this year?

I refuse to answer based upon a failed premise. 

JC Jones

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 07:30:08 PM »

This site?

I can't remember exactly how I found it though it was likely due to a search for Crystal Downs on the internet.

Me too, cool!

What's your favorite hole at Crystal? 

I think the best hole is #8, I think my favorite hole is one of #6, 9, 14 or 17.

Why is it your #1, since I know you've got a strong courses played resume?

For many of the reasons I posted above as to why it would be my one and only for ever and ever.  It is the best course I've ever seen.  It combines strategy, difficulty, fun, atmosphere and location unlike any course I've seen or played.

Best round ever?

Back in my "prime" I was around a 2 handicap.  During that time I shot two rounds under par.  One was at Walnut Hills CC in East Lansing the day after the LPGA tournament (71), the other was at the Ross Memorial course at Boyne Highlands (71).  My putting has always been really bad and therefore I've never been able to go real low.  For 9 hole rounds, I think my best was a 33.  Now a days though, I'm happy to shoot in the 80s. 

Can you ever forgive me for liking Greywalls better than Crystal?

It's not so much forgiveness I am concerned about as a general question over your mental stability.  Then again, you also like The Grande and Moose Ridge, so that says something of your opinions ;) ;D

Joe Hancock

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 08:48:41 PM »
Well good golly......

So....what makes golf fun for you?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 08:55:05 PM »
Jason-

What is your favorite piece of golf memorabilia?

Did you enjoy your time in the golf retail business? What was your favorite part of the biz?

Does your wife enjoy GCA like mine does?

Without talking about the weather what's your favorite part of living in Naples?

Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back