News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Tiger at Accenture ?
« on: February 05, 2010, 01:01:06 PM »
This has been circulating -- word came from an Aussie media source and then picked up by the NY Daily News that Tiger has plans to reappear on the pro golf scene with an appearance at the Accenture Match Play event (Feb 17-21).

Interesting ...

Tom Birkert

Re: Tiger at Accenture ?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 01:04:58 PM »
Unlikely in my opinion.

Accenture dropped him. Why should he give them the publicity?

I would think either Bay Hill or Doral would be a much more logical comeback choice.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 01:11:13 PM »
I heard this as well.  It fits.  It makes sense to show up in this type of venue....very mellow...won't be a circus...match play...perfect.

With regards to Accenture (and any other sponsors), he may feel like he owes them something.  Either way, it's secondary to just playing.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 01:16:45 PM »
I think it would be a good move to show up at an event sponsored by someone who dropped him.  It is kind of a tacit acknowledgment that he let them down, and he harbours no ill will toward them.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 01:38:44 PM »
If this is true his 'hiatus' basically turned out to be one event - San Diego.  He hasn't played LA or Pebble in years.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 01:50:48 PM »

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 01:58:33 PM »
So he just spent 3 weeks in sex rehab and how many weeks before in hiding...none of which included playing or practicing golf.

There is no way in hell he's going to show up to a world match play event cold and rusty and having to deal with the hoards of press at the match play.

I bet he plays in the Masters. The media and "patrons" will be far more gentle...because if they aren't they be kicked out...and TMZ probably wont be granted a press pass for the event. It will also give him a month or so to warm up.
H.P.S.

Jud_T

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 02:15:32 PM »
What if he shows up at the match play having not picked up a club for 2 1/2 months and wins the thing?!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 02:28:41 PM »
What if he shows up at the match play having not picked up a club for 2 1/2 months and wins the thing?!

He could maybe do that under normal circumstances...however with his current mental status I highly doubt it.
H.P.S.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 02:33:38 PM »
Tiger has apparently read "The Urban Myer Guide To Sabbaticals."

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Kenny Baer

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 02:50:02 PM »
No one knows his mental status and certainly no one knows how or if it is going to affect his game.  

Anyone who doubts what this guy can do with golf clubs......I would have to ask why?

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:52:02 PM by Kenny Baer »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 03:22:46 PM »
I would be surprised if he does play, but not shocked.

It would probably be a good move on many levels.  He could just come out and say, "I really missed playing golf, and felt I needed to be out here," and win back 20% of the fans right there.

C. Squier

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 03:28:28 PM »
I don't care when he comes back as long as he's in tip-top shape to wax the field at St. Andrews.

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 03:32:42 PM »
The flip side to the concerns over all the additional pressure on him is that he has that much more to play for and prove.  Has anyone ever been better in the clutch consistently on a golf course?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 04:05:12 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 03:54:46 PM »
I don't care when he comes back as long as he's in tip-top shape to wax the field at St. Andrews.

The Claret Jug engraver might as well just get started on that one.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 03:55:44 PM »
I would be very surprised if this happens, but a few things make it seem possible.

A)  Even though Accenture dropped him, I don't know if that pres release read "forever & ever."  And if he wants to start rehabbing his image with former sponsors (i.e. potential future sponsors), showing up to help their event would be a good starting point.  Especially in an event where Accenture's other main draw (Phil) has already withdrawn.

B)  If my game is rusty, I'd rather play Match Play than Stroke Play.  I'd rather try to beat one guy at a time than have to compete against an entire field.

C)  After a 6 weeks of a "Tiger-less" tour, the viewing public will be primed for the "Thank God You're Here" reaction, especially if Phil's not there

D) The first event will be a circus - and even though the Masters may be more controlled (from a press standpoint), I think he may want the initial experience to be done with before he gets to Augusta.

Hope I didn't regurgitate the article - I just added some comments off the top of my head before following the link.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 04:30:02 PM »
Don't forget he also chose the match play last year to make his comeback after knee surgery.  He's done it before, why not again?

rboyce

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 05:01:45 PM »
Go to the Accenture. Shed some tears so everyone gets off his back. Lose first round. Go home and practice. Everything back to normal. Win the Stripper Slam. More endorsements than ever. Story over.

Tiger was probably hitting thousands of balls into a net in the basement of the rehab center.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 06:18:40 PM »
Tiger has apparently read "The Urban Myer Guide To Sabbaticals."

Bogey

Dripping orange............. ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 06:19:03 PM »
My, such a cynical group!!   ;D

I'm still waiting to see anyone post a link from a reputable source.  Because as of now, its just all hearsay gossipy rumor.

JSlonis

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 06:49:48 PM »
I don't think anyone is remotely fit to speculate on his mental status, past or current.  Heck, he apparently has been living a circus of a private life for the past several years and he kept winning tournaments at an unprecedented pace.  Who knows what's next?

Craig Sweet

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 07:01:08 PM »
Will a Tiger off the women now go on to win another 14 majors?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 07:39:21 PM »
Will a Tiger off the women now go on to win another 14 majors?

You don't think he needed all those "distractions" to keep his concentration on the course?  ??? ::)

JSlonis

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 09:05:27 PM »
It's been reported in a few sports outlets that a source closer to Tiger thought it would be highly unlikely to see Tiger at the Accenture.  This was in response to the speculation coming from the Australian article.

Bill Rocco

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2010, 09:53:10 AM »
I believe one of the pros said it this week but I will propose the question to you guys...don't you think Tiger should have a press conference? I do not think a golf tournament is a good place to address this issue (not like a press conference is going to make it go away but it would at least answer questions).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back