News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Starting Fri., 1/22 - Get To Know Aidan Bradley
« on: January 21, 2010, 01:40:16 PM »
!!!

Nothing I can really add to that.

Aidan has indicated that the weather has made him available. :)

Side note: I usually try not to have 2 threads running at once, but since January and February are typically slow, I am going to experiment with having a couple up at a time. I figured John and Aidan were good simultaneous candidates because each is so strong he won't have trouble keeping his thread afloat.

Top rules guy and top photographer, tough to top either, which is why I'm not throwing anyone else to the wolves...till next week.

:)

-----

On Deck: Troy Alderson

5 most recent participants:

John Vander Borght

Tony Muldoon

Andrew Summerell

Charlie Goerges

Joe Hancock

Full list:

Full list of GTK participants
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

George Pazin

Re: Starting Fri., 1/22 - Get To Know Aidan Bradley
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 02:25:25 PM »
Standard questions apply:

What brought you to golf?

Golf course architecture?

This website?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 02:34:09 PM »
Aidan,
I firmly believe that truly great human beings make us appreciate our own shortcomings by gently exposing we lesser mortals to their easy genius. Therefore, how does it feel to be the photographic equivalent of Tiger Woods??? ;D (without the extra-curricular activities, natch!)

Only one Q:
Which Course (if there is only one) gave you the most pleasure/excitement/satisfaction as BOTH a Playing AND a Snapping experience, and why?

best,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 04:06:50 PM »

This website?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 04:24:22 PM »
Hi Aidan,

Why is there an entry for Augusta National in the course list of your website, but when you click on the link, it says not found?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 04:32:28 PM »
Ooooppss, sorry, a little trigger happy.

I have decided to take a break from building the Ark and answer a few questions before I return to water sealing my escape craft. It's amazing, a little rain here and everyone goes nuts.

As a young boy growing up in Ireland I played lots of sports. Pitch & putt, soccer, rugby, tennis, conker's, marbles, etc. I didn't become passionate about golf until my mid 30's. If you are curious as to how I became involved with photographing golf courses you may find the attached article on Cybergolf.com to be of some help.

http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/the_genesis_of_a_golf_course_photographer

Learning about golf course architecture is a natural extension of my day job. It is a work in progress.

This website?

Three years ago my web guru alerted me to the fact that someone was using one of my images without permission (on this site). One of the only times that I was happy that someone had "borrowed" one of my images as it brought me this wonderful forum.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 04:41:16 PM »

This website?

I thought this was a clever way of answering "Patrick Mucci".

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 04:41:54 PM »
Why is there an entry for Augusta National in the course list of your website, but when you click on the link, it says not found?

Garland,

I have had the good fortune to be invited to Augusta four times where I created some images that were used in the Official Masters Journal. As an official photographer at Augusta you are/were required to sign a contract which states that you will not make the images available for commercial use. That is why you will not see any of the images on my site. No point teasing people when you cannot follow through.

Aidan.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 04:56:26 PM »

What is your favorite golf course to play?

How often do you play golf?

Why is a large format camera better for golf course photos?

Film or digital?

Of the course owners you have met, which one do you think was the most interesting?

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 04:57:37 PM »
Therefore, how does it feel to be the photographic equivalent of Tiger Woods???

Marty, you really are a silly boy. I consider myself very lucky to be one of a small group of visual road warriors (male & female) who travel far and wide photographing grass. I just want to give myself a chance on the back nine on Sunday!

Which Course (if there is only one) gave you the most pleasure/excitement/satisfaction as BOTH a Playing AND a Snapping experience, and why?

That is too difficult a question to answer for many different reasons. Who was you favourite ex girlfriend? What is you favourite Single Malt? However I will toss you a bone and say Jasper. It is a wonderful amphitheatre within which to indulge one of your passions. Stunning scenery and a blast to play. The architect also has a pretty decent pedigree. What pushes it over the top, is the fact that I proposed to my wife after playing the course. I have photographed the course twice (only getting married once).

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 05:02:45 PM »

Scott, the answer is my local muni. Sunday morning at 8.38 with my Scottish bartender friend and two Irish pals, assuming I am in town. I look forward to the match all week long. It usually goes down to the 18th and continues at the 19th. I am off the the movies now. Will answer the other questions when I return.

Aidan.

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 05:07:40 PM »

Scott, the answer is my local muni. Sunday morning at 8.38 with my Scottish bartender friend and two Irish pals, assuming I am in town. I look forward to the match all week long. It usually goes down to the 18th and continues at the 19th. I am off the the movies now. Will answer the other questions when I return.

Aidan.

I love this answer.

Thanks for the link to the article, it was a fun read.

What other golf photographers do you admire?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 05:20:06 PM »
Aidan,
Give us a short version of a shoot.
 How many days?

What do you look for on the initial reconnoiter?

How do you set up your routing plan?

Magic hour is best utilized by shooting _____________________ .

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 05:43:18 PM »

Aidan.

I love this answer.

Thanks for the link to the article, it was a fun read.

What other golf photographers do you admire?

Aidan, I assume you refer to the Santa Barbara Golf Club, known to us who trod those hilly fairways years ago as "The Muni."  What a fun course, beautiful eucalyptus corridors, bumpy greens and all.

Not sure where you'll be in August but will be in SB for a few days, perhaps a beverage?

CJ Carder

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 07:55:05 PM »
Aidan,

Does any stuff you learn/read on this website influence the pictures you take?  In other words, when was the last time you got excited to photograph a bottle hole or a CBM template hole?

Do the clients recommend/require you to take certain pictures or do they leave you up to your artistic abilities?

Are there any courses that you'd love to photograph that you haven't yet?

Not a question, but reading your response about how you found this place, I thought I'd also share that it was while searching for more of your pictures that one of your posts on here came up in the Google search.  That's how I initially wound up here!

CJ

ps - thanks for providing us with phenomenal eye candy!

Ian Andrew

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 08:35:38 PM »
Aidan,

My favourite image of yours is of the 14th green at Baltray.

Is there one particular element that you concentrate on first before selecting your location?

Is it typical of photographers to make slight modifications (ie. removing power wires) on almost all photos in today's age of software.

Regards,

Ian

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 09:55:34 PM »
Scott, thank you for your questions. I took a little break from the rain and went to the movies "Leap Year". My travel agent recommended it and it was very cute.

How often do you play golf?

My pre-nuptial (honest) permits me to play twice a week.

Why is a large format camera better for golf course photos?

Not sure, it all depends on what you want to do with the images.

Film or digital?

Depending on your situation and what you want to do with the photographs, it doesn't matter. It's just a tool.

Of the course owners you have met, which one do you think was the most interesting?

I have never broken bread with a golf course owner. 

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 10:07:15 PM »
George,

There are several of my peers whose work I enjoy and who motivate me on a regular basis. You will forgive me for not mentioning their names but just look at the magazines and beautiful coffee table books replete with stunning golf landscape images and you will know who they are.

Aidan.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 10:15:25 PM »

Give us a short version of a shoot.
 How many days?

Like everything else it all depends on what does the client wants and budget.

What do you look for on the initial reconnoiter?

Potential for stunning images.

How do you set up your routing plan?

Just like the SF 49'rs used to do. The first 30 plays are choreographed and after that you take whatever the course gives you.

Magic hour is best utilized by shooting _____________________ .

Sorry, I don't understand this question.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 10:23:05 PM »
"The Muni."  What a fun course, beautiful eucalyptus corridors, bumpy greens and all.

Bill, I would be happy to have you sponsor me an adult beverage after you have traversed the delightful "Santa Barbara Muni".

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 10:26:11 PM »
"The Muni."  What a fun course, beautiful eucalyptus corridors, bumpy greens and all.

Bill, I would be happy to have you sponsor me an adult beverage after you have traversed the delightful "Santa Barbara Muni".

Sounds good, I'll check in advance.  Nice photo of 18, good par 5 finisher.

Ed Oden

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 10:46:12 PM »
Aidan, your course photos are absolutely terrific.  But hands down my favorite photo of yours is this one...

Its no contest.  While the golf pics are visually stunning, this one speaks volumes.  Can you give some background? 

Thanks!

Ed

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 10:52:34 PM »
Aidan

1) What's your favorite non golf course photo you have taken ? If not one how about 3
2) what's the single biggest mistake amateur photographer's make ?
3) Do you have one course your dying to photograph but have not as of yet ?
4) For us amateurs what's the easiest way to try and take better pictures ?
5) Being from Ireland Jameson or Tullamore and if it's neither and Scottish your 3 fav single malts ?

Thanks and not to sound corny or anything but some of your photos have inspired me to seek certain course's out. Problem with that is as I stated in a thread awhile back you could make a garbage dump look good .

Brad
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:55:01 PM by Brad Fleischer »

Duncan Betts

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 10:57:30 PM »
Aidan,

Can Munster win the Heinken Cup this year?

David_Elvins

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 11:17:54 PM »
Aidan,

What is the best photoshop technique for improving photos of golf courses that everyone should know?
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back