News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Old Pine Valley Photos
« on: December 27, 2009, 05:24:09 PM »
Does anyone here have any old photos of Pine Valley they could post?  Any year or picture would be great. Thanks

Michael Dugger

Re: Old Pine Valley Photos
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 06:16:47 PM »
how is this...
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Michael Dugger

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 06:26:08 PM »
more...
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 07:32:34 PM »
Wow, these are great. Thanks for posting.  What a place that is....

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 09:34:49 PM »
Michael Dugger,

Thanks for posting those photos, they're great.

I've long advocated restoring PV to the way it was in the 4th photo.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 10:04:54 PM »
I've got more....someone posted most of these ages ago....

Michael Dugger

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 10:08:56 PM »

Bruce Katona

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 10:30:46 PM »
I would hope Archie Struthers would chime in here to walk us thru these old photo's.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 10:35:12 PM »
Thanks for posting the photos Michael. Pretty sweet.

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 11:26:34 PM »
Michael,

It looks like a portion of the "pimple" in the 18th green is visible in one of your photos.

What year was that taken ?

Ron Farris

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 12:02:36 AM »
Thanks for sharing these type of photos.  This is one reason I enjoy this site so much. 

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 07:56:19 AM »
Great pictures!

Heres each hole in order of the pictures.
Aerial Photo is dated 1924 and in the asst supers office (you can see the horses gang mowing 16 fwy in the full version)
2 tee
2 green

Second set
I'm actually not 100% sure but I think its 11.....
5 (notice the lady on the tee!!)

third set
18 green looking back
18 green
18 tee
18 green

fourth set

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 08:10:50 PM by Alan FitzGerald »
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 10:09:17 AM »
Great courses look as good - or better - in black and white.

Thanks for posting these.  Stunning, really.

WW

Ian Andrew

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 10:21:03 AM »
For those of you who don't know Alan was the assistant super at Pine Valley quite a few years back.
He would be a great person to ask questions if you have any.

Sean Leary

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 12:18:44 PM »
Doesn't look like the alternate fairway is there on 17. Did we ever figure out what time period that went away?

Bryan Drennon

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 03:43:54 PM »
Here's a few more:

Mike Salinetti

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 04:20:28 PM »
These pics are incredible. I was fortunate enough  to work as an assistant superintendent there along with Alan. Alan, I agree that must be #11 on the one you were not too sure on. Looks like the now left hand green on #8 in the background.
Mike Salinetti
Golf Course Superintendent
Berkshire Hills Country Club
Pittsfield, MA

JESII

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 04:24:24 PM »
Could it be #4 looking away from the clubhouse towards the first green?

Also, look at this last picture Bryan just posted...no DA on #10.

Doug Wright

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 04:26:08 PM »
Could it be #4 looking away from the clubhouse towards the first green?

Jim, that's what I thought when i first saw the photo.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

JESII

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 04:33:26 PM »
Doug,

Yeah, I wouldn't say I am confident, but the green just doesn't seem like #11 even though it's not ver clear...can't think of any other holes with that view in the distance of another green like this besides 11 and 4.

Hope you're well.

archie_struthers

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2009, 06:20:37 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Really great stuff  someday all of the PV alums have to get together for a beer and some golf  ....let's start planning before I get too old

Pretty sure Mr. Sully is right about the green  it's almost surely #4 looking out from where the clubhouse is today  right out of "Charley's " window   the green is too big and flat for 11   also the bunker still exists on the left and you can see bflashes of #1 bunkering

first picture is also # 2 tee  not #1

I am totally in love with the last picture of # 6  but it doesn't give the right perspective  as the tee area and fairway are almost at the same elevation  today and for at least the last forty years.....could this have been an early tee  ?????    if so  they should immediately consider  rebuilding it as it is awesome.....   what do you guys think ??????

thanks Bruce for the plug     GO Eagles!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 06:24:09 PM by archie_struthers »

Sean Leary

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2009, 06:26:30 PM »
Michael,

It looks like a portion of the "pimple" in the 18th green is visible in one of your photos.

What year was that taken ?

Thats what I thought as well. However, if the pimple is in the middle of the green, wouldn't that green be just enormous? I know that is a big green but its not THAT big.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2009, 07:38:13 PM »
Has the 14th (par 3) ever been more open than pictured above. On a website where we critique greatness, that would be my #1 critique.

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2009, 08:20:37 PM »
;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Really great stuff  someday all of the PV alums have to get together for a beer and some golf  ....let's start planning before I get too old

Pretty sure Mr. Sully is right about the green  it's almost surely #4 looking out from where the clubhouse is today  right out of "Charley's " window   the green is too big and flat for 11   also the bunker still exists on the left and you can see bflashes of #1 bunkering

first picture is also # 2 tee  not #1

I am totally in love with the last picture of # 6  but it doesn't give the right perspective  as the tee area and fairway are almost at the same elevation  today and for at least the last forty years.....could this have been an early tee  ?????    if so  they should immediately consider  rebuilding it as it is awesome.....   what do you guys think ??????

thanks Bruce for the plug     GO Eagles!

I'm a little embarrassed on the first picture, I started to list the pictures by number and got distracted...... :-[ I fixed it

I can see how that picture could be 4 green looking from the proshop, but the bunkering left of the green, particularly the knob and the sand flash to the left looked to me like the bunkering to the left of 11 green while the bunkering to the right sort of lines up with the cart path intersection coming down from nine.

As for the DA, as far as I know (and legend has it!) it was created by a washout, they liked it and kept it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 09:34:32 PM by Alan FitzGerald »
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2009, 08:28:08 PM »
My have the tree grown!

14 today

18 tee

tee on 7

tee on 17

approach on 2

#16 tee

#6 tee

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back