News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

NY GCA Participants getting together on NYSGA state days
« on: December 24, 2009, 08:14:51 AM »
I realize that the grandeur of the empire state makes those on eastern Long Island strange bedfellows with those in Youngstown or Ripley.  However, I was inspired to call on all NY state GCA folks by the recent Texas roll-call.  The NYSGA (New York State Golf Association) has doubled the number of State Day tournaments for 2010 (http://www.nysga.org/statedays.html).  In my eyes, these are interesting days to get GCA people together for a bit of camaraderie and golf.  What is the consensus among those of the Rose and Eastern Bluebird (our state flower and bird, I had to google them, I confess)??
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JNC Lyon

Re: NY GCA Participants getting together on NYSGA state days
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 02:26:42 PM »
Ron M,

This sounds like a great idea. The Bellevue, Ravenwood, RTJ, Links at Hiawatha Landing, and Wayne Hills tournaments would all be cool options.  I know that I am personally a huge fan of handicapped/shotgun start type events.  However, if we could get a few GCA teams together it would still be a great time.

JNCL
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 01:43:30 PM »
Unfortunately, either the rest of the Empire Staters are hibernating or they don't care like we do, amigo.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Foley

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 04:40:24 PM »
Guys,

I am in for any of the above as long as I can manage the time w/ family & work. One of my goals for 2010 is to play more w/ GCAers. One round last year in NC was all I could muster up.

Ron - How is the Seneca Niagara course near the lake coming along?

Maybe we can be Wiitter out with us also?

Hope you have a Happy New Year!!

John
Integrity in the moment of choice

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 08:08:39 PM »
I'm more than down for a ny gca gold day!... but I just spend 4 years up in western NY and am in no hurry to go back at the moment! Any chance we can move it a little closer to civilization! aka NYC metro!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 12:09:28 AM »
The one I'm looking at, mainly because I haven't played the course, is the August event at RTJ-Cornell in Ithaca.  It is the annual site of the nys public high school championships, an event that I never quite made.  That one seems about halfway between metro and western, no?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 12:24:40 AM »
Ron:

Great idea and would like to join the party -- but Ithaca isn't really a great place to hook up. Possibly the Albany area would work better or something towards the Binghamton area.

Otherwise, the metro NYC area folks will be balking.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 12:48:40 AM »
July 11th at Hiawatha Landing is a wee bit west of Binghamton, as I recall.  If the State Days events aren't the proper venue, maybe we can come up with something else.  It's about 4.5 to 5 hours from Buffalo to Albany...how far is it for the metro guys?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 12:59:38 AM »
Ron:

Albany is roughly 2 1/2 hours from the norther tier of the metro NYC area - further if one is coming from eastern areas of LI.

Likely Lake Hiawatha makes good sense -- because Binghamton is not far from most points in the Empire State.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 02:01:19 AM »
I agree, Hiawatha is a good option and a solid course as well.  It is 3-4 hours tops from anywhere in the state.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 06:56:59 AM »
Well, that does it...Event # 1 on an informal New York State GCA get-together tour (not necessarily a chronological calendar) is in the books:  Sunday, July 11th at Hiawatha Links...Here is the link for any interested parties...http://www.nysga.org/statedays.html
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 09:34:22 AM »
How can you not include Beaver Island?  ;)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 10:02:02 AM »
The Beave is 1 mile from my house, Dan, yet I don't claim it as my own.  Two things kept the Beave from greatness:  the discovery of a crappy old house (now the G.I. historical society) when the course was under construction, resulting in the elimination of some waterfront holes and lengthier par fives; and the decision to not give the state park to the Senecas as a concession in the 1990s (their plans included a better golf course, gambling and ferries from Buffalo and Fort Erie.)

Now, on to the present.  Ask the NYSGA why they don't want to have an event there...For what it's worth, when the Empire State Games are held in WNY, they always have the Masters Golf at the Beave.  Another William Harries scar on the face of the earth.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 09:20:46 PM »
Not to steal the thread, but can you imagine how cool it would've been if The Beav had been built with river vistas - or god forbid, actually use the Niagara River as a lateral hazard!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 10:05:49 AM »
Trust me, I've awakened screaming, in a cold sweat, debating it.  Think of that point, where the Niagara splits in two.  Imagine the swirling winds.  It's nice the way it is and the walkers, bikers and dogs do benefit, but the golfers...ohh, the golfers!!!!  How we writhe.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JNC Lyon

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 01:56:57 PM »
I propose that we try to work out groups on here and then sign up in GCA teams.  This way we can be sure to have all GCAers in our foursomes.  The first day for sign-up is in March.  Therefore, we have a while to organize things.

JNCL

ed_getka

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 12:59:53 PM »
NY is in range with my car. I am interested in joining if we can get a group or two together.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 04:23:10 PM »
Ward
Lyon
Kovich
Getka
Foley
Montesano

A fine sextet if there ever was one.  I have a chum who I'm sure would accompany me, making it seven.  Who else among the NY or northern PA crew or Quebec/eastern Ontario, for that matter, is up for July 11th at Hiawatha Landing near Binghamton?  FYI the event is a 1 PM shotgun.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JNC Lyon

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 08:57:41 PM »
Let's keep this going! I foresee of full GCA takeover of the July 11th state days.  Paging John Blain: Hiawatha is 1.5 hours from Hamilton down Route 12.  Make it happen!

For those GCAers who are not familiar with Hiawatha:  The course is maybe 15 years old and is a Brian Silva/Mark Mungeam design.  The course is in Apalachin, NY in the bottom of New York State.  The front nine players along the Susquehanna River and is relatively flat.  The back nine plays closer to Route 17, but it possesses great rolling topography.  Silva/Mungeam designed several strategic par-fours.  My favorites include 2, 4, 8, 10, 15, and 16.  16 is a wild long par four with a double-fairway off the tee and a phenomenal green site.  The last two holes play along dug-out lake and are very controversial.  I, for one, am a big fan of the par five 18th.  It is a very fun short par-five and is a nice change of piece from the standard monotonous long par four.  Of course, I also realize there are many others that disagree with me on this hole.

Links at Hiawatha Landing is usually ranked in the top 10 publics in New York State.  It was 4th this year, although it clearly does not belong ahead of Leatherstocking (the gem of upstate NY) and Bethpage Red.  Nevertheless, Hiawatha has some very solid architecture and plenty of fun for any golfer.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 06:45:47 PM »
BUMP

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 07:00:01 PM »
BUMPITY-BUMP

I'm going to do this on a monthly basis.  I will take care of contacting Bill Moore, the boss of the NYSGA, when the time is right.  I imagine that, if we get enough people from GCA, he might be convinced to wave the "need to be a member of NYSGA" requirement for participation.  I am a member via the website e-club system.  It is where I keep my handicap.  If you are interested in playing at Hiawatha, post post post!!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JNC Lyon

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 03:18:13 PM »
Bumping this thread.

Sign-up for state days is in less than a month.  I think we really need to work hard to get a crew together!

Sunday July 11th at the Links at Hiawatha Landing, Apalachin, NY

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 03:23:09 PM »
I'm fairly confident that Kevin Lynch will drive down with me, so that makes three.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 05:46:41 PM »
I'm fairly confident that Kevin Lynch will drive down with me, so that makes three.

Kevin Lynch wishes he could be as confident - between Pinehurst & Williamsburg trips, the weekend trips to the NY State events may be a casualty to the God of Marital Harmony (goddess, actually).

I'd love to meet a number of GCAers, so I'll have to see what I can do.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 07:54:55 PM »
BUMPity BUMP...just received this in the email:

State Days registration opens.

I'm in for the July day at Links at Hiawatha Landing, the one we all agreed would be the best middle ground for eastern, western and central new yorkers, canucks, quebequois and pennsylvanians...here is the link to register:

http://www.ghintpp.com/nysga/tpponlinegolfer/default.aspx?seasonid=3

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back