News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Oden

Re: What a Great Bunker but Where is/was it?
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2009, 05:24:11 PM »
Another view of Baltusrol...

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2009, 11:37:28 PM »
George Bahto,

I loved how that bunker looked, in your photo and others I've seen of it, and other early bunkers.

I'd like to see it restored, but, I fear that the medal play mentality and "fairness" would never permit it.

What I don't understand about the reluctance to restore severe features, especially steep, deep bunkers, is the consequence of being in one of those bunkers versus being in a water hazard.

Is the bunker less forgiving ?

Especially a greenside bunker where extrication is with a highly lofted club.

James Boon

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2009, 04:47:21 AM »
That's it! The rebels are there and I'm sure Skywalker is with them.

Set your course for the Hoth system!

But back to the golf... though I've seen lots of historic pictures of bunkers faced with railway sleepers over here in the UK, I think thats the first time I've seen one from the US? George, thanks for posting.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ben Stephens

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 05:09:09 AM »
Boony,

I have seen this bunker before many years ago.

George,

I think this was the 18th hole of the no longer existing original Old course at Baltusrol before AWT came in to create the Upper and Lower 18th greens. The green seem to be further away from the cluhouse than the current Upper 18th green.

Rees Jones is doing a lot of work on the Upper course at the moment - having seen the US Amateur on TV (can't remember the year) when Jeff Quinney beat James Driscoll on the Upper Course. I came to the conclusion that the Upper is more exciting and better than the Lower.

Cheers
Ben

George_Bahto

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 10:01:30 AM »
Ben: Most who have played both upper and lower of Baltusrol agree the Upper is more interesting and much more fun - lots of shot making. The Lower is long and hard     ::)

If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2009, 10:56:26 AM »
George Bahto, et. al.,

The Upper is catching up to the Lower in the distance department.

Played from the appropriate tees, the Lower remains a very good golf course for the great majority of golfers.

The Upper has far more quirk, especially in the greens and surrounds

Joe Bausch

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2011, 03:01:11 PM »
Perhaps the Baltusrol 100 year history book gives the same details, but this 1910 NY Herald article indicates this 'suicide' bunker is the result of using material from the pit for the clubhouse!

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jud_T

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2011, 01:57:23 PM »
imagine hacking out with one of these:

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back