News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Volcano Bunker
« on: November 11, 2009, 09:48:51 AM »

I love it. Adds flavor. This one does not come into play often. Other examples?

13 at The Honors

Anthony

JC Jones

Re: Volcano Bunker
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 10:04:34 AM »
What is up w/ that big fan?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 10:13:55 AM »
Here are a couple links:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38787.35/

also with photos of volcanos bunkers:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32200.0/

JC-Judging by the surrounding trees, the fan is there to get some air movement in during the hot, summer months.

Tony Nysse
Pine Tree GC
Boynton Beach, FL
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Chuck Brown

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 11:53:40 AM »

lol.  The "big fan" is of course neccessary to provide ventilation to finicky grasses that don't like where they've been planted and the fact that they are surrounded by trees that block the natural wind.

And so, naturally, "volacano" bunkers are neccessary to hide big fans.

Like Bolivian tree lizards, Chinese needle snakes and snake-eating gorillas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_the_Mother

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 12:31:07 PM »
I say if you are gonna put some funk in, make it count.  No, if the bunker isn't front and centre get rid of it. 

Ciao  
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:03:18 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Matt Kardash

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 05:42:51 PM »
I think it looks cool. I kinda find it interesting when natural countours are mixed with blatantly obviously created bunkers like that. It somehow fits my eye well. It looks unnatural but it somehow works to me.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

J_ Crisham

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 06:54:40 PM »
Anthony,   The other bunker I remember being different was the tiny one behind the par 5, the 5th? It was probably only 4or 5 feet in diameter and slightly elevated as well. Not bad, just different. Seeing your pictures reminded me of how much fun I had here a couple of years ago. Hope to get back next year,      Jack

Kenny Baer

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 07:00:55 PM »
Not a big fan of the ol' Cano bunker.

Just seems out of place and goofy.  I have not played the Honors Course; hopefully I will in the next couple of weeks, but I certainly wouldn't have expected to see one there.

I can see a place for them on flat courses without any interesting contours or natural features, or courses with just hundreds of bunkers like the old pictures of Hollywood Golf Club.  

They are okay on the Dye course at Colleton.

At such a naturally beautiful place as the foothills of the mountains I don't see any need.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 08:03:36 PM »

It cools off the lava (and blows away the smoke) when the volcano erupts.  Duh. 

Mac Plumart

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 08:20:46 PM »
Dude...Carl...you are on to something, but perhaps you are on the wrong thread...

How about adding a working volcano disguised as a bunker, of course with accompaning fan, to enhance the discussion on the Pimp my Course thread.  Huh, huh?  Who's with me!!!

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 09:45:13 PM »

It cools off the lava (and blows away the smoke) when the volcano erupts.  Duh.  

Okay, I just laughed out loud.  Not some theoretical 'lol'; I laughed. Out.  Loud.
[Edit. - I just read this again, and laughed out loud again.]

(This is an inexcusable threadjack, but doesn't the "Duel" 7th at SFGC have a giant fan or two?  That could be another topic I suppose; Golf's Top 100 Ventilation Fans.)

By the way, I don't mind the volcano bunker.  What is the history?  From whence did we get volcano bunkers?  What is the purpose, other than that, uh, hey it's a bunker, that sort of looks like a volcano.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:54:20 PM by Chuck Brown »

Rob Rigg

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 11:26:51 PM »
O no, not another volcano bunker thread . . . :)

Volcano bunkers are only cool if they have the fan - like Carl said - +1 for that being freakin' hilarious.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 01:48:22 AM »
Thanks Anthony .

Best laugh I have had in ages .

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 08:06:59 AM »

This SUCKS. I post a serious architectual thread and every body turns it into something humerous........I even tried to spel correctly.....................Oh well...............I think I'll go get my face licked.

Anthony

Mac Plumart

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 08:15:20 AM »
On man, I feel like crap now...I am sorry.

For real, here are a layman's thoughts on that bunker...

It is on the left side of the green, therefore most higher handicappers won't have to mess with it since they tend to slice/fade.  Therefore, the better players might over cook a draw and be confronted with it.

This would put the better player in, essentially, an elevated pot bunker (although I am not sure it is deep enough to be called a pot bunker)...but nevertheless it would appear the player would have to hit a higher, softer escape shot into a green that appears to be sloping away from him.  Tough shot and very penal, but like I said perhaps only better players would be confronted with it.

As for the look of it, it is fine by me...although it doens't look 100% natural and that is one of Mackenzie's rules, so I think it could use some work on that front.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tom Yost

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 08:31:07 AM »
Apache Stronghold # 13

Alister Matheson

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 10:04:28 AM »
Just for Anthony !  ;D
Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 11:17:57 AM »
Just for Anthony !  ;D

CRUDEN BAY HAS EVERYTHING

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back