News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

A Pictorial: North Berwick West Links!!! (18th Hole Posted)
« on: November 07, 2009, 01:52:23 PM »
The North Berwick West Links represents the culmination of my first trip to Scotland -- or anywhere else outside of North America, for that matter -- on two fronts. It was the last course I played before flying home and it will be the last course I feature in this forum from said sojourn.

I had very high expectations for my last round and was very pleased by most of the course. Every hole is distinctive, and most of them are memorable. But, there are some weak holes as well and most of my favorite holes charmed by virtue of their quirky originality more than their world-class quality (there are a handful of elite, timeless classics). That being said, it is because of this inimitable character that the West Links are a must play for any visitor. It is a singular example as a links golf experience that changed the way I view all other courses.

FYI: My other pictorial threads from this trip can be viewed at the following links:
Royal Dornoch http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40107.0/
Brora http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40120.0/
Golspie http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40126.0/
The Castle Course http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40204.0/
Murcar http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40281.0/
Crail: Craigshead & Balcombie http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40325.0/
Lundin Links http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40387.0/
Muirfield http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40439.0/
Cruden Bay http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40565.0/
Gleneagles - Kings Course http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40675.0/
St. Andrews - Old Course http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40696.0/
Gullane #1 & #2 http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41085.0/
Panmure http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41122.0/
Gleneagles - Queens Course http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41152.0/
Kingsbarns http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41184.0/
Royal Aberdeen - Balgownie Links http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41498.0/
Carnoustie – Championship Course http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41834.0/

*not featured: Nairn, Eden, New, Castle Stuart (tour)

The opening tee shot reminded me a bit of the The Old Course, with sands and sea on the right and the 18th fairway on the left running contiguously with that of the 1st.  Also, a walkway bisects the fairway to allow public beach access.

However, the 1st at North Berwick plays much differently, shorter and rising to a significantly elevated green.

The flag is 323 yards away, near the white pole on the horizon. A tee shot of 200 yards will place you just short of the broken ground that climbs to the green.

The safe miss is short and left of the green, where the grass is short and the ground slopes gently towards the putting surface.

A peek to the right provides a lovely scene, with Bass Rock rising out of the Firth of Forth (scroll right to see the flag with the North Berwick harbour and town beyond).

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 02:37:14 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Scott Warren

Re: A Pictorial: North Berwick West Links!!! (1st Hole Posted)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 02:31:22 PM »
Kyle, can you truly say you stood on the tee at #1 and though anything other than "WTF!!!". To me, what followed the first hole was completely inversely proportionate with the thoughts that run through your head on the 1st tee!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 03:49:18 PM by Scott Warren »

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 02:50:24 PM »
Kyle, can you truly say you stood on the tee at #1 and though anything other than "WTF!!!". To be, what followed the first hole was completely inversely proportionate with the thoughts that run through your head on the 1st tee!

I can honestly  say that, mostly because I walked the 1st few holes the previous evening as the sun set.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 02:52:10 PM »
Fair enough!! I can't wait to see your pics of 8-17. That was one of the most idyllic stretches of golf I have ever played.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 03:44:38 PM »
That being said, it is because of this inimitable character that the West Links are a must play for any visitor. It is a singular example as a links golf experience that changed the way I view all other courses.
The West links has been the same for me Kyle. The big thing that 'got' me first time I played there (& continues to take me back there) is the historical & architectural significance of the course. For me, it is one of the most architecturalyl influencial courses in golf.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 06:08:46 AM »
Andrew

I find it particularly compelling when you look at the original architect as "Unkown" ?

Didn't Strath and Anderson have input over the years ?

Kyle

I look forward to your photo tour at one of my favourite places in all of world golf

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 06:41:50 AM »
Kyle

Kick on with this tour!

For the past 5 years or so I have wondered what the 1st would be like as a par 3 playing to the 17th green which would be re-connected with the 1st green.  Of course, 17 would then play to what is now the 1st green.  I think this is what the green configuration was like before the "modern" course evolved.  While I don't dislike the opener (how can one with that green site?), it is a rather odd opening hole that doesn't set well with me.  How far could the first tee be pushed forward before it would interfere with the 18th tee shot?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

James Boon

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 06:47:47 AM »
Kyle,

I'd forgotten that you had played here as well. Been saving the best till last, hey?  ;D

I loved every minute of my round there earlier this year, including this first hole! Though I know a lot of people dont like it much, I honestly didn't mind it as the first here. Anywhere else I may have looked at it a little WTF as Scott says, but here it worked for me. Lay up short of a path that everyone uses to get to the beach, then firing an approach pretty much blind to a green sitting up high that then slopes away, and with the sea behind. To me, thats NB every step of the way! It may have been that my 5 iron then 7 iron were followed by a 30ft birdie putt dead centre has coloured my judgement a bit here, especially as my brother and his mate both went for the green off the tee, came up short in the dunes and beach and both made 5  ;)

Nice picture looking back across the bay towards Bass Rock! So picturesque all white in the distance, until you realise why its that colour...  :o

I cant wait to see the rest of your pictures of NB.

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 02:05:54 PM »
A bit like the 4th and 5th holes at Crail (Balcombie course), the 432-yard 2nd hole of the North Berwick West Links doglegs to the right, requiring a carry over a corner of the beach to bring the green in range for the second shot. Yet, here one has the option of playing from the sand should they stray too far to the right (Crail’s beach is o.b.) and the green is a bit inland.

The ground heaves and hoes as it stretches to a green site protected by three fronting bunkers, two of which are set 30 yards short of the putting surface (including the prominent one seen in front of the flag stick).

Looking back towards the tee, the downhill nature of the tee shot is apparent, as is the ladder needed to climb down the sea wall when one chooses to play from the beach.

Again, looking back towards the tee, a simple circular green of 35 paces in diameter is set against a rough-covered back stop near the 3rd tee box (scroll right to see pin).

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:03:26 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Kyle Henderson

Re: A Pictorial: North Berwick West Links!!! (3rd Hole Posted)
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 01:50:23 AM »
Measuring 460 yards in length, the 3rd hole is a par 4 that continues along the shoreline towards the white pole in the distance.

This small burn must be carried to reach the fairway, but shouldn’t affect any but the most horribly topped tee shots.

The approach is then played over a stone wall that sits ~135 yards short of the green. Two small gaps (the left one is pictured here) allow walking golfers to pass but are decidedly not friendly to motorized carts.

The sign on the left clearly shows that the wall does come into play from time to time.

Viewed from the left rear (scroll right to see the wall gaps and the town from afar), the 3rd green provides a generous target and relatively simple recovery shots for those that stray a bit with their approaches. The real challenge is getting close in two shots, especially when the winds are uncooperative.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 10:24:35 AM by Kyle Henderson »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 08:28:58 AM »

Thanks again Kyle. Well Done.

Anthony

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 09:06:15 AM »
Measuring 460 yards in length, the 4th hole is a par 4 that continues along the shoreline towards the white pole in the distance.

This small burn must be carried to reach the fairway, but shouldn’t affect any but the most horribly topped tee shots.

The approach is then played over a stone wall that sits ~135 yards short of the green. Two small gaps (the left one is pictured here) allow walking golfers to pass but are decidedly not friendly to motorized carts.

The sign on the left clearly shows that the wall does come into play from time to time.

Viewed from the left rear (scroll right to see the wall gaps and the town from afar), the 3rd green provides a generous target and relatively simple recovery shots for those that stray a bit with their approaches. The real challenge is getting close in two shots, especially when the winds are uncooperative.

Kyle

You mean the 3rd hole. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 10:25:07 AM »
Sean,

I do indeed. Oops. :-[

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 08:46:49 PM »
Kyle,

I love your post as Berwick is one of my favorites. The third hole though brings back a great memory. My son, who was maybe 10-11 at the time was walking with me the first time I played. They were kind enough there to let him play along with me as I had stuck a handful of his clubs in my ClubGlove for the trip. On the third, he was trying to play a shot over the wall from close distance and had it come back at him for the first two attempts! We have laughed about this for years. A similar thing happened at the pit hole on the back. No one builds them like this anymore.

A great course and great pics.

Thanks,

Greg

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 10:14:28 AM »

On the third, he was trying to play a shot over the wall from close distance and had it come back at him for the first two attempts! We have laughed about this for years. A similar thing happened at the pit hole on the back. No one builds them like this anymore.

It's not just the kids.  A few years ago I was playing in a four ball at North Berwick and three of us hit the wall with our long second shots at #3!  If I recall correctly, only James Bennett managed to carry the wall.  You'd think we were playing with gutties!   ;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 10:40:53 AM »

No one builds them like this anymore.

Greg

Agreed

John Mayhugh

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 05:43:20 PM »
No dogs allowed?  What?  I guess I'll just have to stick with England.

In all seriousness, it's been way too long since I've seen this course.  Thanks for the pics Kyle.

Kyle Henderson

Re: A Pictorial: North Berwick West Links!!! (4th Hole Posted)
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 01:34:12 AM »
The 4th hole of the North Berwick West Links is a par 3 of 178 yards in total. Broken ground between the tee and green make the pin appear much farther away than it truly is.

Three bunkers safeguard the right side of the green (only the middle is visible here) while another plays sentry on the left. The rear portion of the green is raised.

Looking back from the 5th tees, one can see that anything pulled left from the 4th tee could find the foursome in front.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:04:29 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 01:36:28 AM »
No dogs allowed?  What?  I guess I'll just have to stick with England.

They let me through the wall, so hope prevails... ;)

Scott Warren

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 04:30:52 AM »
Jesus I miss North Berwick.

Great work Kyle. My spirit soars just looking at these pics.

James Boon

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 05:05:11 AM »
Kyle,

I've been looking forward to your pictures of the middle of the front nine. When I played I really didn't have much of a clue about 4, 5, 6 and 7 so it was an eye opener to see those holes, most of which really aren't bad holes, its just the more famous closing holes get all the good press...

The 4th really does look a lot longer than its 178 yards when you stand on the tee. Who knows what club I would have hit if I didn't know the yardage? And I think its a tricky target to hit with a mid to long iron, especially with the wind up.

Keep them coming!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Kyle Henderson

Re: A Pictorial: North Berwick West Links!!! (5th Hole Posted)
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 08:50:18 PM »
The 370-yard 5th hole turns gently to the right, with one bunker on the outside of the dogleg, and another two on the inside separated by 30 yards.

The green complex (viewed from the left) is fairly simple, falling away a bit around the edges with a single bunker at the front/right corner. If you scroll to the right, you can see a foursome putting on the famed 13th green -- the “Pit” beyond the wall will feature later in this profile.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 08:58:31 PM »

Well done Kyle.

Anthony

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 09:01:49 PM »

Well done Kyle.

Anthony

Thanks for the encouragement!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 09:05:08 PM »

Kyle,

Your hole by hole threads really deserve more discussion. Thank you for your valued contributions to the site.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back