News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

Architects best work on worst site
« on: November 06, 2009, 05:53:19 PM »
Here's a question I've been dying to ask...

What golf course represents an architects best piece of design work given his worst (or near his worst) piece of property to work with?

We are all familiar with Mackenzie and Cypress.  Great course but that is a great site to work with, correct?

Or Ross and Seminole.  But I've heard that Wannamoisett might be his best work given the constraints there.

So with that, I would love to hear the groups thoughts.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mike Hendren

Re: Architects best work on worst site
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 06:19:29 PM »
Mackenzie and Augusta National Golf Club.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 06:25:52 PM »
Layman opinions on this will be all over the place, but I would really like to hear the GCA's on the board give their opinions of either their own or of other GCA's or both.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Emil Weber

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 07:33:27 PM »
Mike Clayton at Royal Queensland in Brisbane, Australia. A great layout, wide fairways, great green complexes and every single cubic yard of earh that was moved seems to make sense. The site's only real advantage is that it  adjoins Brisbane River, otherwise its totally flat, withs some little humps and bumps which seem natural, but are probably man-made.

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 07:46:55 PM »
Didn't we just have this post a few weeks ago?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 07:47:16 PM »
Rees Jones......Sandpines.

Oh wait a second...I got that reversed!!   ;D

How about Fazio with Shadow Creek...it was just flat barren desert when he 1st showed up.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 08:50:48 PM »
Not the course of their careers but very good work...

Tom D and group at the Rawls Course in Lubbock, TX.  It was a dead flat cotton field in its first life.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 08:52:36 PM by Carl Rogers »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 08:53:31 PM »
Stephen Kay and Macullough's Emerald Golf Links. Complete limitations on the fill he could use because of the risk breaking the landfill. Leads to a lot of horizontally inclined hazards that are incredibly effective.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 09:56:50 PM »
Very cool thus far. 

I have to check out a couple of these as I haven't heard of them.  I love getting the scoop for people who know.  Nice!

More opinions are welcome!!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 10:07:13 PM »
CB Mac and Yale
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back