News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Simon Kofoed

Re: 10% of Irish golf courses generate over 90% of golf tourist income
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 11:05:12 PM »
The photo is of the 12th, which isn't one of the new 3. Those holes are the 3 played before the 12th, I've only played the course after the changes but this hole used to be the 11th.

Bill,

You most likely would have played from the tee in the foreground of the photo, you literally have to walk right next to it coming from the 11th green, but the hole certainly looks better from the aerial shot rather than at ground level.

I also agree that there are a few holes that you wouldn't travel very far to play, but the spectacular holes more than make it a worthwhile course.

I am also yet to receive a warmer welcome by a club membership base than at Ardglass.

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

Re: 10% of Irish golf courses generate over 90% of golf tourist income
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 08:24:20 AM »
Althought this is an old topic, I don't see the point in starting a new topic, as what I have to say is quite short.

Ally:

A few glaring omissions on your links list (all 4 are in Donegal).

Dunfanaghy (18)
Gweedore (9)
Buncrana (9)
Otway(9)

I have played Otway a few times and I would never consider it parkland. It has a links feel to it, and the turf is sandy and firm. It's a links course in my opinion. Buncrana is a links course with a very long history.

I cannot comment on Greencastle Golf Club, as I have not played it, but I suspect some holes are links like.

Dónal.

Donal, I'd agree with you on Otway being more links thann parkland. It brings back some great memories as my grandfather grew up across the street so I spent quite a bit of time up there as a kid.
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back