News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Gawith

The National (pictures)
« on: October 24, 2009, 04:25:14 PM »
I have had many great days on great courses, but certainly none better than my recent visit to The National. I had high hopes and they were easily matched. I found the whole experience very powerful. The clubhouse is magnificent, capturing perfectly the club's huge place within the history of American golf and the huge personality behind it.

And the course was sublime - I felt a sense of excitement at being out on such a perfect links, and that sense did not really diminish over the next eight hours or so. The three strongest senses i had in playing the course were, firstly, of the sheer openness and width  - you really felt you could open your shoulders. Second, it was spectacularly visual - all the angles seemed to work, everying seemed so natural, albeit the course is in parts very sculpted. Finally, the wonderful variety and challenge of the golf - you stood on every tee, approached every green with a sense of pleasure and wonder.

Anyway, enough of the guff. I will not claim to have even started to appreciate the strategic challenge of the course - I will leave that to others and mostly stick to the pictures which i will split into three groups.

A view of the first from the left rough. Only 330 yards from back markers, with the challenge mostly lying in hitting and not taking too many putts on the very tricky green.

This shot gives you a sense of the approach

A view from back of the first green

A view of the second green - this bunker is about 70 yards out. The drive is totally blind and this is definitely a hole which needs a few goes to get the feel of where to go, how far to hit it

Second green with panorama of the course behind, including the 15th green, and the redan 4th green

The tee shot on the the famous Alps hole - the third. Driving line is the central smiley bunker on far side of the fairway. From this angle you can just see at the top of the hill the start of the green complex, but when you are down below on the fairway it is as blind as it gets.

This is the amazing green complex you see when you crest the brow on the 3rd - definitely one of the features of the course.

Another view of the 3rd green - which is vast!

This time a view of the right side of the 3rd

The redan hole in the middle ground, viewed from back of second green (with Shinnecock clubhouse looming in the background)

The redan hole as you see it from the tee

Another view of the redan - from the landing area where you can feed the ball in.

Another semi blind tee shot - the 5th (Hog's Back)

The 5th green - no push over after you have come 480 yards!

A good view of the wonderfully contoured sixth green  - Short.

The tee shot on six - only 140 yards from the back, downhill...

A side view of the same green

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 06:35:18 PM by Philip Gawith »

John Mayhugh

Re: The National (pictures)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 04:37:10 PM »
This answers the question of which first tee I would most like to be standing on today!

Great photos as always Philip.  Your description of the three senses is spot on.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 04:53:56 PM »
Phil gets national 65 and sunny...Jay gets national 44 and pouring rain:):)  Cruel fates, why do you mock me? ;D
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Philip Gawith

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 04:54:49 PM »
Holes 7 -12

The fairway on 7 giving you a great sense of width and scale

The approach to 7 - a beautiful sight with the Bottle hole clearly visible in the background

A closer look at the "Road" hole green, with the famous bunker - very deep! - visible on the left

CBM's answer to the road on the Road Hole.

Bunkering behind the 7th green

Tee shot on Bottle, the 8th

The green on Bottle

Tee shot on Long - the par five 9th

Tee shot on 10- Shinnecock

The scale of the people gives you some idea of the size of the 10th green - a memorable green, and there is some competition!

A view back at the magnifcent 10th green

And another

The approach to 11- Plateau with the Principle's Nose bunkers evident about 80 yards out.

The double-plateau green on the aptly named Plateau hole

The view from the right, 150 yards out on Sebonac (12th)

The 12th green..

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 04:59:10 PM »
Bahto's book is REALLY good...but it doesn't have pics like these...WOW!!

Philip Gawith

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 05:11:17 PM »
13-18

The Eden hole - I am sorry i did not manage to capture some of the bunkering, which wraps the entire back of the green.

The drive on the Cape hole - straight into the teeth of the wind, a push or a pull are likely outcomes!

The approach to the Cape hole

Another shot of the same green..

The drive on the 15th - Narrow. Views do not come much more iconic than this.

Another amazing green - 15, with an enormous back to front slope

The same green, from above

The tee shot on 16- the Punchbowl

The Punchbowl green

The tee shot on the famous 17th, loved by all the strategists - a big drive down the left can open up the green (or lose your ball), while the safer route down the right leaves a semi-blind approach, unless you are "Jack Nicklaus" right!

A look back up 17 which captures the elevation change and the hazard which dictates strategy

The tee shot on 18 - a magnificent close to a wonderful course

Reachable in two with two strong hits....

Looking back at the 18th green with the iconic clubhouse in the background

And out to Peconic Bay.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 05:14:38 PM »
Great pics, I could look at National pics all day!

You said 8 hours. Did you get to play it twice? Or did thepicture taking slow you down ;D

George Freeman

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 05:19:14 PM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you

Looks like the day of a lifetime...

Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

jkinney

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 05:24:06 PM »
SUBLIME photos, Phil. Please allow me to make one minor correction with respect to your view of Redan's (4th) green from Sahara's (2nd) green. That's Shinnecock's clubhouse in the background, not Sebonack's. You've inadvertently caused Stanford White to roll in his grave !! Did you by chance take a shot of National's clubhouse from Peconic's (17th) tee that you might splice into the shot you took from that tee, in order to show the panoramic view ?

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 05:26:48 PM »
The recent pictures from NGLA and Fishers Island are really terrific.  I've never had the pleasure of playing either, let alone both.  For those who have, if you had to divide 10 rounds, how would you do it?  

Germain Pepin

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 05:33:02 PM »
Those photos are effectively sublime. Thanks to share with us.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 05:46:06 PM »
Did you by chance take a shot of National's clubhouse from Peconic's (17th) tee that you might splice into the shot you took from that tee, in order to show the panoramic view ?

Jeremy,
In case Philip doesn't have it, here's the view you mentioned. I made an attempt to join that photo with one of the 17th hole, but didn't turn out too good.  The view from up there is about as good as it gets in golf.

jkinney

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 06:21:40 PM »
Well done, John !! Did you take a shot from 17 tee looking back at Shinnecock's clubhouse ? The back tee on 17 is my favorite spot in the world BY FAR.

PATRICK MUCCI, WHERE ARE YOU ??...... We look forward to your learned commentary of these marvelous photos !!

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 06:35:42 PM »
Philip

Very, very fine.  It isn't often one is bowled over by nearly everything on the canvas, but in particular, the 11th hole looks a peach.

Thank you

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Philip Gawith

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 06:37:49 PM »
You are right JK - thanks for pointing out. I was getting confused! And  I hope you are right that these pictures maybe stimulate Pat to recommence his avid and learned discourse on the course!

Bill, yes we played twice.

I am only sad that we can't show these pics in a broader format - then they really look good!

Philip Gawith

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 06:40:39 PM »
Thanks Sean - I am sure if you had asked me to single out strong memories that the 11th would probably not have featured. But I can completely see why you focus on it - it is a measure of the course that you are really spoilt for choice.

Thanks for posting some supplementary pics John - you too were lucky with the weather! Beautiful early morning light...

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 06:43:26 PM »

The amazing thing is that it was constructed 100 years ago.

Anthony

PThomas

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 07:12:33 PM »
i've yet to play Pine Valley or NGLA, but superb pictures like this make me think that NGLA would be my first choice to play
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Cory Brown

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 07:58:48 PM »
Paul brings up a point that I was thinking about as I looked at the pictures of NGLA and of Shinnecock Hills.  I know we are definitely splitting hairs when ranking courses of this caliber, but is Pine Valley really better than these two?  I have never played any of them, so I am just wondering.  Both NGLA and Shinnecock look unbelieveably good.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 08:02:07 PM »
Philip

Thanks for posting some great photos. Looks like you caught a better day there than me ;)

Quick Q: Where would you rather play - Shinnecock or NGLA ?  ;D

John Mayhugh

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2009, 08:10:49 PM »
Well done, John !! Did you take a shot from 17 tee looking back at Shinnecock's clubhouse ? The back tee on 17 is my favorite spot in the world BY FAR.

PATRICK MUCCI, WHERE ARE YOU ??...... We look forward to your learned commentary of these marvelous photos !!

This is as close as I got.  All the more reason to go back and take ten times as many photos.  The 316 I took don't seem like nearly enough.  Jeremy is right.  The feeling on the 17th tee is magical.

I've never been to Shinnecock or Pine Valley, but I would take another day at NGLA over anywhere else in the world.  Not even close. 

Paging Patrick Mucci.  We've gone too long.  Time to resume the enchanted journey - the best series of posts I've seen on GCA.
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38492.0/

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38518.0/

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38527.0/

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38784.0/

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39073.0/

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39083.0/

Emil Weber

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 09:11:13 PM »
Phillip, thanks for the photos - it's the most detailed review of NGLA I've seen.

I particularly like the photo of the redan from the 2nd tee because it shows the severe front-to back slope of the green.

jkinney

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2009, 12:14:05 AM »
Philip

Thanks for posting some great photos. Looks like you caught a better day there than me ;)

Quick Q: Where would you rather play - Shinnecock or NGLA ?  ;D

Shinnecock , IMO, is the hardest, fair test of golf I know and because of that I prefer it over Pine Valley. National sits on, IMO (and Ben Crenshaw's) the greatest golfing ground in the world. To have them next to each other  is BY FAR AND AWAY the greatest one two combo in the golfing world. I play them both equally but love each for different reasons.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2009, 12:27:32 AM »
Best place I've ever seen...my favorite, despite how hard it is.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Philip Gawith

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2009, 03:47:17 AM »
Kevin, I answered this same question in the Shinnecock thread. I would go with the National - overall it was a more powerful and memorable experience, albeit the comparison feels a bit invidious since I loved Shinnecock and would surely take it over just about anywhere. Also i was a bit more spoilt at NGLA by doing the whole lunch stick and going round twice.

It must be said for two neighbouring courses they are VERY different in all sorts of ways.

In passing, I also wondered in the Shinnecock thread about where else you could find comparable quality golf, side by side, and suggested possibly Royal Melbourne and Kingston Heath. I am not sure how many people are in a position to comment _ Mike Clayton said to me in an IM that he felt Royal Melbourne was certainly comparable on the golf front and Kingston Heath scored maybe highest of all in terms of what the architect got from a small piece of ground. My own view would be that while KH was a really memorable course, and hugely enjoyable, it does not quite get to the magical levels of the National, while RM unquestionably has many great holes, it does not come close to either NGLA/Shinnie iin terms of the golfing atmosphere it exudes. That said, can't wait to go back!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back