News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Castle Stuart The par 3 11th
« on: October 22, 2009, 10:58:15 AM »

Great design. Plays 130. Green slopes left to right. The play is over the front bunker. Bunkers on the hill on the left to protect the ball from going into the hazard. For bunker phobics a safe area front right of the green. Death awaits the long shot.

Anthony

Eric Smith

Re: Castle Stuart The par 3 11th
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 11:22:28 AM »
Do you think you can play for a bump off of the bump front right?

Those pics make me dizzy - I know you said it was extremely windy, I can imagine how so.

Jud_T

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:23:43 AM »
Thanx for the pix, looks pretty sweet.....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 11:28:22 AM »

Those pics make me dizzy - I know you said it was extremely windy, I can imagine how so.

I just don't have steady hands.

Anthony

Brian Phillips

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 11:45:02 AM »
The first hole in one on the course was played there by Stuart McColm (always get his surname wrong).  He was playing with some possible new members last October.  The guests hit their shots and none really played the shot correctly.  So anyway, Stuart gets up and explains about how the hole was designed and how they wanted to do this, do that etc etc.

He then explains to them that you need to land on the left hand mound coming off the bunker to then roll down to the hole.  What does he do.....exactly that!  It will go down in history...

One of the greatest Par 3 holes on the planet...
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 11:47:45 AM »
Waco Kid, what about that bump?  Can you use it to get a bounce towards the flag?  

In some of the pics it looks like a good angle for that type of shot, in some of the others taken from the back of the green not so much.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 11:52:32 AM »
Waco Kid, what about that bump?  Can you use it to get a bounce towards the flag?  

In some of the pics it looks like a good angle for that type of shot, in some of the others taken from the back of the green not so much.

That is how it is designed.

Anthony

Eric Smith

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 12:09:06 PM »
The first hole in one on the course was played there by Stuart McColm (always get his surname wrong).  He was playing with some possible new members last October.  The guests hit their shots and none really played the shot correctly.  So anyway, Stuart gets up and explains about how the hole was designed and how they wanted to do this, do that etc etc.

He then explains to them that you need to land on the left hand mound coming off the bunker to then roll down to the hole.  What does he do.....exactly that!  It will go down in history...

One of the greatest Par 3 holes on the planet...

Now that is quite an introduction to the hole - great story Brian.

James Boon

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 12:10:53 PM »
Anthony,

I loved this hole, so thanks for posting your pics, especially the ones from the high ridge looking down onto it. I had some trouble with my camera for some reason towards the end of the round and didnt get those pics for myself. Once I've finished the Askernish thread I'll hopefully post some of the Castle Stuart pics but here is a taster...

View from the dunes to the left of the tee, walking over from the 10th

Tee shot

On the green

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 12:12:32 PM »

Anthony

Do you tell your patients that?  You're not getting anywhere near my teeth with shaky hands.

When I played that hole, it was strongly downwind, making it even a more treacherous shot.  The way Brian describes playing it might be the only way with a tail wind.  The bailout short right is no bargain unless you're really good with your short game from closely mown areas. The front bunker might be a better leave than going over. A really neat short par 3, with a lot going on.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
No wind at all on my day. I fell into the short and right area. Hit a great chip up. Think I missed the putt.
I really enjoyed CS.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 12:38:20 PM »
It really reminds me of the 17th at Sand Hills.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Alister Matheson

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 03:49:50 PM »
I was lucky to play cs this tuesday its fantastic easy to see so much thought and passion were put in to building it . 11th classic hole that sucked me in to try and be a hero and go for the pin tucked away back left think my pro v is now on a beach in norway .
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 04:01:04 PM by Ally Matheson »
Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 05:15:49 PM »

Anthony

Too much drinking and face licking going on.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 05:26:39 PM »
The hole would have been as good (or better) without the two blowout bunkers in the dunes left and right.
They do not add to the strategy of the hole at all.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 07:06:08 PM »
Dick,

Don't the bunkers on the left and right create some drama for those trying to bank the ball in off the slopes?

A little to far and you are in the bunker, instead of finding yourself chipping from the fescue?

I have not played the hole, my thoughts are based on the photos.

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 07:22:02 PM »
Rob

Golfers do not hit the ball "too far"

That is why I think the bunkers are not needed.

If you can photoshop the two blowout bunkers out (I do not photoshop or I would) you would see what the hole would look like.

When I said not helping the strategy, I was taking my opinion from the description of the hole where the shot was to hit it over the front bunker on the left and letting the slope of the green take it to the cup.

In other words, bunkers past the front of the green do not help with the strategy.

As said in the description, deep is dead.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 10:17:06 AM »

The bunkers on the left are not penel. They protect the ball from going into the water. A shot out of those bunkers can be controlled better than a shot out of wispy stuff.

Anthony

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 11:07:40 AM »
Excuse me, that is my point exactly, placing the bunker(s) there ruins the strategy of the hole.

It is a better, simpler hole without them.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 11:25:26 AM »
Excuse me, that is my point exactly, placing the bunker(s) there ruins the strategy of the hole.

Dirk,

When you pay a big green fee like that, you are supposed to get strategy, and aesthetics.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brian Phillips

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 11:43:55 AM »

Dirk,

Have you played the hole?

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 08:06:44 PM »
Brian,

No, I have not....but I can see

Anthony Gray

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 08:46:42 PM »

Dirk,

First of welcome to the site. And for the sake of the discussion......rarely would those bunkres come into play.....so the eye candy factor prevails here. Also If a player hits into one of those bunkers it saves his ball from going into the hazard. The bunker is a better place to be than the sea. I would welcome that bunker if I pulled my tee shot. I think the view from the 18th fairway shows that. Also it is the shortest hole on the course.

Thanks for you contribution,

Anthony

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 08:49:50 PM »
Anthony

Thank you for the welcome to the site.

If you are calling those bunkers "eye candy" then I can tell you that we agree.

End of subject.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2009, 09:04:29 AM »
Dirk,

Yes you can see but you cannot measure the wind from a computer.   ;)  That is a huge difference and an integral part of design in Scotland.

Should every bunker have a strategic element? 

The bunkers on the left that you are talking are very much in play for someone who has to hit a long iron or rescue club and has a fade or slice in their swing (80% of golfers?).  They have to set the ball starting off on those bunkers to let a. the fade bring it back in and b. most important to let the wind work it back in.

How do I know this?  I have played the hole. But most important I played with two other players and that is exactly what we had to.  We all ended up hitting 3 balls each to get it right and the far left bunkers were the line.  Now it could be said that those bunkers are aiming bunkers but what if the wind died as a you put the ball in the air or a player hits a draw or even straight?

I do not agree with you either about the right hand bunkers as that is the prevailing wind side in the summer and the same strategy applies.

Yes, you can see but you cannot gauge a hole in Scotland (especially on coastal courses) without judging a hole with regards the wind.  You have not done that.

I believe your statement to be wrong that the hole would be better without them. 8)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back