News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Merchantville CC (Cherry Hill, NJ): a photo tour (updated)
« on: October 17, 2009, 02:43:21 PM »
In August [2009] I had the good fortune to play Merchantville CC, a nifty little 9-hole course near Cherry Hill, NJ.  I believe it is one of the older clubs in the country, starting in 1892.  Curiously, the architectural history of the course is not well known.  If I was a betting man, I wouldn't be surprised if Alex Findlay was involved at some point.

On the Golf Association of Philadelphia web page is this fun read of some of the history of MCC:

When the papers of incorporation were signed on October 13,1892, what is now the Merchantville Country Club was the Merchantville Field Club. John B. Morton was the moving force behind the formation of the Field Club. Working with him in gaining the support of the townsfolk were Frederick W. Klein and John P. Burleigh.

The original clubhouse is today the Merchantville Community Center, and the lawn in front of it, at Greenleigh Court and Somerset Street, was the club’s first playing field. On it were a baseball diamond, a football gridiron, and a cricket pitch. And if there may have been some overlapping of the three, the baseball diamond, complete with a large grandstand and changing rooms for the players, was considered among the finest in South Jersey at that time.

Golf didn’t get its start at Merchantville until 1897, and then, as at Moorestown, it was greeted with apathy. Perhaps the rudimentary nature of the "course"—tin cans sunk in holes at the extreme ends of the field—had something to do with this. But William Craig and William Stelwagon, the town’s first golfers, urged their clubmates to give it a try. Soon the game began to catch on. When additional land was acquired just after the turn of the century and a full nine holes routed over it, golf was on its way to becoming the principal diversion at Merchantville.

The club earned some national attention in 1910, when Philadelphia-born-and-bred Johnny McDermott, Merchantville’s golf professional, came to the fore in the U.S. Open. Very like 50 years later, another professional, Al Besselink, who learned the game on this old nine, would make his mark on the PGA Tour. It is said that 16 golf professionals, among them two Besselinks and five Midiris, acquired their knowledge of the game and their affection for it while growing up in this tiny township, which covers just one square mile.

Over the years the course would be improved and toughened. Though generally spoken of as a nine-hole layout, Merchantville actually would come to have 11 greens, and the second time around the course is not a simple repetition of the first. For instance, the 3rd and the 12th are completely different holes. And though the 4th and 13th, both short par 4s, share a common fairway, the approach shots are played to separate greens. Laid out on some 55 acres, the course measures just over 6,000 yards from the regular tees, 6,231 yards from the blue tees; par is 72. Chiefly because of the drainage ditches on every hole, the slope is a stiff 138.

Despite not being permitted to serve alcoholic beverages—Merchantville has remained a dry township—the club managed to hold its own through the difficult days of the Depression and World War II. But after the name had been changed to Merchantville Country Club, in the mid-50s a decision was made to build a new clubhouse and locate it on the other side of the course, in Cherry Hill. Here a liquor license was obtained. Merchantville thus provides what must be a very rare instance of a club changing both its name and its location (or, at the very least, its address) while continuing to play the same golf holes.

The most recent rating of the course has it playing 71.2/135 at a yardage of 6204.  Here is the routing:

#1.  MCC opens with a par 5 (505 yards) that bigger hitters will be tempted to reach in two.  However, the FW is narrow and tree-lined, and just before the green is a creek, then two large fronting bunkers.

#2.  The No 1 handicap hole on the course, and perhaps my favorite, is this 575 yard par 5.  The same creek is in play for the duffer off the tee, then for everybody about 175 yards short of the green.  There is OB left, and a fun two-tiered green.

#3.  At this par 3 there are two different greens.  The left green plays around 140 yards:

And here is the view from behind of the green to the right, playing about 130 yards:

#4.  This par 4 also has two greens.  Here is the view from the tee, where the left green is visible, the right green is not:

A well-placed tee shot to the right part of the FW is ideal to get at the left green.  The right green is visible here too, but the place to be in the FW is farther left as there is a big tree the causes access problems.

The left green is small and guarded with bunkers and mounding:

The right green requires a precise shot:

A view from long and right of the right green:

#5.  A short par 4 with bends a little left.  Big hitters might try to knock it on (325 yards).

#6.  A longish par 3 (203 yards) to a small green:

#7.  A short par 4 (289 yards) where a lay-up shot off the tee is the prudent play as that pesky creek crosses just short of the green.

#8.  This slight dogleg right par 4 (354 yards) has perhaps the most difficult tee shot as there is OB left and the FW cants to the right where the creek runs, separating the 8th and 9th fairways:

#9:  a slight dogleg right par 4 (403 yards) where the tee shot feels the most open on the course.  The creek bends a little to the right so a good line is right over the bridge:

Looking back to the tees, this FW leans pretty hard to the creek too:

A good drive leaves a look like this for a short iron in, with the relatively new clubhouse in the background:

The Philly area is fortunate to have a few wonderful 9 hole courses.  I look forward to playing Merchantville again, perhaps in the McDermott Cup, an event on the drawing board to start next golf season.  The supe should be commended at MCC as the conditioning is excellent, in particular the greens.

The same day I played Merchantville, I also played the nearby Moorestown Field Club, another fun 9-holer that KBM has been doing some work on for the last couple of years.  I'll try to start a separate photo tour thread on Moorestown next week.

EDIT:  an updated album from my round last Sunday is here:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/Merchantville/

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 05:59:24 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

mike_malone

Re: Merchantville CC (Cherry Hill, NJ): a photo tour
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 08:20:08 PM »
 Joe,

Thanks so much for introducing this to me. What's better to play 18 here or 9 here and 9 at Moorestown?
AKA Mayday

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
Joe,

Thanks so much for introducing this to me. What's better to play 18 here or 9 here and 9 at Moorestown?

I would not complain with either.  I guess I would lean toward 9 at each, which is how I experienced them.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 09:23:17 PM »
Thanks Joe, very nice.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 10:26:52 AM »
As you can see from this 1939 Dallin aerial of the holes on the now clubhouse side of the course (1, 2, 6-9), trees were present but not like they are now!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 04:48:04 PM »
I was fortunate to play Merchantville again on Sunday, in the morning before the Crump Cup.  I'm a bit better at taking pictures now and have a better camera (and better post-processing!), and a new photo album is here:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/Merchantville/

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 05:11:50 PM »
How many trees need to be removed? If you had to guess at a number - would you say 500? More?

You exaggerate a million times Brian.   ;)

But I'd say a hundred could go easily and no one would notice.   :)

But houses are nearby and trees on property lines are probably needed to keep the homeowners happy.

Ed Brzezowski

Re: Merchantville CC (Cherry Hill, NJ): a photo tour (updated)
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 08:26:43 PM »
The Mc Dermott cup?   Care to spill a bean or two Joe.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 06:51:07 AM »
The Mc Dermott cup?   Care to spill a bean or two Joe.

A few years back there were plans for a McDermott Cup at Merchantville.  I'll try to find out the current status.

Bill Crane

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 01:06:12 PM »
Joe:

Great photos MGC, as always.  Thanks, again for posting your pictures of Springdale GC (Princeton).

I used to live in Merchantville when I first got married.  Sort of discovered the community when I took a wrong turn driving back to Marlton from Center City Phila.   It is only about 9 mins to the Ben Franklin bridge.  Merchantville reminded me of Pennington near Princeton but closer to Trenton, like Merchantville is near Camden.

Got the chance to play Merchantville twice, and there were some really TIGHT holes !!  Good charm and character.  Glad to hear that they did some judicious tree removal.  Last time I was there was probably 20 years ago. Looks like some new bridges and perhaps a renovation of clubhouse ?

By the way, George Crump lived only about a 1/4 mile from the golf club on East Maple near the center of town.  There is an off size squash court in his carriage house that used to have a little club of guys playing there and I joined them occasionally.  Interesting old Georgian brick house, very British looking.

Curious if Crump ever played MGC ?

While I have not played it, I have heard good things about the nine hole course in Woodbury, NJ, also quite old.

Thanks, again for sharing another course.

Wm Flynnfan

Joe Bausch

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 01:31:52 PM »

While I have not played it, I have heard good things about the nine hole course in Woodbury, NJ, also quite old.

Bill,

Woodbury CC closed up shop about 5 years ago.  I regret not getting over to see it.

Alex Cameron

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 04:40:14 PM »
I've lurked around GCA for a while and finally reached out to get an account so that I could add to the discussions. Nice surprise to find a post about Merchantville on the front page - it's where I grew up playing, so I can't imagine a better topic for my first post.

For a short course on a small piece of land, Merchantville offers a lot of shot making variety, and the generally well conditioned greens have great, subtle features that are a lot of fun while being fair. I agree that a lot of credit should be given to the superintendent (who I believe is still Kent), as Merchantville derives more from its playing conditions than from the quality of the course or golf facilities. Also, ask a Merchantivlle member about the creek and he won't know what you're talking about. It's called the ditch, and it comes into play on almost every hole on the course.  

The opening back to back par 5s are interesting in that they are dramatically different from the rest of the course - both require two long and accurate shots to set up a wedge into the green, while the remaining par 4s generally are of the 3-iron then sand wedge variety. It's really a bookend course, with holes 1,2,8, and 9 being as good as anything at your average GAP club, but 3-7 severely lacking length and variety. But seeing how you go around the same nine twice, there's plenty of good golf in a round at MCC.  

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 05:00:25 PM »
Joe:

Great photos MGC, as always.  Thanks, again for posting your pictures of Springdale GC (Princeton).

I used to live in Merchantville when I first got married.  Sort of discovered the community when I took a wrong turn driving back to Marlton from Center City Phila.   It is only about 9 mins to the Ben Franklin bridge.  Merchantville reminded me of Pennington near Princeton but closer to Trenton, like Merchantville is near Camden.

Got the chance to play Merchantville twice, and there were some really TIGHT holes !!  Good charm and character.  Glad to hear that they did some judicious tree removal.  Last time I was there was probably 20 years ago. Looks like some new bridges and perhaps a renovation of clubhouse ?

By the way, George Crump lived only about a 1/4 mile from the golf club on East Maple near the center of town.  There is an off size squash court in his carriage house that used to have a little club of guys playing there and I joined them occasionally.  Interesting old Georgian brick house, very British looking.

Curious if Crump ever played MGC ?

Thanks, again for sharing another course.

Wm Flynnfan

Bill-The clubhouse is an entirely new building and on the other side of the golf course across the street from the original. If I'm not mistaken the original was donated to the town. A little more tree clearing is in order but all in all just pure fun. It's clear that the membership is proud of their golf course and it's history.

Alex Cameron

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 05:20:49 PM »

Bill-The clubhouse is an entirely new building and on the other side of the golf course across the street from the original. If I'm not mistaken the original was donated to the town. A little more tree clearing is in order but all in all just pure fun. It's clear that the membership is proud of their golf course and it's history.
[/quote]

The original clubhouse was donated because Merchantville was (is?) a dry town, and so a clubhouse was built on the Cherry Hill side where liquor could be served. That clubhouse was completely rebuilt around 2005.

It's a shame that the original clubhouse and grounds are no longer held by the club. It's a great building, and the property there would allow for the expansion of the course. #5 could be probably stretched to about 375 yards and you would still have room left over for a short game area. Also interesting is that the course wasn't designed to open with back to back par 5s. It's just a function of the location of the Cherry Hill clubhouse.

Tim Martin

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 05:49:53 PM »

The original clubhouse was donated because Merchantville was (is?) a dry town, and so a clubhouse was built on the Cherry Hill side where liquor could be served. That clubhouse was completely rebuilt around 2005.

It's a shame that the original clubhouse and grounds are no longer held by the club. It's a great building, and the property there would allow for the expansion of the course. #5 could be probably stretched to about 375 yards and you would still have room left over for a short game area. Also interesting is that the course wasn't designed to open with back to back par 5s. It's just a function of the location of the Cherry Hill clubhouse.
[/quote]
Alex-Thanks for that information. I thought that the first hole could use a little tree work down the ride side with some of those overhanging limbs from the mature hardwoods. Welcome to GCA. :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back