News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Have more people played Pound Ridge and is it worth the $$?
« on: October 03, 2009, 07:26:32 PM »
I played Pound Ridge twice last year, both times before the economy tanked. 

As many of you know, the price tag is $235.  I'm curious about a few things:

Have many of you played it?
How do you find it for value?
Does anyone know if a lot of people are playing it?

I'll be honest here:  I love Pete Dye's work here, but this is really a P.B. Dye course.  I think the piece of property was an issue in that it's tight and runs mostly along a pretty simple N-S axis back and forth.  I don't think it's worth $235 - but I don't think many courses are...not even many truly great ones.  I spent $350 at Friar's Head, (caddie included), and while I really like the course...that's too much for any course except maybe Augusta.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Have more people played Pound Ridge and is it worth the $$?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 07:47:07 PM »
Jay,

Not my cup of tee, I'm not enamored with the site or the finished product.

$ 235 is a bit steep given the product.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 07:54:44 PM »
Jay,

Not my cup of tee, I'm not enamored with the site or the finished product.

$ 235 is a bit steep given the product.

I'd second that opinion...not worth the price, nor the time or ammo to play it!!

Hey Mucci,

I hear you & your trusty side-kick Joel are playing my joint with Alex Fleyscher (aka Steve's pigeon) this coming week....be sure to leave my pigeon with his wings on!!!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 08:05:04 PM »
Does anyone know if they are getting a lot of rounds?
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 09:10:50 PM »
Jay - I have no idea what the play is like at PR. I live in NYC and work at a club in Westchester and have only talked to 5 people who played it. 1 was a writer who played opening day, and the other 4 came from western canada to play my club in an outing and got an extra round in the day before.... QR was their favorite by a landslide!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 09:11:42 PM »
Jay:

I believe the dollar amount for the rounds has been lowered somewhat.

No doubt the fee being charged as the equivalent of what the Yankees were selling those preimum tickets next to the dugouts. No one paid for them and as a result the team lowered the number -- the resulting bad PR also didn't help.

Pound Ridge opened right at the onset of the economic situation we are still facing.

I played it twice -- both on media days when the press was invited.

The course has playability issues big time -- as Steve L mentioned plenty of ammo is needed and any hint of military golf (left/right/left) is severely penalized. I'm also not a fan of the high grass cuts used for the mounds that flank a number of the holes -- this causes plenty of demanding sidehill lies from deep grass.

You also have issues there with the tree placements -- the ones on #18 are clearly in need for serious cutting down action.

Pound Ridge was squeezed for an 18-hole layout -- you also have routing issues in which balls can fly into one another -- the tee box at #11 sits in line with the tee balls flying from the 12th tee box.

It would not surprise me if the club tried to move into the private realm because getting public play to come forward with such a fee structure is going to be tough -- especially when nearby options are rather decent to even good.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 09:25:48 PM »
The tree on 18 is an abomination.  So are the ones on 16.  Come on lightning, where are you?! ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back