News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Nicklaus does play other courses-Friar's Head and Atlantic
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:46:02 AM »
With Tom Watson at Friar's Head and Atlantic...Sebonack too for good measure as he was in the neighborhood. Other than his play there, did he speak about the courses. Paging Joel Zuckerman:

He headed to eastern Long Island after attending the recent U.S. Open Tennis Final (he claims to watch and play much more tennis than golf, one notable exception to his almost-nonexistent golf viewing being when his longtime friend and rival Tom Watson almost won the British Open this past July). In a "buddies" trip during which he played 72 holes in three days, he recalled scores of 71 at Friar's Head, 74-72 on Sebonack (his own co-design with Tom Doak), and then, sore from his first 36-hole day in an estimated 20 years, a final-day 76 at Atlantic. But he was quick to point out he now plays from the member tees, and not the tips. (No shame there, as his 70th birthday is looming come January.)

http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/a_date_with_the_golden_bear
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Cliff Hamm

Re: Nicklaus does play other courses-Friar's Head and Atlantic
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 11:24:24 AM »
I was most surprised to read that Jack Nickalus plays from the member's tees.  Good for him.  He is setting a good example for 99.9% of golfers.  If he can have the sense to play from the member's tees, why do so many less skilled golfers insist on playing from the back tees?  How many playing from the tips could beat Nicklaus? 

C. Squier

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 11:30:09 AM »
He's also setting a great example by saying those who can't break 85 wouldn't know a good course if they saw it  ::)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:42:35 AM »
Read the article.  I'm surprised Jack says several of the greens at Cypress Point are too severe.  Wonder which?  I guess #9 but that's to be expected on such a short par 4.  #18, oh well.  I really didn't find those greens particularly severe at all.  Just sort of surprised to hear that remark.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 11:49:11 AM »
Read the article.  I'm surprised Jack says several of the greens at Cypress Point are too severe.  Wonder which?  I guess #9 but that's to be expected on such a short par 4.  #18, oh well.  I really didn't find those greens particularly severe at all.  Just sort of surprised to hear that remark.

Bill,

You could add 8 in there, and maybe #5..but still thats only a handful of greens.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 12:10:59 PM »

Bill,

You could add 8 in there, and maybe #5..but still thats only a handful of greens.

Imagine if he played Pasatiempo.   The greens at CPC and Pasa could be deemed too severe if they are really fast.  I remember playing CPC one time and the greens were probably running 11 or 12 and they were almost impossible.  I had a 8 foot put coming down hill on #1 (pin was in the back)and it went off the green.

Will Smith

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 12:23:14 PM »
Jack has been great for the game, but I think he is a step behind the times. Interesting that this article derived from a press junket where he was showing off  "the impeccable service component of the club, the fine dining, richly appointed clubhouse and lush on-site villas."  Golf needs to move away from this over-the-top model not reward it with higher rankings and laudatory articles. I guess MV must be looking for members if they are worried about there rankings.

Good to here that Jack played some other courses.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back