News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nick Werner

Hello (New Member) New
« on: September 30, 2009, 06:57:40 PM »
Hello all.  Just wanted to introduce myself as I just signed up.  Here's the brief summary of me:

Current Index:  5.5
Home Club:  Olympic Club
Top 100 Courses Played:  Cypress, Olympic (Lake), Riviera, Spyglass, Mayacama, Pasatiempo.
Other "Best in State" Played:  Spanish Bay (CA), Southwind (KS), Lake Sunapee (NH), Newport National (RI).
Also, outside of SFGC, I think I've played most courses between Marin and San Jose in Northern CA.  Happy to give my thoughts on any of these.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 06:55:14 PM by Nick Werner »

Jim Colton

Re: Hello (New Member)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 06:58:55 PM »
Welcome Nick, if that is in fact your real name.

JMEvensky

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 07:03:03 PM »
Welcome Nick, if that is in fact your real name.

That's good--really good.

Welcome Nick.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 07:08:42 PM »
Welcome...saw your list of courses and was quite impressed.  Then saw Newport National.  Actually a course I play frequently.  What did you think of it?

Rob Rigg

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 07:09:08 PM »
That is quite a backstory . . . Mr. Jon Spaulding's new alias!

Welcome to the site Nick - Hopefully you purchased a flak jacket before joining :)

Nick Werner

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 07:23:03 PM »
I played Newport National in June 2008 the day of one of my good friend's wedding.  I'll have to admit the focus was much more on showing my buddy a good time than serious golf.  But from what I remember, I thought it was a very good public access course.  The condition was quite good and I thought the routing was pretty interesting.  However, it's difficult for me to be too high on it as, again just in my opinion, it pales in comparison to the other RI course I've played just across the water - Sakonnet, which has some of the best greens I've ever seen and is a great little Donald Ross track.  I think Newport National only makes the Top 10 in Rhode Island because it's such a small state - not sure it cracks the top 50 in California.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 12:29:26 AM »
Just what we need, another member from Olympic.

In all seriousness, be careful what you say or you'll be blackballed and exiled from Olympic.  You must praise the superintendent no matter what you think or else face certain backstabbing.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 01:00:21 AM »
Welcome, Nick. It's always good to have another local. How many SF Bay residents are posting these days? It must be at least a couple of dozen...?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Nick Werner

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 01:06:15 AM »
Thanks Kyle.  One here.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 01:21:05 AM by Nick Werner »

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 01:27:49 AM »
Nick, welcome aboard.  There are always questions about Northern Calif courses posted here, so good to have another resource.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 01:37:43 AM »
Nick,

Where do you live - SF, Peninsula, East Bay? There is a solid contingent on here from all parts of the Bay Area.

ed_getka

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 05:52:11 AM »
Nick,
    Welcome to the site. Being leaned on is a good analogy for Olympic Lake. I think the doglegs and tilted fairways make for a great test of golf and one's ability to shape a shot. I don't want to go back to the first tee for another round, but I am happy to go over to the Cliffs course. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back