News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

I miss England already - some random images
« on: September 28, 2009, 12:29:20 PM »
It will take me a week or two to get all of my photos properly labeled and ready to post. However, I had such a wonderful time on my first golf trip to England that I wanted to go ahead and share some images and commentary.  Rather than discussing GCA, I thought I would try to give some sense of what made it such a special place to me.

I carpooled with Bob Jenkins and upon my arrival in London on Saturday AM, we picked up a rental car and headed down to West Sussex.  It's a perfect introduction to the London area.

My dog is ready to move over.

Weather was warm and humid, so we didn't need any shelter.

Pretty much everywhere you went there was some sort of public access across and/or along the course.  Etiquette varied amongst the walkers.  I particularly remember some lady walking along the Deal seawall & talking loudly about the penguin population of Chile.  Wish I could have heard the whole conversation.

Trouble abounds on the heathland courses.

Detour required unless you're pretty agile with the trolley.

Pretty strong deterrent to going in after your ball.

Next up was Rye.  Don't even think about playing a fivesome!

Before you go out, you can consult the handy clubhouse wind measurement system.  Flip the switch to confirm direction.

My first look at WW II fortifications.

There seemed to be a lot of black lab members.

So the rabbits must do their scraping at night.

This is a rather old road you cross to get from 11 green to 12 tee.  I didn't have the camera handy to take a photo of the three-wheeled car that drove past on his way to the pier.

Want to know how gorse gets started out?  Looks like this was being added to protect a green from tee shots on 10.

Modern technology has not bypassed Rye, though.  You use this instead of ringing a bell on one hole. 

Old seawall?  Not in the way at all.

Mark Pearce

Re: I miss England already - some random images
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 12:37:17 PM »
John,

The Chilean penguin conversation was during our singles match, I think.  Like you I wish I'd heard that whole conversation!

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 12:40:08 PM »
Hang tight, Mayhugh. Judging by your prodigious travel itinerary, you’ll probably be back there in a few weeks (after tackling Japan, Australia and Argentina).

Mayhugh find solace until then.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

John Mayhugh

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 12:41:43 PM »
John,

The Chilean penguin conversation was during our singles match, I think.  Like you I wish I'd heard that whole conversation!

Mark

It was indeed.   She was quite loud and her pronunciation of penguins was impeccable.

John Burzynski

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 12:42:19 PM »
Wonderful pics, they really give a flavor of the courses.  I have GOT to get over there.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 12:45:17 PM »
Hang tight, Mayhugh. Judging by your prodigious travel itinerary, you’ll probably be back there in a few weeks (after tackling Japan, Australia and Argentina).

Mayhugh find solace until then.

While I like the way you think, those places aren't in the cards for me anytime soon.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 01:33:13 PM »
i loved those labs at Rye.  They sat and stared at the ball as their owner prepared to pitch onto the 16th green, then their heads swiveled in unison toward the shot when he hit it.  Dogs on the course are part of the joy over there, but don't try here.   :(

Brad Swanson

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 01:37:21 PM »
I'm with you regarding the dogs, John.  The black labs at Rye are a wonderful sight, but a yellow lab would be even better!

Cheers,
Brad

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 01:38:18 PM »

John,

I misread this thread. I thought it said Miss England. I'm glad you had a great time. Thanks for the photos.

Anthony

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 01:51:39 PM »
I'm with you regarding the dogs, John.  The black labs at Rye are a wonderful sight, but a yellow lab would be even better!

Cheers,
Brad

How about the pro's dog at Rye?

Bill,
If I were a Rye member, I would make sure my dog knew to sit and offer a proper handshake at the end of the round.

Anthony,
You missed a great time.  Something tells me you would have had some fashionable socks to wear with shorts.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 03:05:29 PM »
New Business Venture - hire a Lab, $12 a round plus tip.

John this is aready a great post, looking forward to the rest of it. You are displaying a fine understanding of UK golf. I believe the Rye secretary authorised a 3 ball in 1984. The dog bowl overflow at water fountains are also a sign of a club's quality in the UK as is a caravan park!
Cave Nil Vino

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 03:36:34 PM »
John,

Mark

It was indeed.   She was quite loud and her pronunciation of penguins was impeccable.

Yes nothing can beat the stentorian bray of the well educated home counties english gel for carry. Think Margot.

I'm assuming we were following you and the same woman was still 'conversing' at full volume.  She was downwind of us, high on the sea wall.   Bob Jenkins and I were amused as she pointed out to her walking companion, 

"Look they're building more of them, tee's or green's or whatever."
Let's make GCA grate again!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
"Look they're building more of them, tee's or green's or whatever."

In other words, proper buggering up her walking path along the seawall.

Mark C,
No good caravan park pics.  My mistake!  The lab rental would have gotten a few pounds from me. 

Eric Smith

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 04:19:49 PM »
Great stuff - thanks John for the photo tour.  I love the humour displayed with the life ring next to the pond. 

Brent Hutto

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 04:20:11 PM »
If I'm able to attend next year, I'll chip in a twenty to get Muldoon to bring his Heeler or Lurcher or Rounder or whatever you call it. Probably give you more action for your money than two labs.

BTW, here's a fearsome hazard indeed...with life ring if I'm not mistaken.

Note the yellow stakes, this one would be marked as a lateral in USA. This one is in Wales, maybe we'll see it at a future Buda.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 04:25:14 PM by Brent Hutto »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 04:26:21 PM »
Great stuff - thanks John for the photo tour.  I love the humour displayed with the life ring next to the pond. 

I don't think it's a joke.  Supposedly those things are quite deep.  I saw something similar adjacent to the course at Deal and remember seeing the same thing at Portmarnock in Ireland.

Too many Pimms and one could be in trouble.

Scott Warren

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 04:40:27 PM »
Sadly John is right. The only humour is of the unintentional kind on behalf of the UK's Nanny State approach to halth and safety.

I believe I am actually skating on thin ice not having a life ring next to my bathtub!

Oh, and John M, "lab rental"? We just call them hookers where I'm from ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 04:52:05 PM »
Do Brits not know how to swim?   :-[  ;D  ;)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 05:32:10 PM »
Oh, and John M, "lab rental"? We just call them hookers where I'm from ;)

... and, they too just sit and stare as you play your next stroke!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Eric Smith

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 10:59:49 PM »

I don't think it's a joke.  Supposedly those things are quite deep.  I saw something similar adjacent to the course at Deal and remember seeing the same thing at Portmarnock in Ireland.

This tidbit has been added to my notebook for building a future golf course. 

With the goal in mind to try to mimic the style and feel of a UK heathland course we'll incorporate:

revetted bunkers
blindness
f&f
sleepers
'rumple'
life rings alongside water features

Bloody brilliant!!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 07:52:55 AM »
Don't drive too fast down Coronation Road or you'll miss the turn.

The train also looks like a good way to get there, but not sure if you could get dropped off behind the third tee.

As with everywhere else, dogs are welcome.

But leave those future Royal Ascot winners alone.

Seemed like the horses were taking the afternoon off work.

A glimpse at what this forest looks like when you get off course.

All you penguin-talking walkers, stay away.

Don't want a lawsuit.

A great place to sit and take in a perfect day on a beautiful course.

Simple bridge is all you need.

Next up was Sandwich AKA Royal St. Georges.

More walkers.....

You can see the famed "three sisters" cooling towers from all over the course.  I'm told this is a non-nuclear facility, but Conrad's joke about the mutant fish at Deal is still just as funny.

Just drop your ball and set up the order from the tee.  That red paint looks awesome.  (sorry, I can't figure out why photobucket keeps rotating this pic)

Dogs?  Of course, but only with members.  I had a pleasant talk with the club secretary at the end of the second round.  He was practicing on the putting green with his two dogs offering some moral support.

Another great shelter. 

Wish I had counted all of the bunker steps throughout the course.

Maybe it's just the camera angle.......

Gareth Williams

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 09:04:38 AM »
Super pictures John.

I really need to play at Rye to add to my "Colt Collection" i think...

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 01:26:33 PM »
Is this the finest post on English golf ever??

Mayhugh - at these clubs surnames are the norm - has completely captured the spirit of the courses and clubs without showing us hole after hole. Lets face it unless you spend 3 or 4 days at a club to get the perfect light and have a great camera we'll never quite show the holes how the professionals do.

John looking forward to seeing your interpretation of Deal and Walton Heath, especially your machine gunner shot!
Cave Nil Vino

mike_malone

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 02:06:09 PM »
   I asked the gentleman with the two black labs whether they found balls. He said  "21 yesterday and only 3 today". I guess they say that to all of the Americans.
AKA Mayday

John Mayhugh

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2009, 04:49:54 PM »
Is this the finest post on English golf ever??

Mayhugh - at these clubs surnames are the norm - has completely captured the spirit of the courses and clubs without showing us hole after hole. Lets face it unless you spend 3 or 4 days at a club to get the perfect light and have a great camera we'll never quite show the holes how the professionals do.

John looking forward to seeing your interpretation of Deal and Walton Heath, especially your machine gunner shot!

Thanks for the kind words.....on to Deal! 

This is one of the coolest clubhouses I've been in.  I love the overall look and the balcony is a great place to watch your teammates come in.  Views are sublime.

The clubhouse (and some cars) are not completely safe from the tee shot on the first.  I'm not sure why anyone would park in that little circle front right.

The hose referred to in the sign are modeled by Mr. Pearce.

No dogs playing the days I was there.

But plenty of walkers.

The seawall would be a great place to walk and muse about flightless aquatic birds.  As you can see, the course is quite close by.  Sandwich is just up the coast and you can see the three sisters of the power plant off in the distance.

Both classic and modern structures are viewable from the course - the WWII pillbox and the caravan park (the caravans being a sure sign of a proper links).

The pillbox wasn't really in play for golfers, but offered some interesting views.  I just made one quick stop in.

These flagsticks aren't going to blow out.

Fascinating to have an old Roman road cutting through the course.

And if the day gets too rough, you can always stop and visit Ken.  Tradition has it that you can rest until the next group has finished out their hole and is also ready for refreshment.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back