News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Jones

Long Island Public Golf Courses
« on: September 11, 2009, 07:06:01 PM »
Besides Bethpage, what are some good public golf courses on Long Island?

Thanks,
Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Pete Lavallee

Re: Long Island Public Golf Courses
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 07:16:47 PM »
Tall Grass, Gil Hanse design, great fun.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 07:39:23 PM »
Paul:

After the Black it might be best for those so inclined to play the Red Course at the same complex. The Blue and Green are also worth a play for those who may not know much about the other courses at the complex.

No doubt Tallgrass needs to be in the mix. You also have a stellart layout -- although I don't how good the conditioning has been rceently with the likes of Montauk Down State Park -- the course is within four (4) miles of tge famed lighthouse.

I like Spring Lake in Middle Island -- good 27-hole complex. Sunkern Meadow is also a decent alternative.

Anong the newer courses you also have Oyster Bay in Woodbury -- a TF design that is routed in and around a former estate. I am not a fan of LI National -- located in the Riverhead area -- it's a RTJ, Jr. layout and is a bit contrived and far removed from antyhing remotely calling itself a links.

Harbor Links is a Hurdzan / Fry located in the Sands Point area and it took, if memory serves, a former garbage site and turned it into a muni-owned layout.  Again, it's no links by any measure.

Among the old time public layouts worth a play include Pine Hollow and Crab Meadow and Middle Island.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 08:38:45 PM »
I believe they are renovating some of the holes at Montauk over a period of time. I plan on playing BP Red and BP Black as well as Montauk Downs next summer.

Long Island National isn't worth playing even ONCE then?
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 08:55:09 PM »
Public on The Island:

1. BB
2. Montauk - long trip out there, but it is pretty cool atmosphere and a very good course. Combined with the Montauket at sunset for drinks and dinner with the bikers and locals, it is a great day:
http://www.montauksun.com/Montauket/
3. Tall Grass
4. LI National
5. Bethpage Red.

There are some others in the mix including Oyster Bay (which will be crowded) but nothing special.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 09:02:26 PM »
Mike:

I've always liked what Montauk is about -- few people will realize this but although the course is listed as a RTJ layout -- it's really more of the hand of Rees who was much more engaged with that project.

One other thought on Montauk -- I'd really be concerned about the turf quality -- especially the greens -- all of my visits there have required full shoulder tuns on any putts outside of 20 feet. Likely things possibly have improved but it makes little sense to take that long haul and a layout that is barely beyond a "C" in terms of turf quality even though the layout is quite good.

Rich:

I'm not a fan of LI National -- believe you can get more value with a place like Oyster Bay (although Mike is correct it can be quite crowded there). There's bit nore on the alternative route if you stick closer to Nassau County.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 09:09:39 PM »

One other thought on Montauk -- I'd really be concerned about the turf quality -- especially the greens -- all of my visits there have required full shoulder tuns on any putts outside of 20 feet. Likely things possibly have improved but it makes little sense to take that long haul and a layout that is barely beyond a "C" in terms of turf quality even though the layout is quite good.

Matt,

Next trip go to the Montauket BEFORE the round!

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 09:13:07 PM »
Whats the matter with Eisenhower Park? Nobody likes that place? I've never played the tourny course, but I would think it would be 1/2 decent and worth a look, no?

astavrides

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 09:32:08 PM »
Whats the matter with Eisenhower Park? Nobody likes that place? I've never played the tourny course, but I would think it would be 1/2 decent and worth a look, no?

yes.

Gene Greco

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 10:54:35 PM »

The turf quality at Montauk has been superb for a couple of years now. The last time i saw it was the end of June. What has changed since then??? :-\
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Paul Jones

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 10:59:41 PM »
Thanks for the all the replies, looks like Montauk and Tall Grass are the 2 favorites.

Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Matt_Ward

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 12:07:48 AM »
Gene:

Help me out OK -- when you say "superb" are you saying that Montauk Downs is now the equivalent of BB in that particular category ?

I was there at the end of '08 and it was still high cuts for the fairway turf and greens which were clearly in need of a trim too.

If things improved that much that's good to know.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back