News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

Re: Dr. B's Course Review OTW - #5 -- THE VIRGINIAN GOLF CLUB (photo tour)
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 08:08:49 AM »
Wade:

Yes, the boulders are still a cool feature on 13 but the view after walking through them is not so cool anymore.  The barn on 8 stands as well, I had one picture which showed the barn but didn't show the hole very well.  The picture of the 8th posted is from the tee box just left of the barn...there is one further back (210 yds).  I do like the fact that the 8th hole has 7 tee boxes (there is such a variety of angles, distances and hole locations) -- there are two back tees about 30 degrees apart in the approach angle.

Sean:

I can't disagree with anything you have said.  Some of the problems that you pointed out could be "fixed" fairly easily by changing grassing/mowing lines.  One thing that is unusual about The Virginian that is hard to appreciate from the photos is just how severe the fairway bunkers play.  There is almost never a situation where you have a chance to advance your ball all the way to the green from a fairway bunker, they generally require a wedge to clear the very tall lips.  I have mixed feelings about the severity of the penalty (depends on whether I am the one in the bunker or it is my opponent  ;))

Thanks for your comments and insight.

Bart

Sean_A

Re: Dr. B's Course Review OTW - #5 -- THE VIRGINIAN GOLF CLUB (photo tour)
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2010, 11:21:36 AM »
Wade:

Yes, the boulders are still a cool feature on 13 but the view after walking through them is not so cool anymore.  The barn on 8 stands as well, I had one picture which showed the barn but didn't show the hole very well.  The picture of the 8th posted is from the tee box just left of the barn...there is one further back (210 yds).  I do like the fact that the 8th hole has 7 tee boxes (there is such a variety of angles, distances and hole locations) -- there are two back tees about 30 degrees apart in the approach angle.

Sean:

I can't disagree with anything you have said.  Some of the problems that you pointed out could be "fixed" fairly easily by changing grassing/mowing lines.  One thing that is unusual about The Virginian that is hard to appreciate from the photos is just how severe the fairway bunkers play.  There is almost never a situation where you have a chance to advance your ball all the way to the green from a fairway bunker, they generally require a wedge to clear the very tall lips.  I have mixed feelings about the severity of the penalty (depends on whether I am the one in the bunker or it is my opponent  ;))

Thanks for your comments and insight.

Bart

Bart

Yes, that is true of many hilly courses - the bunkers play deeper than their actual depth.  However, when one gets a lovely looking bit of terrain such as below, then slops it up with five bunkers which add very little, but one or two to proper scale could add a lot visually, I have to wonder.  

Granted, the horrible seam from fairway to green is easily fixable, but when combined with that bunkering I really have to wonder if these folks have a clue as to details?

Anyway, I look forward to installment 6.  Its lovely to see courses I know so little about.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:24:02 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back