News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

Why men hit further than women?
« on: September 02, 2009, 12:32:59 AM »
My brother asked a question out of the blue over lunch today for which i had no answer.

Considering that the size of some of the tour players such as Mike Weir or C Howell III doesn't seem to materially effect their length , even tho they  may not be the longest players they still hit it a fur piece , and my stock answer as to why can they hit the ball as far relatively as the other players on tour( flexibility , core strength, clubhead speed) why do women who are often as big or bigger than he and i hit the ball so much shorter? I know the LPGA players can hit the ball  a goodly sum but the better women players we play with around here don't come close to our length even when similar in size to us. Is it athleticism?( what is that exactly?)

Clearly it is so because the ladies tees are grossly shorter than even men's member tees?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Garland Bayley

Re: Why men hit further than women?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 12:36:35 AM »
Come on Ward! I had to give this same lesson to young Jordan Wall years ago. The men are on steroids! Specifically testosterone!
Find a lady on steroids and she will hit it far! And swim fast, run fast, etc. etc. etc....
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

ward peyronnin

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 12:39:08 AM »
believe i'll postpone my vasectomy Bayley
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 12:41:21 AM »
Ward,

That won't do anything with respect to your 'roids.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Choi

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 12:53:44 AM »
I've read somewhere that for the same size man and woman, man still has about 50% greater muscle (by weight) and has about 30% more strength.

You can see the muscle size difference (especially upper body) in bodybuilding competition between similar sized woman and man.

The woman would have to be significantly larger than a man to be able to drive as well.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 01:00:56 AM »
grip strength

seriously
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 03:30:49 AM »
Ward, the bottom line is that 30,000 years ago, your super-great grandpa was chasing mastodons.

And what Mike wrote is also why Mike Weir gets zip on a full wedge, a softer landing out of a bunker, etc.

Steve Lang

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 09:37:24 PM »
 8) i concur with mike..

the low cap ladies i see with good grip strength are able to hold on and bend the shaft during their swings and send it farther.. add some wrist action and voila.. big lady hitter

most mid to high cappers actually let go and regrip and/or don't break their wrists to create any lag.. power robbing actions..

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 09:53:34 PM »
Corey Pavin, the shortest hitter on the PGATour, would be T16 on the LPGA.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 09:58:20 PM »
grip strength

seriously

"that.... and a pair of testicles"  - Jeff Lebowski

Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back