News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

9 holes of Donald Ross for $17 - Harlem Valley GC - Pics
« on: August 07, 2009, 08:59:23 PM »
http://www.harlemvalleygolfclub.com

It is not without flaws and who knows if Donald Ross was ever really at the place, but there are some pretty good holes and for $17, this 9 holer is in awfully good shape. Up in Wingdale, NY north of Westchester County:

Way uphill par 3 Third hole, plays 175

4th hole - dogleg right, tough green to hit

Downhill 5th

Uphill 6th

7th hole reminded me of Yale #8 with some Eastward Hoish landing area. Great hole:

It was not perfect, with a long flat par 5 8th and then a 90 degree right turn with some blockage:

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 06:27:40 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Tom Dunne

Re: 9 holes of Donald Ross for $17 - Harlem Valley GC - Pics
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 09:09:35 PM »
For my money, Wingdale is one of the creepiest places within a hundred-mile radius of NYC. I had no idea there was a Ross mail-in up there.

Edit: Oh, wow. In the second to last photo, that's got to be the old prison peeking through the trees, right?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 09:11:10 PM by Tom Dunne »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 09:20:06 PM »
In the second to last photo, that's got to be the old prison peeking through the trees, right?

Old Psychiatric Center. Could be the perfect place for a GCA.com outing.  ;)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 09:31:21 AM »
Mike,
HVGC is a fun spot.
You do play the 8th to a green straight ahead when playing it as the 17th.

There was another course in Wingdale at one time. It's now a 7th Day Adventist camp.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tom MacWood

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 11:32:36 AM »
Does anyone know the history of this course? It sure looks older than 1928.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 03:07:11 PM »
Tom Mac,
Sorry, but I don't know much about it.

In 1911 there was a plan to build a prison on the site but only a few of the buildings were built. These are the (4) structures just west of the train tracks. It was supposed to be a successor to Sing Sing but the plan was abandoned for various reasons and the  plans to convert it to a psychiatric center happened in 1923-24.

I suppose it's possible that something was built prior to 1928 but there wasn't much there until 1924.

The director's residence still exists along the 4th hole.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 03:12:59 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 09:26:25 PM »

The director's residence still exists along the 4th hole.

Jim,

That big cart path in some of the pics above is actually a driveway to that house. Not sure if it was a tear down, but it seems to be a complete redo. Still a nice place.

Richard Hetzel

Re: 9 holes of Donald Ross for $17 - Harlem Valley GC - Pics New
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 09:27:32 PM »
Ahhhhh....I used to drive thru Wingdale NY with my Dad and wish I could climb the "GIANT CHAIR".

The Hunt Country Furniture Company of Wingdale, NY, used more than a ton-and-a-half of wood to build a huge Fireside Chair, twenty-five feet tall and fourteen feet wide. It was quickly recognized as the World's Largest. And yet, after only two years of accolades, it was chopped into kindling. Accusations that "young people were climbing up and doing unsafe things on it" forced Hunt to tear down the behemoth for good.

The next time I am in the area (I just left today, thanks Mike!) I will check that Ross out. I did however play Rip Van Winkle CC (Ross 1919) and Bend of the River GC (1925).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 09:31:21 PM by Rich Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back