News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Schulte

Advice wanted on Ireland Trip
« on: May 08, 2002, 09:02:49 PM »
Planning our trip for next July.  

#1.  Being twenty somethings we don't have unlimited resources for this trip.  Should we save some money and self drive or pay up and have a chauffered Mercedes Bus like those offered through Perry Golf?

#2.  Where do you go to calculate driving times?  Obviously, the old 60 miles per hour theory doesn't apply on their roads.  

#3.  Is it possible to pull off the following itinerary?:
Thursday: Depart US
Friday: Arrive Dublin
Saturday: European Club
Sunday: Portmarnock
Monday: Royal County Down
Tuesday: Royal County Down in the AM
             Drive to Lahinch all afternoon.
Wednesday: Lahinch
Thursday: Doonbeg
Friday: Ballybunion both courses
Saturday: Depart Shanon Airport

#4.  Old Head?  We think we should skip it, and play another day at Royal County Down.

#5.  Any itinerary suggestions, accomodations suggestions, or tee time advice would all be extremely appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:05 PM by -1 »

John_Conley

Re: Advice wanted on Ireland Trip
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2002, 10:06:06 PM »
Matts:

It is late, so I'll be brief.  

Ireland is a rather small island, but you know it isn't as easily travelled as a state in the U.S.  I'd look at regions.

ULSTER:  Royal Portrush, Royal County Down
AROUND DUBLIN:  Portmarnock, K Club, Druid's, Royal Dublin, Island
SOUTHWEST:  Old Head, Ballybunion
WEST:  Lahinch, Carne, Waterville, Doonbeg

(These may not be 1- comprehensive, or 2- entirely accurate.  I'm just going from memory.)

I'd resign myself to NOT seeing all of their best courses on one trip.  You can't do it and have a workable trip.  Newcastle, NI to Lahinch would be a hellish drive to try "in an afternoon".

My suggestion?  Since you are flying into Dublin and departing Shannon, work a loop around that part of the island.  Doubling back might be tough.  You've already done a great job gaining access to some of their best courses.  I've played RCD and Portmarnock on your list.  I'll get back for Ballybunion some day.

Sorry to see that you are missing one of the greatest places in the world to vacation.  The north coast of Ulster has The Giant's Causeway, Bushmill's (the world's oldest distillery), the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge, the Dunluce Castle, and Dunsvarrick Castle ruins all within a few miles of each other.  I've heard others on the board speak of Portstewart, another very good course close to Portrush.

Since costs are a concern, don't be shy about playing a lesser tier of courses - at least as far as their prominence in the United States.  They have several worth seeing outside of The Big Four.

Lastly, since the best part of any trip to the 51st State is spending time with the people, why would you want to spend time driving so much?  After golf, an eve in the local pubs is an experience second to none.  I guarantee you could walk into a pub, buy a Guinness, and strike up a conversation with the natives at the bar.  You probably wouldn't have to buy another pint all night.

Enjoy.  I'm jealous.  Just another place I won't be getting to this year.  :(
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tim weiman

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2002, 10:51:02 PM »
Matts:

#1 - Drive yourself

#2 - Figure 30-40 MPH.  Roads have actually gotten better in the last 15 years, but with a few wrong turns, the 30-40 rate will probably work.  Also, don't forget you've got the Tarbert ferry between Doonbeg and Ballybunion.  John Conley is right.  New Castle to Lahinch is a long way

#3 - I'm totally biased against this kind of itinerary.  It leaves no time to meet locals.  Bad idea.  Again, John Conley is right.  Why not pick an area and stay there?  All that driving around doesn't make a great deal of sense.

#4 - Old Head is one of the wonders of the golfing world and should be seen at least once.  Don't go expecting a good golf course, just go preapred to be amazed.  Also, Kinsale is pretty nice.

#5 - Don't know about access to Portmarnock on the weekends.  Check to be sure.  Expect to be tired after playing both courses at Ballybunion.  Being the summer, you'll have to play the Old Course in the morning and the Cashen in the afternoon.  That's a workout.

Also, by next July, do you mean 2003?  If not, and you mean 2002, you are getting kind of late.

Robert "Cliff" Stanfield

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2002, 03:20:22 AM »
I would have to agree with everybody here so far.  I could not imagine a longer drive in a relative short distance...hate to see you get behind a tractor.

Definitely drive yourself unless you have to do that drive.  Since you are flying out of Shannon it makes it tough...because RCD is definitely a must see, Portrush would be nice.  Maybe you can plan on touring a few in that area like Castlerock etc and then catch a puddle jumper flight to Shannon for departure....look at Aerlingus.com for various airports servicing to Shannon.  If RCD is the venue I would just stick to that neck of the woods and plan another trip another day to the west coast.  There is also a train system...dont know much about it check the Irish travel board I am sure they have a website.

Playing Portrush a couple of times and RCD and then maybe a hidden gem in the area would be a great trip....you dont want to waste time in the car or rush rounds.

Paul Richards

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2002, 05:22:44 AM »
matts:

As I have posted this info on this site before, check around
a bit.  Call John Bitner at Grasshopper Golf Tours as well
as the Perry tours you mentioned.  See what each can do
for you and what their price might be.  John's phone number
is (630)858-1660.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Johnny Browne

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2002, 05:43:00 AM »
Matts,
I can probably give you some helpful advice. I live in Ireland and play at Royal county Down (almost definitely the only member of RCD who frequently visits thissite). There are many good courses to play and it is difficult to fit them all in during one trip and probably not necessary - to do so might mean too much rushing and not enough time to smell the flowers.  However you will be able to play enough to satisfy yourself and your friends.  If you would like to email me off list (johnnybrowne@tiscali.co.uk) I will do my best to help.  Briefly the best courses in Ireland are
Very top :
RCD
Ballybunion old
Portmarnock
Portrush

Next level
Lahinch
Rosses Point
Waterville
Baltray

third level
many links Castlerock, Ballyliffen old and new (new a little manufactured) ennisrcone carne tralee

quirky - some like some do not
Old Head (I do not like - completely un Irish and more scenery than golf)
Doonbeg - unknown but probably too difficult to be really enjoyable.

I have probably left a few out but will come back to you on those.
Regards,  Johnny Browne

Mike Leveille

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2002, 05:44:41 AM »
I agree with what others have said about driving - rent your own vehicle to save the money, and avoid the drive from the east coast to the west coast.  I would do the west coast courses on a future trip and add Royal Portrush and some other lesser known courses in the area to your east coast itinerary.  Try Portstewart, Castlerock and Ballycastle (only 6000 yards, max, so not a "championship" links, but a beautiful setting and a lot of fun), and County Louth (Baltray) north of Dublin and, near RCD, Ardglass (fun, local links).  I have always found that it is fun to mix in one or two of these local links with the RCDs and RPs, etc., especially since the clubs are so happy to have paying visitors.

One benefit of heading up further into N. Ireland to the RP area is that you will be spending more time with the locals and less time with all of the American tour groups that descend upon Ballybunion/Old Head/Lahinch.  Nothing against Americans (I am very proud to be one), but I alwasy find it more fun on these trips to have a few pints with the locals as opposed to the same guys you meet back home.

As far as accommodations, if you do go to RP try the hotel on the cliffs above the fifth hole - I believe the name is the Royal Court.  Nice clean rooms, fair price, fantastic views of the course and coast, and a nice pub right in the hotel.  I can track down the name if you need it.

Enjoy your trip.

Robert "Cliff" Stanfield

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2002, 05:48:12 AM »
If you are on a limited budget here is a question to ask the RCD.  I also would try and plan your own trip if on limited budget because you will save money and enjoy the fact that you got to go where you wanted and with whom instaed as cattle herded from course to course.

If you still have a student ID card from college keep it and put it in your wallet when you come over...if not find a way to get one made, because we played RCD for 20£ this past year because they had a student rate...it was like stealing candy from a baby.  Plus alot of the larger towns...not many...have discounts for food for students...must ask before ordering.  Also rent the car from US...although dont be suprised Ire car renters are the worst fees hidden.

Just a helper...plus you may want to start booking this summer before all the crowds come and rebook when they finish their rounds this summer...aka Ballybunion is the quiekest to fill....RCD is still in the US fear zone for tourists so you should be fine there.  Co. Louth near the Dublin airport is worth a play.  If you can only get in one round at Portmarnock skip the old one from what I hear its ok but I would opt for older anyday.

Paul Richards

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2002, 05:51:25 AM »
matts:

As I have posted this info on this site before, check around
a bit.  Call John Bitner at Grasshopper Golf Tours as well
as the Perry tours you mentioned.  See what each can do
for you and what their price might be.  John's phone number
is (630)858-1660.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2002, 06:02:33 AM »
My advice would be to consolidate into two areas, and skip 1 or 2 of the big names on this trip. European to RCD to Lahinch are 2 long trips in terms of time. There are lots of great courses that people skip in order to hit the name courses. See http://www.westcoastlinks.com/english/html/home/index.html

for a few on the Northwest coast.

mike_malone

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2002, 09:31:01 AM »
recommend playing when you get off plane.the Island is near airport and portmarnock.do not go to the european club,because must go thru Dublin back and forth--no bypass--.the course is fine,but it is not better than the Island,particulary when you take into account the drive.stay near the airport.Malahide is train ride into dublin and gets you above the city to begin your trip toRCD.county louth(baltray) is good.on way to RCD go to Newgrange,a druid burial site,the irish pyramid.it is outside town of Drogheda.Newcastle,Lahinch,Ballybunion are small seaside towns--not the most attractive,stay in smaller towns nearby where you can get local feeling.after first RCD round,go to Ardglass--cheap and fun and close by.  a few years ago i put together a trip that went from ballybunion to dublin after a morning round and we were not twentysomethings.so, you could do RCD to lahinch but it is long .do believe trip up to Portrush and Portstewart is good idea.IMHO portrush is overrated vs.RCD andBallybunion.go see giant's causeway and carrick-a-rede bridge.again stay out of town.i stayed at Bushmill's Inn--perfect but maybe not for cost conscious twentysomethings.   the next time i go to ireland i am going to the northwest.you should examine this area because it is underrated .when you go to lahinch make sure you get Doolin-the hotbed of irish music,see the cliffs of moher.near is ballybunion is my "sleeper" or fillin course--Castlegregory.     i think it is much harder to get tee times for 12 players and easiest for 4.If you go in june you can play golf till 10.but it is the most expensive.if go offseason(oct. to apr.)much les expensive,but iffy wheather.glad to see irishman said no to old head.it is course for rich americans--have often heard"great views"not "great golf"
AKA Mayday

Tim Weiman

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2002, 09:52:48 AM »
Johnny Browne:

Based on four visits to Doonbeg, I would say that people are going to find the course awfully hard.....unless you've got a game like Greg Norman.

As for Old Head, it is hard to imagine a place that encourages more mixed feeling.  I hate how un-Irish the place is and the course isn't very good.  But, the physical setting still remains something people should see at least once.  I guess that's what John O'Conner is banking on.

Matts:

As other have pointed out, trying to hit everything is typically American and makes very little sense.  I first started going to Ireland about fifteen years ago and will always treasure the friends I've made more than necessarily playing golf on each visit.  My hometown of Cleveland isn't real close to Ballybunion, but I still go over sometimes without even playing golf.  

Think more about making life long friends than hitting every name course.  You'll have much more fun that way.  

Ken_Cotner

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2002, 10:03:46 AM »
Matts,

Can't disagree with anything anyone has said.  I have done the RCD-Lahinch drive (the opposite way, after a morning round at Lahinch), and it is long but doable.  So if you are set on travelling between these two areas, don't hesitate.

Ditto on trying The Island upon arrival in Dublin.  It is a really cool place and good course -- more like the west coast with large dunes than the other east coast courses.  Very remote-feeling.

Enjoy!

Ken

Matt Schulte

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2002, 10:24:12 AM »
THANK YOU EVERYONE!!  We really appreciate all of your insights.  

Someone else just suggested taking the Larne / Stranraer Ferry.

Arrive Belfast.  
Take the ferry across.    
Play Turnberry two days
Take the ferry back.
Play RCD two days.
Play Portrush two days.
Play Portstewart and Castle Rock in one day.

That seems very manageable.  What do you all think?

Robert "Cliff" Stanfield

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2002, 11:02:42 AM »
Be careful taking a rental car across the pond...check with agency there could be a problem there but hey what they dont know will never hurt them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:05 PM by -1 »

THuckaby2

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2002, 11:14:25 AM »
matts - sounds like a hell of a plan to me.  My cousin lives in N.I. and he's taken that ferry across to play various courses in Scotland many times.  It's very doable.

BTW, he's a member at Castlerock.  Send me an email if you wanna hook up with him - he's a great guy and loves to entertain guests.

TH
tom.huckaby@clorox.com

D_Barton

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2002, 12:02:50 PM »
If you are in County Clare, I can give my unqualified recommendation for staying in Doonbeg at An Tintea’n Guest House. Doonbeg is a small, beautiful, coastal town 30 minutes south of Lahinch and 90 minutes north of Ballybunion using the ferry. It is a wonderful authentic Irish experience. Francie and Connie Killeen provide warm hospitality and a very clean, comfortable guest house in the heart of town. The phone # is 353-6590-55036 and they have a web site at www.antintean.com.

John_Conley

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2002, 03:14:27 PM »
Matts:

That trip sure  changed in a hurry!  Belfast to Scotland, with more time on the North coast of Ulster.  It looks terrific, and will be a lot easier than your previous sketch.

Go back another time and try that part with Doonbeg, Old Head, Ballybunion, and Lahinch.

Unless you have two weeks it will work easier to cut Ireland in parts.

ClarkW

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2002, 05:49:35 PM »
Lots of good suggestions thus far. Having done a few variations of the loops suggested myself, I must say that my regular group that goes to Ireland has also toyed with the idea of the ferry you suggested. Although if you are looking to save $$, I don't think that a few days at Turnberry will achieve that goal :o Pretty pricey from what I've read-- even when compared to the most expensive in Ireland. Check into whether that same ferry delivers you to the vicinity of Macrihanish and Machrie (I believe that it does).  Haven't had the opportunity to make it there yet myself-- but I wouldn't miss the opportunity if the ferry ride goes right by it!

Also, I hate to be the lone dissenter but we've always used a bus with driver. Yes, it adds to the cost but there is not a more secure feeling after an exhausting wind whipped day on the links than stepping onto a bus with someone who knows where he is going (and hasn't had a couple of post-round pints in the clubhouse already). In my mind, the safety/peace of mind factor outweighs the additional cost. We've ended up developing a great relationship with our driver who now helps us plan our biannual itineraries.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back