News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Review of Bountiful Ridge GC, Bountiful Utah w/ pics!
« on: July 30, 2009, 01:18:25 PM »
Bountiful Ridge Golf Course in Bountiful, UT recently made Golf Digest’s list for best muni in state so I thought I would do a review.  http://www.golfdigest.com/rankings/courses/greatest/2009/08/bestmunys_in50states.

The course was built in 1975 by Utah’s own William Neff, ASGCA. (ASGCA added for Mr. Sims  ;D, http://www.uga.org/awards/hallfame/neff_w.html). It sits on the side of a mountain bench like many other notable courses in the area and the views are nothing short of spectacular.  At $24, the course is affordable to almost all and it’s both a nicely conditioned course and well run operation.

Locally the course is mostly known for its “country club” type feel from the moment you enter the grounds which keeps the tee sheets full when combined with its low fees. If I didn’t know differently, I would have guessed it was originally built as a private facility and then converted, but indeed it wasn’t and the city of Bountiful likes it that way. I give them major kudos that they can make this model work with their very inexpensive fees.

While the course is routed over mostly undulating terrain it’s not quite severe enough to be considered a “mountain” course, but there are a lot of elevation changes to factor in on many shots. Its finest attribute in my opinion is its greens which are often difficult to determine the break due to its aforementioned location on the side of a mountain. While fairway bunkering is non-existent, many of the holes are doglegs which add interest off the tee. The course has a good balance of holes that are short/long, narrow/wide, and even a few interesting forced carries. The bunkering is pretty standard fare and the water feature on the last hole is not to be missed…I really mean this...it’s perhaps the finest obviously fake water feature I’ve ever seen!!!   :D

Overall while it’s a neat experience and one of the better publics in Northern Utah, I can think of several other munis in the area that I would easily rank ahead of this one. While it has a few interesting holes, many are forgettable and they went absolutely nuts with the cart path placements as you will see in the pictures. At best it’s a 3.5 on the Doak scale and only worth a play if you live in the area. With that being said on to the pictures!!

P.S For those who are familiar with this course due to Access Software’s video golf game, I’ll be interested in hearing your thoughts….yes that means you Andy!!   ;)

Hole 1 -  Par 5

This first hole is a medium length Par 5, where the green can be reached with a well struck tee ball!

The approach in to a green guarded by bunkers left and right.

Hole 2 - Par 3

A medium length par 3 with a downhill tee shot.

The green is actually very severly sloped, and I managed to get up and down for a par from here!! 

It was so hot that day, even the gallery was seeking cover.....  ;D

Hole 3 - Par 4

This medium length par 4 will get your attention very quickly as missing left or right off the tee means bogey or worse is almost certain.

The approach in after a chip out back to the fairway!  :'(  You can get a good look at one of the elevated bunkers that are all over the course.  Almost a bit Pete Dye-ish in nature, a variant on the Volcano bunker!

Hole 4 -  Par 4

This long par 4 will require all of your attention.  Bust a big one over the ridge line and get an extra turbo boost.

The approach in to a fairly forgiving target..

A closer look at the green.

Hole 5 - Par 3

This long par 3 requires a well struck tee shot to find the green as it plays over 200 yards uphill.

Hole 6 - Par 4 - The first of 7 straight par 4s.....

This shortish par 4 requires a right to left tee shot if you want a good look into the green.

The approach in to a pretty vanilla green complex.

Hole 7 - Par 4

A good tee shot is a must to carry the large canyon over to the fairway on the other side. A worm burner will be bogey or worse.

The approach in from the top of the ridgeline.

Hole 8 - Par 4

This was a missed opportunity in my book over what could have been a neat driveable short par 4.  It only plays 300 yards, but its uphill all the way and all the trouble is way too close to the green to make it tempting.  If the tees were located further to the right and 40 yards up..who knows. Instead its a long iron off the tee...

...with a wedge approach to a very tricky green.

Hole 9 - Par 4

This medium length par 4 really puts a premium on accuracy for the tee shot and approach.

The approach in to a target where you can't miss long or left...and right is no bargain either.

This was a very fun 3 tiered green....by far and away the most undulating green on the course.

Back 9 to come soon!!!

Kalen Braley

Re: Review of Bountiful Ridge GC, Bountiful Utah w/ pics!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 01:41:04 PM »
Hole 10 - Par 4

What can I say, just a miserable dull straight hole with OB right.

Hole 11 - Par 4

After a slog up the hill, this long par 4 is definitly a 1/2 par hole....4 is a great score here.

The approach in..

Hole 12 - Par 4

Hitting a long one gives a big advantage here, because the approach shot won't be blind.

The approach in from further back.

Hole 13 - Par 5

The tee narrow tee shot..

And the approach in to another tricky green that was hard to read the break.

Hole 14 - Par 3

A mostly dull par 3, but the tee box surrounds were kinda interesting...shoulda took a pic of that.

Hole 15 - Par 4

A really neat tee shot over a barranca to a dogleg left hole.  I don't have any other pics of the hole...probably cause I was a distracted by butchering my way to a triple bogey after a pulled tee shot.  :-X

Hole 16 - Par 3

Another long par 3 with a nice backdrop.  You really had to keep it straight here as long left and right are dead.

Hole 17 - Par 4

An interesting uphill par 4 that requires good play for a par.

The approach in..

I too got stuck behind "Freds tree" after a poor approach shot.  Apparently Fred was an old guy who used to play the back 9 almost every morning for years and years until he passed.  Well one morning as the story goes he hit this tree 4 times in a row and after word spread they named it after him.  I think it added interest to the hole, so I'm all for it.  I guess it should says Freds Tree(s) though because they have since planted two trees right behind it.   ;D

And that my friends leads us to the 18th hole...the crowning glory of the course, the one that everyone talks about!!   ;D

Hole 18 - Par 5

A very reachable par 5.  Here are a few pics of the tee surrounds to set up the finish.

The view from the tee...fairly benign, even though its a bit narrow.

A picture of a cool feature in a maintainence area just off the 18th fairway that looks like it escaped from Fossil Trace in Colorado....I thought it was the neatest feature on the course.  ;)

As you reach the crest of the fairway, it then all unfolds before you.  Like I said before, I know many aren't big fans of this sort of thing, but I must give them credit...this is by far and away the finest and most splendid looking artifical water feature I've ever seen on a course.  It really was very cool!!

More pics of the green and its surrounds...what a finish to the round, and I guess we know now why the GD boys put it #1 on thier muni list for Utah.  Sorry Tom...couldn't resist!!   ;D

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 01:48:46 PM by Kalen Braley »

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 02:04:28 PM »
Looks to be a nice course. And I love the great big B on the side of the mountain; what is it with towns in Utah all doing that? And in truth, given the spot on the side of the mountain, that waterfall area doesn't look all that unnatural.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 02:38:59 PM »
Looks to be a nice course. And I love the great big B on the side of the mountain; what is it with towns in Utah all doing that? And in truth, given the spot on the side of the mountain, that waterfall area doesn't look all that unnatural.

John,

Just above that big B on the mountain is one of my favorite local off-roading spots!!   Not sure why they do it though...I guess folks in Utah just can't seem to remember where they live so they mark the side of the mountains with the city just below it.   ;D

As for the waterfall, it is pretty out of place because just above it is the clubhouse and parking lot, so not exactly a great fit.  But if it backed up to a nice canyon, then it would totally fit as these mountains are full of waterfalls...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 02:54:46 PM »

The B has little to do with the city. For example the B could be for Bayley High School (made up), which might be located in Garland, UT (which does exist). It is common in the rural mountain states to have the high school seniors herd the high school freshmen out there before the homecoming game to white was the letter. This practices extends to colleges in the west which explains the large M on a hill above Rapid City, SD.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

C. Sturges

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 06:19:22 PM »
Kalan,

Thanks for posting!  That was always one of my favorite courses.  Loved playing 18 there and then going over to Valleyview.  Nothing better than 36 holes for around $40.  Salt lake City and Utah in general has some of the best golf for the value. Have you played Mountain Dell this summer?  It was also one of my favs.  The original Canyon course was great!
Thanks,
Chris

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 06:23:45 PM »
Kalan,

Thanks for posting!  That was always one of my favorite courses.  Loved playing 18 there and then going over to Valleyview.  Nothing better than 36 holes for around $40.  Salt lake City and Utah in general has some of the best golf for the value. Have you played Mountain Dell this summer?  It was also one of my favs.  The original Canyon course was great!
Thanks,
Chris

C Sturge,

I completely agree....Northern Utah is chock full of good to very good golf courses that are dirt cheap to play and rarely hard to get on.  I did play Mountain Dell Canyon last summer, but not yet this year.  I hope to get up there in a couple of months when the colors start to turn and do a course review then.

So many good options within 40-50 miles of Salt Lake city, its a public golfers heaven.  ;D

Andy Troeger

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 09:15:46 PM »
Its interesting how holes are very different in photos than in the game, although to be honest I really remembered very little about the course from the game. Not to mention, it was one of those games where you could hit the ball 375 off the tee, so it was basically a pitch and putt type course with most of the par fours being reachable or almost so. The 10th actually was pretty interesting as a drivable par four, but I can see how its rather dull for real golf (you cut the road out of the photo!). I don't remember that water feature on #18.

You should have gone and played Banff instead--that was one of the other courses on that game. The original 18 at Troon North was too--it was fantastic in the game and was a real disappointment to see in person when surrounded by homes.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 10:32:10 PM »
Kalen:

Good stuff -- played there years ago but the update is quite helpful.

Gun to your head -- if you had 20 rounds of golf in UT and divided them between TP, South M and Bountiful Ridge how would you divide them up?

Thanks ...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 01:36:58 AM »
Andy,

You can see the road on #10 if you use the scroll bar on the bottom of that 2nd post.  Grrrr....I really really really really really hope they get this fixed soon so we can see the entire pic when posting these up.  This current implementation of how the photos appear is very high school-project like and a simple fix......Anyways on #10 it is very much in play as I almost hit my tee ball OB.

Matt,

To answer your question.  If I had 20 rounds I would play them as follows:

10 at South Mountain
8 at Thanksgiving Point
2 at Bountiful Ridge

And I can think of other courses like Soldier Hollow Gold, WingPointe, Bonneville, Mountain Dell Canyon, etc, etc, that I would choose more hypothetical rounds over Bountiful Ridge.  Once again its a nice enough course, but outside of 5-6 really interesting holes, there just isn't much compelling one to return again and again.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 09:07:58 PM »
While off-roading today above the "B" I took a few photos of the course from long distance. You'll have to use the scroll bar to see it all...I really hope they get that fixed soon.

John Moore II

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 03:31:11 PM »
You and your off roading stuff. Make any more modifications to the FJ? Maybe some new roll bars or something? I can only imagine how many wheels the truck was on what you took those pictures, if we're lucky you were actually on 2 wheels at the time and not 1 or totally airborne.

Not a bad aerial view of the golf course though.

And I told you, right at the base of the hill like that, that waterfall looks totally natural. ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 06:04:57 PM »
Kalen,

I'm not sure the "scroll bar" needs to be fixed. You can either size your pictures to fit with parameters to the img designation, or we (at least in firefox) can right click the picture and choose to view it in entirety.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brent Carlson

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 07:20:31 PM »
Kalen,

Finally.  Glad you reviewed BR.  It is my favorite Utah course.  In the evening it was easy to slip over there and play 9 for about 14 bucks.  Great value and great views.  Another nice thing about the course is the length; not too long or tight which keeps the pace moving.  Next up Hobble Creek:)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 01:43:13 PM »
JKM,

No more mods on the vehicle since adding the rock rails and skid plates.   ;D  That particular road I was on was pretty tame...but earlier in the day I was on some interesting stuff and definitly got the wheels off the ground on more than one occasion!!

Brent,

I will also try to get a review of HobbleCreek done this year as well...fall should be especially nice given its location in the mountain valley with all of the foilage.

Kalen

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back