News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Frinton GC. A few Pictures and a lot of reflection.
« on: July 22, 2009, 05:53:23 PM »

More of a rant than an opinion piece this, but a recent visit to Frinton GC crystallised a few thoughts I’ve had recently.  So if all you like is pictures, scroll down now.  I’m lucky to have played many wonderful courses but this piece is intended to show why not all courses live up to expectations or are as wonderful as the set Sean carefully picks out.

Firstly

I think the average member of this board would be gobsmacked at how little interest most second tier clubs in GB&I have in the history of the club and Course.  Invariably as the centenary comes round a book is produced and the research consists of going through the minutes and trying to identify the ladies in photo’s wearing the silly hat. Most minutes record the name of the course architect but then have pages of details about the cost and problems with the construction of the Clubhouse, reflecting the real interests of the members past and present.

A little history.

Frinton was originally 9 holes laid out by Tom Dunn1895 but then moved to ‘the Marsh’ in 1905 designed by Park (chosen over Taylor).  However the club makes much of its Colt heritage even if the official club history can’t be sure what he did. Following his first visit 1901 there was a new 13th hole and the last two holes were combined.  We are told that in 1922 they laid 12 new greens and 7 new bunkers were added but no architect is listed. In 1927 a budget of £500 was set aside for improvements to the course and Campbell and Hutchinson were retained for 3 years from Easter 1928 at a fee of £100 plus expenses.  However soon after members raised a petition against the works being carried out and notice was served and “Subsequently when advice was needed the Committee employed Colt Alison and Morrison.”. They also sought advice form Suttons Seeds.  There was some land purchase and Morrison suggested moving the 12th green.  Greens were re-laid and “in some cases remodelled. And that is what the history tells us.

As short diversion. 

Many courses in GB have been affected by two world wars, in fact it’s rare that at least part of an existing course not to have been surrendered to agriculture during WW2.  At Frinton during WW1 at first only   12 holes were kept in play, later this was reduced to 9. The full course was back in play by Easter 1920. In 1939 the course was again taken over by the Army and only the first 3 holes and half the 18th remained in play. The areas away from the club were landmined and in restoring it a large no of bunkers that had existed were done away with. 5 greens had to be resewn and it was spring 1947 before all 18 holes were back in play. I think it’s hard to underestimate how many holes across the land are shadows of their former selves.

I think this has to be borne mind every time we look at photos and judge the work of the old dead guys today.  I am quite sure that at Frinton and many other courses the holes, particularly the greens and bunkers, were not rebuilt with any fidelity to the original intentions. At a time when the whole economy and golf clubs were struggling to stay in existence the modus operandi was to get as many holes back in play as soon as possible. 

Finally

The club also advertises itself as a links (admittedly not on the new website), and several people had described it as such to me. There was a recent thread saying that turf defines a links and Frinton is totally lacking in fine leafed grasses, it also features no dunes of even the smallest variety. Situated on a former marsh in 1903 they laid 21000 drainage pipes. It is very exposed to the wind and adjacent to the sea wall but not a links. 

You will frequently read complaints on here that a course is set up today in a way that fights the original intentions of the designer.  THE land at Frinton is like a runway, it’s that flat and they do keep the rough back, its one of the widest courses I’ve played.  However what little has been written about the course has concentrated on “Colts” use of the tidal drainage ditches or Fleets as they are known locally. Well today several of these are just the other side of OOB markers! Also in a couple of fairways the central part that crosses the fairway has been covered in leaving it as a hazard only at the edges. ON a flat featureless course you would expect them to highlight the few natural features they have. Amazing. 

The course,

The first 3 holes are in a loop away from the sea and are a gentle par 4 followed by an upwind ball buster and then this par 3. By Colt – hard to believe?

The first holes are the least interesting, little fairway detailing remains and the bunkers are all shallow.  I’ve only included a few shots of the course as it’s really hard to photograph, being so flat.  The wind made the course - at least four flags were blown out of the holes on the day we played.   

Typical fairway, flat wide and featureless.

here’s the 6th a nifty par 3 – sorry it’s so hard to see but the reeds to add some interest on the way out.

I think it’s reasonable to conclude that if there ever was much interest in holes 4-10, it was destroyed digging those landmines out. But as we move a bit further inland at last some holes to get excited about

11th Par 5

Par 5 Plays directly into the wind and to see the green you have to take on those fairway bunkers on the right.  The left side of the green is heavily defended and the greens all played very true.

The ditches are called Fleets they define the drive on this short Par 4. The green is long thin and raised with the wind across.  (Another odd thing: this is the first of 4 long thin greens in a row, which feel different and have the smack of a greens committee that think they know what the course needs. Worked on this hoel lets repeat it again and again.)

Another Par 3

15 is back into the wind and asks you to choose whether to take on the centre bunker. You can see where the Fleet is built over. And looking back you can see the typically tame bunkering these days. Just compare the statements the bunkers make in Sean’s recent Harbourne thread.

Fun finish with two downwind pr 5’s

On 18 the Fleet is 275 from the tee downwind and all too reachable with the driver.

Fun in the wind. I suspect there's little to challenge on a still day.  Rough sensibly cut down so you can find your ball, but really only a course to play if you happen to be in the area. As it’s fairly remote I doubt many of you will make the trip. End of Rant.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Paul_Turner

Re: Frinton GC. A few Pictures and a lot of reflection.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 09:01:36 PM »
ah well Tony, that's a shame.  I was hoping for better, with the Fletes and mounding being more of a factor.  The only old photos I have are from a Browning guide...the 1950s I think:

can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 10:34:25 PM »
Do you think those ditches are man-made or enhanced by man? The look a little like some of the ditches at Trevose.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 03:40:11 AM »
The weather conditions didn’t help my pictures.

13th today
I suspect the ditch has been moved further from the green?

14th
I was really looking for any features to enliven the foreground of the photos.  However if the mounding in your photo had survived I’d remember it and have taken a picture. I did get into a slight hollow just off the right side of the green but that slight chocolate drop/alpinisation has gone and this is one of the more inland holes.  I wonder if those photo's are pre war?

For Tom MacWood

The ditches have probably been around for a long time helping to drain the land, but today some of them are suspiciously straight.  I read somewhere they were tidal ditches but I think the rushes/bamboo wouldn’t live in saline areas. The new sea wall may have changed all that and most didn’t have any water in them.

Homestead. ;)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 03:44:54 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tom MacWood

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 06:04:59 AM »
Tony
Voysey and Colt, thats a good combination, though the house began as Voysey and Dunn, not bad either. Is the house near or on the golf course?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back