News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

The Par 5 fifth hole at Great Dunes - Walter Travis PICS
« on: July 20, 2009, 12:11:15 PM »
I have been playing golf on Jekyll Island for almost 20 years. At one time I really avoided the Great Dunes course like the plague, but not any longer. I find myself much more drawn to this seaside course the older I get, especially the par 5, fifth hole. I also don't mind the dried out sections on the course (and there are a lot of them) that you will see in the pictures. It is a unique hole and quite challenging as shot placement really comes into play. I would bet, that back in 1926 getting a par was tough. It measures approximately 524 yards from the tips (blue tees). Landing the green and holding it can be challenging, it is a small green, and an unseen target. Enjoy the pics...

View from the tee:

A zoomed pic that is deceiving because that is the 150 stake just beyond the fairway bunkers.

From left side of fairway (snap hooked my drive!):

Right side fairway bunker:

A little farther to the left is a depression, I wonder if it was originally another fairway bunker that was later filled in?

You need a well placed second shot to have a clear shot through the opening to the green. You can go over the palms, but it becomes a blind shot  into a pretty SMALL green.

The 5th green at 6:15am...and an excellent view of the ocean.

View looking back from the 6th tee area...

« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 12:13:53 PM by Rich Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Mark Pritchett

Re: The Par 5 fifth hole at Great Dunes - Walter Travis PICS
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 01:20:32 PM »
Rich,

Thanks for the great pictures of one of my favorite courses.  I too like #5 immensely, what an approach shot.  While this course isn't for everyone, I would be happy with Great Dunes as my home course.  Lots of charm!

Mark

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 01:25:11 PM »
So Rich, for the average player, not a long hitter, is the play to lay up with the second shot in front of the bunkers and then play a 170 yard third shot to the blind green? 

Or is there room over the bunkers before the climb up the hill and the narrowing down to almost a pathway?

Looks like a tough hole if that's the case!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 02:39:30 PM »
A 175 yard shot to that green from behind those bunkers (even the ones on the right) is a TOUGH shot. You had better have tour accuracy at that range with the small green you are going for. Me? I laid up and was lying 3 right near the bottom right of that narrow hill/gap. I hit a nice little lob wedge onto the green and then a 1 putt and I walked off with a par.

If you are very long off the tee you could be pretty close in 2 and your 3rd could be an easy lob wedge to the small, elevated green. I would say be as close as possible in 2 shots, so your 3rd shot can be less than 150 yards in.

Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back