News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

“The Peoples Champion of The 2009 Open”.
« on: July 21, 2009, 08:26:19 AM »
Not to take anything away from Clink but Tom Watson would have been my preferred choice as the new Open Champion. Regrettable his age played a factor but only when it came to the play off.

I don’t know if many heard some of the cheers for Tom, comments like “Do it for Scotland, Tom2”. That my friend is a close as some Scot’s ever come to real praise.

Alas, the bubble bust on the 18th, one could see he was tiring, but what a great effort. As I said, he would have been not only a great Champion (again) but continues being a great ambassador for our Game.

One other point, had Tom won he would have taken Old Tom’s record of being the oldest winner of The Open. A record that I believe both Old Tom and I would have happily seen broken for the good and continued quality of the Game of Golf.

Ladies & Gentlemen I raise my glass to Tom Watson – Four great days of golf and I believe he is “The Peoples Champion of The 2009 Open”.

“Tom Watson”

Melvyn

PS I hope you are ashamed of yourself Tiger, you may win but show very little of the quality and style portrayed by Tom. Lets hope one day you will realise it’s not all about winning. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 11:15:04 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Anthony Gray

Re: “The Peoples Champion of The 2009 Open”.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:33:33 AM »

Melvyn,

Always nice to hear your thoughts.

Anthony

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 08:42:59 AM »
Yea, but Tiger would have drained that putt on 18.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 08:58:50 AM »
Not having missed the cut, he wouldn't.  In fact Woods putting in this Open was, what shall we call it, human?  I wonder if his injury hasn't robbed him of some of his aura of invincibility and his self belief.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tim Bert

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 09:26:05 AM »
Mark -

Understand your point but Ryan is right. I am not part of "tiger's army" but there is no doubt it goes in.

I do think many would miss it but it was disappointing how poorly he struck it. You could feel the weight of the entire world's hopes on that putt.

Not take away from what Mr. Watson accomplished which was wonderful.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 09:40:09 AM »
Ryan

Just adding to Marks comment, Tiger was not good enough to be on the 18th, he did not do it when he needed to so he went home for an early bath.  ;)

Ryan, I will not mention the ifs, but just keep the buts, so no matter how many buts, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but,but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but,but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but,but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but,but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but,but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but,but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but,but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but,but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but,but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but,but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but,but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but you want to use the underlining point, Tiger was just not good enough to make the cut let alone the Final round. :-[

Melvyn

Tim
I do not think you can say that when you look at Tigers performance - whatever, he was as I just mentioned not good enough to get through. perhaps in past and maybe in future games you & Ryan may be able to claim that point. but sorry mate on this one he could not go in within the correct number of strokes. My, using Ryan point,  I could say that no doubt mine would have gone in too - but alas I was not there - only in Spirit. ;)

Tim Bert

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 09:46:14 AM »
Melvyn

Just making the point that when Tiger has the opportunity to close - he does so. Repeatedly.

I am on record being unimpressed with his ability to come from behind on Sunday. I am not singing praises or slighting Watson.

Put him that close to the hole and tell him he gets a major and I think he makes it every time. Even on a bad putting week.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 09:55:28 AM »
And Melvyn could not even do a tribute to Tom Watson without slapping at Tiger AGAIN!

Good topic, classless addendum.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Chuck Brown

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 10:25:24 AM »
I guess this is the right place to add a footnote about Harry Vardon, and his remarkable record in the Open and on links courses.

From 1894 to 1914 -- 20 years -- Vardon played in all 20 Open Championships.  He won 6 times, finished second four times, and was third twice.  In all of that 20-year span, Vardon was a top-10 finisher in all but two years (1909 and 1910) when he was recovering from tuberulosis.
I've omitted Vardon's first appearance, in 1893, when he finished 23rd, from this 20-year calculation.  But it should be noted that at the height of his maturity as a player, in 1915, they stopped contesting the Open for the Great War.  With another five Opens to play in (1915-19), Vardon's record might have been stretched to 7, 8 or 9 Open Championships.  Amazing.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 11:35:24 AM »

But would a 59 year old Tiger have drained that putt?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Benham

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 11:41:49 AM »

Regrettable his age played a factor but only when it came to the play off.

Not to side-track the Peoples Champion but there was made a big deal about his age and as Melvyn surmises, may be the cause for the ultimate failure at the end.

But wasn't his age also the factor to support the argument that he had the experience (and brain power) to win on a links course?

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 11:47:16 AM »
It's interesting that in his post-round comments, Watson said he didn't run out of gas at all. He said it "looked like it" but that he wasn't tired. Instead, he said he just lost his feel for the shots.

I wonder how much of that is true and how much is class (not wanting to make any excuses for his poor performance in the playoff).

On a side note, it is absolutely amazing what modern medicine can do. To think that this guy had hip replacement surgery less than a year ago and was still able to compete at this level just blows me away.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 11:47:28 AM »

Regrettable his age played a factor but only when it came to the play off.

Not to side-track the Peoples Champion but there was made a big deal about his age and as Melvyn surmises, may be the cause for the ultimate failure at the end.

But wasn't his age also the factor to support the argument that he had the experience (and brain power) to win on a links course?

Damn it Mike.

You can't go posting Logical arguements on GCA.com like this.  Don't ya know this site will self-implode if you keep this up?  ;D

BTW, I agree 100%...people always want to have it both ways.  Blame his age on both contending for, and eventually losing the Open.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 11:51:02 AM »
I feel he most certainly would have been a deserving champion, but the putt on 18 was a scared putt, almost like he didn't want to knock it 3 feet past and then have to hole that to make a play off. It was a shame he didn't manage to win as I think it was a wonderful performance.

I also noticed yet another dig at Tiger yet no mention of Montgomerie, who was shouting at marshalls throughout the week, or Garcia, who I clearly heard shout "f*ck" on a mic, or pretty much every other player who slammed clubs into the ground or swore throughout the four days.

Tiger is probably unique in that he doesn't blame others. He makes no excuses in interviews. I wish other golfers would follow this example.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
But would a 59 year old Tiger have drained that putt?

Not on a par 70 ...... not that par is relevant  :-X

JohnV

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 11:56:05 AM »
Tom,  I'm a Tiger fan, but I have to point out that a few cameramen have gotten blamed in the past, both by him and Stevie.

Tiger could and should clean it up a bit as could many others, past and present.  Fortunately for a lot of other players in the past they didn't have hi-tech microphones right under their noses on every shot.

JESII

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 11:57:09 AM »

I think age and experience are two wholly different things...experience got him the putt to win and age had a little to do with his missing it in my opinion.

What struck me, all the way through regulation was that he just looked like the best player out there...he just looked better than the other guys.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 12:09:21 PM »

Sorry Mike,

But he certainly had that when he won his 4th and 5th Open Championships. It was his age that was different this time, not his experience.

Kalen,  :P
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back