News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Sylvia

Country Club of New Bedford
« on: March 16, 2003, 06:52:34 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone knows of any history of the Country Club of New Bedford in North Dartmouth, Massachusetts.  All that I know is that it was originally a Willie Park design however Ross renovated and added 9 in 1924.  Thanks, Tim Sylvia
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tim_Sylvia

Re: Country Club of New Bedford
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 04:34:46 PM »
I'm rather shocked that nobody has ever heard of CCNB as I would think for a course with much better greens and bunkering than at least Brae Burn and perhaps Charles River, there would be some knowledge of it.  

SPDB

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 05:33:14 PM »
Tim - Going back a ways, I had written something about it and the new restoration by Mungeam. I was curious about it, given that his restoration of Olympia Fields has been met with positive views.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 06:01:53 PM »
Tim Sylvia,

I've played the CCNB and liked it, but my recollections aren't very precise, so I haven't elaborated too much.

I was supposed to get back for another round or two but haven't had the chance.

ChipOat

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 06:35:17 PM »
Paging Dave Miller and Ed Baker.

JMD

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 06:38:35 PM »
I'd be surprised if the greens were more interesting that Brae Burn's.  Brae Burn's greens are as intriguing as any in New England.  Although the course is not as long as Charles River or Salem, its greens are memorable.  As Michael Fay's book points out, the greens were ranked third in the country in a ranking by The Golfer about three years ago.

Matt Dupre

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2003, 06:27:59 AM »
Tim,

I lived across the street from CCNB, caddied there in the late 60s/early 70s, and have an uncle who's a member.  That being said, I haven't played there since 1984 (God, where does the time go!).

I do know that there were very few renovations done to the course after 1932, and most of those had to do with the bunkering.  The course is acreage challenged, with the Ross addition primarily being done on land acquired across "the street" - holes 7 - 12, which IMO lack the character and quality green complexes found in the holes on the original plot of land.

The original Park greens are mostly pushed up with great bunkers built into the sides, are very small targets, and have great movement.  I remember 16 as being one of the most difficult greens to putt in the region, due to a ridge on the right side and a buried elephant on the left.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2003, 11:37:33 AM »
Does anyone know the deal with the public (maybe formerly municipal) course in New Bedford that Ross was involved with?

I heard it deteriorated greatly causing a complete renovation or restoration in the last few years.  Is this the one that used to be Whaling City CC?

I'd love to hear info.

--Brad
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2003, 02:55:47 PM »
I grew up playing "the Whale" as it was affectionately known. Whaling City CC, was always the primary municpal outlet for New Bedford golfers. There are 9 holes that were designed by Ross left, (9 were lost when the Route 140 extension was built back in the 1970's). They City of New Bedford replaced those 9 holes and they are as different as chalk and cheese. I have no idea who built the new holes, they are all brauny, and included three 460 yard par 4's, all of which were shortened (nobody could reach them in two with the persimmon woods and balata's of the day). The first hole is still a 465 yard par 4 which plays downhill for the last half. These holes all have large square greens with a bunker on each side, and are a sad reminder of the abysmally poor architecture of that era. They sure did stretch out the score card yardage though, as the course used to measure 6890, when I left in 1978.

The Ross holes are all a joy to play, they feature greens sited on a natural high point or are the pushup variety. They include various shapes; with several wide but shallow greens fronted by bunkers, and two which are long and narrrow with a double tier. All 4 par 5's and 3 of the par 3's are Ross originals. Two of the par 5's play side by side, and to provide fill for the green sites, ponds were excavated. One has a stream 220 yards from the tee with a 230 yard carry to reach an island. It's at least a 170 yard carry from the first stream to carry a second one, so you must play dangerously close to it to make the carry with your second shot, which will leave a wedge to the green. Laying up to the island will leave at least a 150 yard shot in; just a great par 5 design on what was a flat swampy area. The adjacent par 5 has a pond 250 yards from the tee; we would have to lay up with 3 woods in the days before fairway irrigation was installed to keep from rolling in.

The course was closed for some time to facilitate a toxic cleanup, and was just reopened last summer. One of the major industries in New Bedford used to be the manufactuering of electronic components such as capacitors and transformers, all of which contained massive quantities of PCB's. These Companies used to dump their refuse in an old quarry called Sullivan's Ledge, just on the other side of Hathaway Road from the Golf Course. These leaked onto the golf course through a drainage ditch under Hathaway Road and contaminated all the water bodies on the course. For several years before the cleanup occured the all ponds and swampy areas were fenced off with temporary orange barriers, with signs in both English and Portugese, saying to stay out due to the serious risk to your health and life! We always wondered why the balls we would rake out of the ponds and streams were coated in a rusty sediment!

During the renovation fairway irrigation was installed. I played there last summer and for the first time in my life "the Whale" had wall to wall grass in the fairways. This took out all the fun of playing the course as I remembered it; as the firm and fast conditions we grew up with are now replaced with a verdant green which limited the constant danger of running into the trouble. No need to bump the ball though; we had to play the ball up, year round, in the old days. Although it will never make any top 20 lists for Mass. golf, it's a great muni with a lively bunch of devoted golfers, much like the ones descibed by Rick Reilly in his hilarious book "Missing Links".  I must admit I never thought that "the Whale" would ever be mentioned on GCA; it sure does bring back memories!  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tim_Sylvia

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2003, 05:22:49 PM »
To start of with SPDB, the restoration has really done great things, although I never really played there before it, the bunkering is very similar in style to Salem, and many of the traps are as deep as seven feet.  The tees were laser leveled last year, and more irrigation is being done as we speak.  I was not under the impression that the restoration was conducted by Mungeam, but I will look into it next time I am there.  

JMD, I am not saying that all of the greens are comparable to Brae Burn, but maybe six or seven are as good, such as the first, fourth, seventh, eleventh, fourteenth and seventeenth.

MDupre, One thing about 16 which is rather unfortunate, it was totally renovated a few years ago as it was considered to be too difficult, which with what they keep the speeds at it was very unfair at times such as when past club champions four putted from five feet.

Pete_L, Thanks for the great info on The Whale, I was a member there back when I first started playing golf six years ago, prior to joining Allendale CC(a Cornish design of 1956, nothing spectacular) and most recently CCNB. I was never aware that the course played that long, or even that Ross was involved with the layout, although I had heard that number seven used to play about 580 from my grandfather and uncle who have both been members for over 50 years.

If anybody would be interested in seeing some pictures of CCNB I will gladly post them.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2003, 05:09:47 AM »
Tim

Would you say 1 thru 6 were the real Willie Park holes?  #7 is a great par 3, looks like Park, but it is across the road.  Then Ross comes into play @#8 thru #11.  Back to Park @#12.

#13 is almost an "in house" job,  I think the green was moved from the 14th tee area, being too close to Hathaway Road's widening.  (in the 1940's??)  Check this out at the library.

#15 and #16 are Park, to my way of comparison, as is #18.  But Ross -or someone- did #17.

A great fun layout!

Willie

Tim_Sylvia

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2003, 08:47:40 PM »
I checked the master plan at the Club and it was done by Ron Prichard, not Mark Mungeam as SPDB suggested.

mark chalfant

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 12:40:28 PM »
Are there still some nice green complexes here.....

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 12:43:15 PM »
I'm rather shocked that nobody has ever heard of CCNB as I would think for a course with much better greens and bunkering than at least Brae Burn and perhaps Charles River, there would be some knowledge of it.  

Tim,

I played it about a dozen years ago, maybe more.

I liked it, it was a sporty challenge.

Interesting terrain.

I remember some of the holes, but, my global recollection of the course and individual holes is lacking

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back