News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Harvey Dickens

New Member Intro
« on: July 01, 2009, 08:17:04 PM »
Thought I would take a moment and introduce myself.

Harvey Dickens
Age- 49
Home- Campbellsville Kentucky
Married for 24 years. Father of triplet girls age 11
Employed by natural gas pipeline company

Hello to all. I have been lurking on this site for awhile and thought I would like to join the discussion. I am very new to the design/architecture aspect of golf. I have played the game for many years and always had a special interest in the courses but never really thought about why. I am the guy on the buddy trips that picks the courses while other say "just pick some, what difference does it make."

I thought I had played some great courses until I read some of the lists of courses played by members of this forum. My list is not as impressive but no one has had more fun playing their list than I have.We have a nice trip coming up next week, playing TPC Sawgrass, Ocean Hammock and Conservetory. Still looking for one more course to take one of my daughters on if any one has a suggestion.

I look forward to learning more about the design side of the game and the strategy behind it.

Harvey

George Pazin

Re: New Member Intro
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 08:26:50 PM »
Welcome, sounds like you have a terrific attitude toward our wonderful game.

With triplet daughters, I'm guessing you will be doing a lot of late night posting in a few short years... :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 08:32:06 PM »
Welcome.

Have you met GCA celeb John Mayhugh?  He may be the only other Kentuckian on this site (although Bogey Hendren is from Tennessee and I'm not sure there is a difference).
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Harvey Dickens

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 08:37:49 PM »
George,
I am afraid you are right! Until then, I am enjoying playing golf with them. One of the triplets passed away a few weeks after birth, so we have two keeping us busy now. One has become very interested in the game and I am having a blast introducing her to the game. She averages about 200 yards off of the tee and has shot a 49 for nine holes this year.

I have tried to teach them to take care of the course and I hope I will be able to pass along my love for courses to them.

Harvey Dickens

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 08:42:34 PM »
JC,
The name does not ring a bell. Any idea of what city he lives in? Your right, Ky/Tn no difference. I am originally from Ohio which is no different than being from Michigan or Pennsylvania right? ;)

P.S. Kentucky is really underrated when it comes to golf courses IMHO.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 08:45:58 PM by Harvey Dickens »

Jim Tang

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 10:25:57 PM »
Welcome to the board.  Unfortunately, I don't know much about golf in Kentucky.  In your opinion, what are some of the best courses in the state and why?

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 10:59:46 PM »
welcome Harvey

re your trip, the World Golf hall of Fame is not too far away, i believe... a few courses there which are probably alright
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 11:24:41 PM »
Harvey,
    Welcome to the site. Don't be shy about jumping in, this is a great place to learn. My 10-year old son loves golf and that has just added to my enjoyment of this game we love. We had 3 generations out on the course a couple of weeks ago.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 07:33:41 AM »
Harvey,

First and foremost welcome - glad to have you on board.

JC,
The name does not ring a bell. Any idea of what city he lives in? Your right, Ky/Tn no difference. I am originally from Ohio which is no different than being from Michigan or Pennsylvania right? ;)

P.S. Kentucky is really underrated when it comes to golf courses IMHO.

Second, with that last statement, you and Doug Ralston should hit it off great!!!

Chris

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 10:19:30 AM »
Welcome.

Have you met GCA celeb John Mayhugh?  He may be the only other Kentuckian on this site (although Bogey Hendren is from Tennessee and I'm not sure there is a difference).

Harvey,

Welcome to the site.  Mayhugh is not the only Kentuckian on site, but definitely the most famous!   I live in the western part of the state in Murray.  My wife is in your neck of the woods sometimes during conferences at Campbellsville U.

Suprised noone on the site has asked you about Campbellsville's most famous golfer. 

Hope to meet you someday; have a great FL trip.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 11:23:13 AM »
Welcome.

.... (although Bogey Hendren is from Tennessee and I'm not sure there is a difference).

Jack Daniels vs. Makers Mark
Football vs. Basketball
Pulled Pork vs. Mutton
Rebels vs. Union Sympathizers

Not even close. 

Bogey

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Mayhugh

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 11:27:47 AM »
Welcome.

.... (although Bogey Hendren is from Tennessee and I'm not sure there is a difference).

Football vs. Basketball
Pulled Pork vs. Mutton

Not even close. 

Bogey

Haha. At least you're not doing a golf course architecture comparison, in which case KY fares even worse.

We do at least have horse racing, though!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 11:30:37 AM »
Welcome.

Have you met GCA celeb John Mayhugh?  He may be the only other Kentuckian on this site (although Bogey Hendren is from Tennessee and I'm not sure there is a difference).

Other Kentuckians on the site include Dale McCallon (who has already chimed in), David Cronan (Louisville) and Nick Pozaric (Louisville).  Those are all I know about.  

Unfortunately, I am afraid our commonwealth's representation on GCA is consistent with our share of great golf architecture.

By the way, welcome to you Harvey!

JC Jones

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 05:14:02 PM »
Welcome.

Football vs. Basketball
Pulled Pork vs. Mutton

Not even close. 

Bogey

I'll give the nod to:

Kentucky
Kentucky
Tenn
Push

respectively.

Although I will agree with Mayhugh that Tenn is prob better from a GCA standpoint.  Although I'm not sure either are noteworthy (this of course, coming from a guy from Michigan).
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Harvey Dickens

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 11:02:41 PM »
Welcome to the board.  Unfortunately, I don't know much about golf in Kentucky.  In your opinion, what are some of the best courses in the state and why?

I like Big Spring and Hurstbourne in Louisville. Valhalla is okay and Persimmon Ridge was the toughest course I had ever played 15 years ago (the rough was knee high 20 yards from the fairway). I enjoy Dale Hollow and Olde Stone in Bowling Green is a special course. Peninsula is a decent course in the middle of nowhere. Lexington has Kearney Hills and Champion Trace. Old Silo seems like a pretty good course (played it in the worst conditions I have ever played in). There are still a number of courses in the state I would like to play.

I like trees, rolling terrain, exposed rock formations the various creeks, ponds and lakes. In general I think Kentucky has some beautiful land and it is reflected in the courses. The climate here allows for many different grasses... I like Zoysia in particular.

Harvey Dickens

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 11:08:51 PM »
Welcome.

Harvey,

Welcome to the site.  Mayhugh is not the only Kentuckian on site, but definitely the most famous!   I live in the western part of the state in Murray.  My wife is in your neck of the woods sometimes during conferences at Campbellsville U.

Suprised noone on the site has asked you about Campbellsville's most famous golfer. 

Hope to meet you someday; have a great FL trip.

Dale,
My wife teaches at C.U.
Campbellsville does have a pretty famous golfer out there. Great kid and wonderful family.
Next time your wife comes to C-Ville, tag along and I will treat you to a round at any course you would like to play in Campbellsville ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back