News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Pine Hill Golf Club (Pine Hill, NJ): a photo tour New
« on: June 23, 2009, 04:27:16 PM »
I've seen that Pine Hill has been discussed here many times (quite a polarizing layout it seems with the treehouse), but nowhere was I able to find pictures.  So last Thursday, while it was raining at Bethpage, it was raining in Philly too and I had a very nice outing to attend for the Katherine Brower Foundation.  Thankfully it only drizzled on a few holes, although a point-and-shoot camera has a heckuva time focusing in the rain, so you'll notice fuzziness on a couple of the shots.

PH is a Tom Fazio layout that I guess is about 10 years old now.  I played it many times in the early years when it was public, then it went private.  But like handful of private courses in our area these days, they are taking limited public play again if you are willing to cough up about one bill.

There was a long thread on PH a few years back that is here:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,15797.0/

And here is Joe Logan's review of the place from the Inky:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/golf/course_guide/6238342.html

The back nine at PH is nicely walkable, albeit quite hilly in spots, while the front nine has a sequence of holes that are, well, quite stretched out on the property.  Here is the routing:

The opening hole is a 524 yard par 5 with a blind tee shot to a fairway that cants hard to the left.  This hole is a simple start and your better players will probably expect to make birdie.

The 2nd is a 175 yard par 3 that plays a bit uphill.

The 3rd is the No 2 handicap, a 467 yard par 4 with elevated tees:

The green slopes quite severely from right to left, as these pics sort of show:

The 4th hole is a 437 yard par 4 that runs a bit downhill with a lateral area short and right of the green:

The par 3 5th can play out to 210 yards from the tips:

The par 4 6th is 410 yards long and really sort of plays as a slight dogleg right.  A tee shot in the left part of the FW is best, but a very large and fairly deep bunker is out that way:

A 577 yard par 5 awaits at the 7th.  It doglegs left late.  I really like this hole.

The par 3 8th can be stretched out to 205 yards.  The first photo below is from the middle tee box.  And I have no idea why those evergreens have been allowed to grow in front of the hazard short of the green!

Some of the greens might be considered a bit boring at PH, but this is not one of them IMO.

No 9 returns you to the clubhouse and is a uphill par 4 playing a very healthy 448 from the tips.  And it is very uphill at the end with a skyline green:

The 10th is a 477 yard par 4 that plays from a very elevated tee:

A 408 yard slight dogleg left par 4 awaits at the 11th, with a slightly uphill and semi-blind tee shot:

I guess you could call the par 4 12th (399 yards) a bottleneck hole as the tee shot must be placed precisely in order to see the flag through a chute of trees:

On a clear day the Philly skyline is visible on the 170 yard par 3 13th that for me is the least interesting hole on a back nine I like very much.  The green is very deep here, I'm guessing as much as 40 yards.

The 14th is another par 5 (534 yards) that I really like.  The ideal line off the tee is middle left off the FW, but it is easy to bail right, but that leaves a more difficult 2nd shot with water in play left on the 2nd shot:

The 15th is a hard dogleg right par 4 where the standard play is to keep a drive out left, the more aggressive line to carry some of the trees at the corner of the dogleg:

A very downhill par 3 awaits at the 16th hole (203 yards):

By far my favorite hole at PH is the 17th, a dogleg left par 4 (453 yards; and the No 1 handicap hole), with my only minor suggestion would be doing a little pruning of the trees right so a FW bunker is not so obscured:

The 18th at PH also takes you back up the hill to the clubhouse, a slight dogleg left par 4 (406 yards) with another skyline green:

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:02:26 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Sweeney

Re: Pine Hill Golf Club (Pine Hill, NJ): a photo tour
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 05:27:49 PM »
Joe,

Thanks for all these reviews. This one certainly should be placed In My Opinion.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 05:29:39 PM »
Joe,

I would agree with Mike, this looks to be a really nice course and some fun shots to be had for sure.

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 06:21:21 PM »
I played this course a few years back. It looks a lot better in pictures than I remember it to be honest. It was a good course, nothing super special, but not bad. Boring greens for sure for the most part.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 06:40:52 PM »
So what's the 10 course split between Pine Hill and Pine Valley?

On a more serious note, how is Pine Hill's privitization coming along?  Do they still accept unaccompanied/unaffiliated outside guests at certain times?

Ron Csigo

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 08:39:39 PM »
To my knowledge, they still accept unaccompanied guest play on weekdays.  They're not fully private yet.  Wonder if it has anything to do with its neighbor. ;D
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Mike Bowline

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 09:08:43 PM »
Joe, thanks for the photo tour. Taking that many photos must have somewhat distracted you from your round. From my experience taking photos during a round, it can become the reason d'etre and the golf can become secondary. So much so that I sometimes try to sneek out before playing a course that I want to photograph and take my photos during a "photo-only" walk or ride around the course. Even better if it is during a time of day with shadows present.

So thank you for the pics.....

Andy Hughes

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 12:04:28 PM »
Joe, thanks for the tour as always.

I know you have played World Woods...does Pine Hills remind you of WW?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 12:23:17 PM »
Joe, thanks for the photo tour. Taking that many photos must have somewhat distracted you from your round. From my experience taking photos during a round, it can become the reason d'etre and the golf can become secondary. So much so that I sometimes try to sneek out before playing a course that I want to photograph and take my photos during a "photo-only" walk or ride around the course. Even better if it is during a time of day with shadows present.

So thank you for the pics.....

I really do not get distracted at all by photo documenting a course, and it is almost always during a round.  I walk and play quickly, so it is not hard at all to get 150+ pics during a round.  I do, however, watch carefully to make sure my partner(s) are not uncomfortable with me, for example, lingering around a green to get a few shots while they head to the next tee.  And I can still walk 18 and get all my photos taken in 4h or less.  At Hidden Creek last year with the gathering Mike S organized, I walked in a foursome and got some pretty good pics right at about 4 hours.

I agree about the lighting being key.  No real shadows in these PH pics as the round was in the afternoon under cloudy conditions. I  prefer to play either real early or real late, which typically then results in no people in my albums, which is the way I prefer it if at all possible.  :)

Andy, PH and WW Pine Barrens are similar in looks.  To me the prominent differences are:

1.  Even though most of south Jersey is pretty flat, PH has more elevation changes, certainly more severe ones, than WW PB.

2.  WW PB just feels "much bigger", than PH, sort of like how BPage Black 'feels big'.  I've never measured fairway widths at each, but I think WW PB is much wider. 

3.  I believe there is much more waste area at WW PB.  There is plenty at PH, I just think even more at WW.

4.  The greens at WW PB are more contoured.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 12:30:33 PM by Joe Bausch »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 03:37:37 PM »

I've played both and I think WW is much better and more affordable.  I like 4 and 16-17-18 at PH, but $150 a round (when I played years ago) was too much.  However sunday brunch there is excellent and my girl and I have done that few times just to do brunch and putt on the green and hit some balls.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Joe Bausch

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 03:57:59 PM »

I've played both and I think WW is much better and more affordable.  I like 4 and 16-17-18 at PH, but $150 a round (when I played years ago) was too much.  However sunday brunch there is excellent and my girl and I have done that few times just to do brunch and putt on the green and hit some balls.

I prefer WW PB over PH too, but I live much closer to PH.  ;)

What, within 50 miles of Pine Hill live maybe 5 million people, and within 50 miles of WW is about 5 people.  ;) :)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 04:04:01 PM »

I prefer WW PB over PH too, but I live much closer to PH.  ;)

What, within 50 miles of Pine Hill live maybe 5 million people, and within 50 miles of WW is about 5 people.  ;) :)

and that's a bad thing? :)
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jason Walker

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 10:12:57 PM »
Ron,
Pine Hill's membership issues have nothing to do with its neighbor.
I'm an outgoing member there.  It's essentially back to a fully public golf course.  I believe the only members-only times are Sat/Sun mornings 7-11am.  The economy has hurt them for sure, but a lack of direction and commitment to a mission have hurt them just as much.  At one point there was an active, flourishing golf membership there.
I will add... I was out there today and the course is in as good condition as I've seen it in the last five years.  I'm sure the ample rains and lack of play have contributed to this.  Despite its roasting on this board and my expiring membership it's still a fantastic course--easily the best in South Jersey.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 10:37:21 PM »
Jason,

It is a fantastic course and I'm somewhat surprised that it has not become fully private considering some of the other courses underneath the ClubMax umbrella have gone fully private (ie Pine Barrens and NJ National).
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Jason Walker

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 10:48:18 PM »
Ron-
A year ago I would agree with you--surprised it hadn't happened.  But now, with the economy and the mgmt by Empire Golf, I'm not surprised at all.
The ClubMax thing never did anything for folks in South Jersey/Philly.  Pine Barrens (a far inferior course) was over an hour away so it was never an incentive.
I could write a novel on this issue given what I've experienced over the last four years, but the reality is they had their shot about two years ago and blew it....and got stuck in a purgatory of not knowing what to do and a ton of members have left since then.  Shame, since the course keeps getting better:  they have finally figured out how to firm up the the place, the greens are finally playing how they're supposed to, and they have opened up some areas on the front nine holes with tree removal.

mike_malone

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 10:59:03 PM »
 The course lacks width, so most of the hazards are just to be avoided.
AKA Mayday

Jason Walker

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 11:01:57 PM »
lacks width?  you have to be really crooked to be off the course there.  But which hole would you consider tight, i.e. 'lacking width'? now, if you are off the course, you're screwed.  But to say it lacks width?  I disagree.  Little Mill--lacking in width. 

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 11:12:01 PM »
When Pine Hill first opened in 2000 there was much anticipation in the area that it would be a contender for GD's Best New. After all it is a Fazio and near Pine Valley.It was to be  "the public Pine Valley."  It never made the top 10. I spoke to a rater at my former club about his experience at PH and he went on talking about "shot values." It was like listening to a language that I didn't understand. Here is Joe Logan's review from 2000:

www.philly.com/philly/sports/golf/course_guide/6238342.html

I've played there many times before it went sort of private and the course grows on you even though it is difficult. I'll play it again, perhaps I'll move up a tee box, and see how it's matured.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe Bausch

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2009, 01:09:40 PM »
With the news that Trump has bought Pine Hill, and the recent thread discussing it, I thought bumping this photo tour was appropriate.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2009, 01:47:52 PM »
I didn't make it over to Pine Hill this past season so unless Trump invites me or an outing presents itself next year, I won't make it back.

Joe,

Thanks for refreshing my recollection about the course. There are some fine golf holes there- 9,10,3,7,12 & even 18 come to mind.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Jason Walker

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2009, 01:50:08 PM »
Steve-
I was a long-time member (see other post on this topic) and will be reactivating my membership in 2010.  I will be more than happy to host a GCA group there whenever.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2009, 01:54:37 PM »
Jason,

Duly noted.  ;)

We'll need a venue for a summer outing.

Steve Okula

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2009, 02:02:09 PM »
There is a suggestion in the other PH thread that the place may be financially distressed.

They are walk-mowing not only greens but those expansive approaches, which doesn't make economic sense, nor does putting a greens triplex on the fairways, as is evident from the photos.

They could probably cut about 20% off the maintenance labor budget without sacrificing any playing quality at all.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Jed Peters

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2009, 03:34:31 PM »
Lot of talk about this club...not being the quality of its neighbor (what is?) etc. etc.

The photos look REALLY nice.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2009, 03:46:12 PM »
Joe:

Great to have the pics reposted.

There's plenty there at PH that can be tweaked to be even better.

Like I said before -- hard to see two many par-4 combos in NJ that are beyond the likes of the 9th and 10th there.

I'm hoping The Donald will do something to add to what is there now.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back